• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rohol Liqueur -- It's black. It's liquid.

beans

Okay my last inquiry for the day!

A few years back a group of bartenders from my place of employ pilgrimaged west to the sacred partying rock in our lake for the annual end of summer debauchery 3 day trip. While we were thoroughly and diligently conducted taste testing of each pub's offerings we saw this promotion everywhere on a small poster:

Rohol -- It's black. It's liquid. It is a black liquid.

as it's headline. We laughed at it as it got funnier after each round of drinks. It sort of became our mantra for the trip. But only once we managed to taste it. Sort of similar to an herbal taste like Jägermeister.

Its product packaging was interesting -- a small aluminum shaped keg that rested on its side with a dispenser. More descriptors are lost to vague memories....

But then it disappeared! :angry::unsure:

What happened to the product? Where was it from? Why was it banned? Anyone else try this stuff? As with most urban myth I heard crock stories it contained opiates and/or hallucinogens.

Anyone?

Thanks!

• 8 months later...

Okay, I'm digging this one up in hopes that drcocktail's vast product knowledge may spark some info. :smile:

The liqueur came and went so quickly, our distributor reps have changed too often to remember ever knowing anything about it and internet info is (was, I haven't googled it lately) quite scarce.... Just what drives the curiously seeking simply mad!

Doc? Anything?

Oh, you mean that rodent/grain alcohol/molasses infusion from a few years ago? Now why wasn't that more POPULAR??? :laugh:

Actually, I am sorry to say I can't find any record. I've kept my Pattersons through the 90s and nothing.

But now you have ME fixated on it! *DOH*!

It's a little out of my era, but there was one like that for me too - 7 Fruits Liqueur. Finally after YEARS I found a single pamphlet on it but STILL don't know what's in it.

I've got two fellas I can ask about Rohol. Let me get to it.

--Doc.

No replies yet. Couple of things: I am convinced that, in some eastern Euro language Rohol means crude oil.

I've narrowed the timeline down to 2000/2001. Then I found this which might explain a lot:

Rohol: Sparkling wine aromatized with hemp, traditional method.

Curiouser and curiouser! --Doc.

Oil would be about right. The time frame this was around was 1996. (Told you it was a few years back!) Oh well, there's a reason why it disappeared, right? :laugh:

Thanks for trying.

Edited by beans (log)