• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salads

Elizabeth_11

Hey everyone, I've been in a huge salad fix recently, having one approximately 4-5 times a week for dinner, and am seeking some interesting variations. I've been mostly using grilled chicken breast strips as the meat component, along with the usual bed of mixed greens, red onions, olives, cucumbers and basic vinaigrette type thing. Nothing special, but tasty. My question is: do any of you have a favorite combination of add-ins and/or dressings you prefer? I'm feeling saucy and would like to branch out. :biggrin:

-Elizabeth

Mmmmmmm chocolate.

my husband and i pack salads for lunch every day. our current favorites include greens with boiled potato, string beans, and a hard boiled egg, or greens with grapes, walnuts, and blue cheese. we also enjoy cold brown rice thrown in to your average salad for a bit of toothiness and deliciousness.

thinly sliced steak (london broil?) marinated in fish sauce thai chilie paste garlic & a wee bit of sugar sliced over butter lettuce, cucmbers, chopped roasted peanuts, slivered snow peas , thinly sliced chinese cabbage slivered carrots & cherry tomatoes w. dressing made of lime juice a bit of reduced fish sauce, sugar, & wee bit chili paste or fresh sliced hot peppers (depends on how hot you like things)

Grilled Tuna w. fresh haricots verts, steamed fingerling potatoes, olives red onions & medium hard cooked egg dressing made from EVOO, anchovyes, leomn juice & dijon mustard

Smoked trout, steamed beets, steamed fingerlings & creamy horseradish ( yogurt, horseradish, lemon juice EVOO salt & pepper)

Cold buckwheat noodles, steamed chicken, raw bean sprouts , scallions, slivered carrots, slivered red peppers, shredded roamine lettuce w. dressing of tamari, pickled ginger, seasame oil & lime juice

sliced avocado w. lemon, salt & pepper, sliced smoked chicken breast/ sliced ripe red tomato w/ evoo & salt & pepper

these are some of my easy summer favorites

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

I enjoy blue cheese, smoked salmon, thinly sliced steak, candied walnuts.... but not all of them at the same time.

I had a really great salad the other day with asparagus, bacon, and blue cheese. I think it is a new fave.

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

thinly sliced steak (london broil?) marinated in fish sauce thai chilie paste garlic & a wee bit of sugar  sliced over butter lettuce, cucmbers, chopped roasted peanuts, slivered snow peas , thinly sliced chinese cabbage slivered carrots & cherry tomatoes w. dressing made of lime juice a bit of reduced fish sauce, sugar, & wee bit chili paste or fresh sliced hot peppers (depends on how hot you like things)

You beat me to it. When I made that a couple of weeks ago, I used thick-sliced roast beef, bought at the deli. Talk about a perfect summer dinner! Also works well with cooked shrimp, squid rings, or cubed firm tofu. And I like to add bean sprouts and slivers of sweet onion.

noodle salads are really a great change of pace form the everyday lettuce salads.

One of my current favorites (and about as low fat as you can get) is with either rice noodles or mung bean noodles and any vegetables in the house (carrots, cucumbers, cabbage, lettuces, red onions, really anything shredded or julienned) with a handful of mint and or cilantro, some peanuts (chopped) and a dressing with nampla-lime-sugar and a kick of sriracha if I feel like it.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

forgot to mention another recent fave of mine, bean salads.

I take a can of beans (any kind though I favor garbanzo, kidney and black beans) and mix it with what ever I have in the house. A couple days ago it was black beans, avocado, cherry tomatoes, fresh jalapenos with lemon juice and EVOO. Other times it it might be some leftover rice (rinsed in a strainer to seperate it) then added to kidney means, some bell pepper, maybe red wine vinegar and EVOO...

.. then there are garbazo beans with celery and tuna.....

....and don't forget the rice salads.......

Salade frisee (frisee with lardons, poached egg).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

This hads been a bean salad summer for me..I've always made them, but somehow this summer they are my first choice for a quick and easy meal...I like heat with beans, so there is usually a hot pepper of some sort, or at a minimum red pepper flakes! I make a red bean chipolte concoction that I'm very fond of...

A quick trip into the garden tonight let me know that Saturday will be FCD (First Cucumber Day) here in CT (for me at least). Yes we had a crappy, rainy spring, so FCD is late!

FCD will be celebrated with fresh cukes, pickling style (what else?) rinsed under running water enough to break off the spines. Part of the celebration is the fact that these will be the first cukes that are NOT PEELED!

Once they are cleaned and ready to go, they will be sliced thinly an put in a mustard vinegrette with about 1/2 finely chopped shallot per cuke some salt and pepper, a smashed clove of garlick or two and left to stand for a few hours. Just before serving, some fresh dill, chives and chopped parsley will be thrown on.........Gawd I love this time of year!

HC

Greek salad with feta, roasted red peppers, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.

Mixed Greens with candied walnuts, pears and blue cheese and a pear vinaigrette.

One similar to Torakris' but with a peanut sauce based dressing.

Salad with vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, beans, whatever looks good) omitting the lettuce tossed in a vinaigrette.

Bill Russell

Flaked Baked Salmon in a Ceaser Salad

Marinated London Broil on a bed of Soba noodles tossed in a rice vinegar-soy sauce dressing with sliced scallions and fresh mint

Roasted Corn, black beans, diced red onions, diced orange pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, EVOO, and red wine vinegar and smoked turkey breast.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I received a salmon filet last week from a neighbor who was moving and it was very hot out and I didn't want to think too hard. Seeking inspiration at Trader Joe's, they have a cold japanese (not soba, paler) noodle salad with spinach (whole leaves that you shred yourself, oddly) and a little packet of crushed peanuts and a tublet of cilantro-lime-ginger dressing. I sauteed the filet (badly) and flaked it into the salad and it was ridiculously good. Will absolutely do again come payday.

forgot about tofu salads! :shock:

I love tofu with cucumbers, tomatoes, seaweeds, and a sesame dressing.

My current favorite (that I eat for lunch at least twice a week) is a block of tofu, cubed with cucumber slices and topped with sweet-chile sauce.

forgot to mention another recent fave of mine, bean salads.

I take a can of beans (any kind though I favor garbanzo, kidney and black beans) and mix it with what ever I have in the house. A couple days ago it was black beans, avocado, cherry tomatoes, fresh jalapenos with lemon juice and EVOO. Other times it it might be some leftover rice (rinsed in a strainer to seperate it) then added to kidney means, some bell pepper, maybe red wine vinegar and EVOO...

.. then there are garbazo beans with celery and tuna.....

....and don't forget the rice salads.......

Then check out my Black Bean and Rice Salad.

Let's not forget bacon salad, either -- a variation of my bacon on bacon sandwich involves bacon and bacon -- crumbled. No nothing else.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

boston lettuce

red leaf lettuce

some arugula just because

thinly sliced red onion

sliced orange

shaved Parmesan cheese

fresh ground pepper

I top with a sweet celery seed/onion dressing based off a recipe in Marcia Adams' Cooking from Quilt Country. Yum.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

The hands down favorite for summer in my crowd is the "bean and hominy salad" variations that I make that all started with the Pace Picante Texas Caviar.

The original called for blackeyed peas, hominy, Pace, onion, bell pepper, fresh jalapenos, cilantro or parsley, etc.

It has morphed to using garbanzos, black beans or red kidneys, preferably Goya brand. I like to use different salsas. A current favorite is La Victoria chunky green type. Add your veggies as you wish. Celery is a current favorite. Ripe red, orange or yellow bell pepper is preferred. Finely minced garlic is good. I find that you usually need to splash in some kind of vinegar to give it a kick. I don't think I have made it the same way twice in the last couple of years. I just dump stuff together until it looks pretty and tastes good.

I get threats with bodily harm if I don't bring this to some occasions. Or, at least, "You can come if you bring that bean and hominy stuff."

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose