• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cascadia

My husband and I went to Cascadia for the first time last weekend. We decided to order from their set menu which is a three course prix fixe menu for $25.00. I chose the grilled summer vegetable salad and my husband ordered the Chilled Golden Tomato Gazpacho Soup to start. My salad was good but the soup was excellent. Next I chose the Escalope of Pork Loin and my husband ordered the Barbecued Chopped Steak. The Escalope of Pork Loin was a thin slice of pork loin that was so thin it was like eating pork leather, the Steak was actually a hamburger patty that was served very, very rare. Don't get me wrong I love my beef rare but this was bordering on tartar. The dishes were simply horrible, it was as if we were being punished for ordering from the set menu. We talked to our waiter and he apologized and told us to order another entree from the main menu. He even went as far as to say that the set menu wasn't a good representation of the food at Cascadia. When he returned with our new entrees it was as if we were transported to another restaurant, one that had excellent food. Our waiter was very kind to us he felt horrible about the whole situation. I don't understand why restaurants offer special set menus and then turn around and serve terrible food, shame on them.

If I should ever return to Cascadia it will be for a drink in the front patio and some food from the happy hour menu.

Unfortunately I think your experience was more typical than not. I myself had one of the worst high-priced meals ever at Cascadia, and I ordered their "signature" tasting menu (see review here - scroll down to almost the bottom of the page). Give me Brasa a few blocks away over Cascadia anyday.

Lord knows I love to slag on Cascadia, probably more than it deserves and the breadth of my experience warrants, but...

over on the food site who's name shall not be spoken, there has been a recent series of very positive accounts of meals at Cascadia, primarily written by visitors from out of town. I'm not ready to go running back yet, but...

wood's account at least indicates that there are servers there who really care about the customers. I wholeheartedly agree with the comment that restaurants just should't bother with a $25 menu if they're going to do in a) on cheap and b) half-assed. The places that did the $25 thing well have made their money off me and the people I've recommended their restaruants to subsequently...

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

As a recent visitor to Seattle, I feel duty-bound to record my review of Cascadia, which was published elsewhere first.

At Cascadia, we ate early (our stomachs were still 3 hours ahead), so were the second table there. Excellent tasting menu choices. Two different 7-course choices, one “Food From Here” the other “Coast To Coast” (and a vegetarian choice) so we chose both of those (only 1 course duplicated). Unfortunately (?) the Copper River Salmon was ‘off’ – they’d finished it the night before and felt that the quality was now slipping as it was end-of-season. To be fair, even in the market it was advertised as ‘last chance’. However, the menus seemed excellent, so we looked over the wine list. Again, reviews had criticized the prices, but they now have a section called ’30 under 30’ which offers 30 wines under $30 (as well as more expensive stuff). Now came the first ‘problem’. A couple were seated adjacent to us who felt that wearing strong colognes/perfume was somehow attractive. This could have destroyed our meal and wines. I discreetly approached the receptionist and explained the problem. We were quietly moved to a corner table and no table settings were transferred i.e. new water glasses, napkins etc. The old ones were removed quietly and the other patrons weren’t aware of anything. Very well done.

Matching wine with tasting menus is always difficult so we asked if they could arrange for different wine tastes with each course (nothing on the menu suggested it could). But, no problem! We explained what we would have ordered otherwise (a white (Alsace) from the under 30 list, plus a couple of relatively expensive reds by the glass). So the sommelier agreed a price ($80 total for two people) and did a commendable job. With the Smoked Salmon and Prosciutto/Figs/Mascarpone courses we had two Pinot Gris (one Washington, one Oregon). With the shellfish (Oyster/Clam Chowder and Maine Lobster/Alaska Spot Prawns we had a Carneros Chardonnay and an Oregon Chardonnay. The lemon cucumber basil sorbet was common to both menus (no wine). The fish (Spice Rubbed Halibut/Crisp Calamari and Monkfish/Foie Gras) came with Bollinger Champagne and 1991 Argyle (Oregon) Late Disgorged Sparkler. The ‘mains’ (Fenugreek Crusted Lamb/Black Truffle Jam and Grilled Wild King Salmon) came with a local Tempranillo and Pinot Noir. And the cheese courses had a Leonetti Sangiovese and a sweet German (great contrasts). Dessert was our choice from the menu.

We also finished with a Clear Creek Apple Brandy (imitation Calvados) that was excellent.

All in all an excellent meal – and a bargain considering what we were served. No attitude to be seen anywhere. Formal but friendly service all round, and they even printed off a menu for us with each of the wines included so that we would be able to recall them all.

This was a GREAT meal all-round. No attitude, fresh ingredients well prepared, well-paced and excellent wines.

I love that this restaurant generates so much controversy.

This is my major complaint about Seattle restaurants... inconsistancy. I absolutely hate that. I had a great meal at le Gourmand a couple of weeks ago, but a certain couple I know said their meal there on another night fell short. And one can go down the line with almost every restaurant in Seattle (ie Tom Douglas's 3 places, and so on)...and it's the same sad story over and over... inconsistancy, or great one night and mediocre another.

Well said, but do we really corner the market on inconsistency? I doubt it.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 1 month later...

Did you guys know that Kerry Sear is a vegetarian? And yet his menu has a lot of meat/fish items. How does he know any of it tastes good if he doesn't taste it? He says he trusts the palates of his sous chefs. But it's his name on the marquee.

The last dinner I had there was really good overall -- but it was a winemaker's dinner and there were VIPs and such there, which means that party got extra attention from the chef. But previous to that, I've had several not so pleasant experiences. I'd much rather go to Lampreia.

this just in....

" SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 10, 2003--Cascadia Restaurant's Gourmet Mini Burgers, as prepared by owner and chef Kerry Sear, highlighted the menu at President Bush's August 22nd, 2003 re-election campaign luncheon in Bellevue, Wash.<

President Bush and approximately 900 guests consumed over 2,000 Mini Burgers at the event held at the home of cellular phone pioneer, Craig McCaw. The bite-sized burgers are made of seasoned beef tenderloin and topped with shallots, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, and sea salt.< "

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni