• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you do when there's stuff you want?

KateW

I have an amazon wish list going that I add a new thing to at least once a week. Once a month or so, I go to it and treat myself to a thing or two from it. Right now it is all cooking stuff--a couple cookbooks, books about food, and gadgets. I've also seen a few sites I can probably buy out pretty fast--ethnicgrocer.com for instance. A trip to Sid Wainer would probably have similar results.

What do you do when you want something? Order it right away, mull it over for a while and if you still want it later get it, or subtly hint to others?

subtle - no

there is a wish list for presents posted on the fridge for use by in-laws for birthday/holiday presents - otherwise i would get such hideous things as the evil witch from 'little mermaid' muumu in blue and green :angry:

currently there is an order sheet from a catalog with some cool napkins, etc.;a subscription form to sante; and on the list requests for cheap champagne flutes, a meat pounder and pretty recipe cards

for my birthday i always buy myself something - last year it was a subscription to a food quarterly. haven't decided this year.

since i am a librarian i don't buy a book until after i have read it(usually on interlibrary loan)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Interesting question. I just realized that I do have a pattern. I am at a time in my life that I can pretty much buy whatever I want but I don't do that. That wouldn't be much fun or much of a treat. I am not a big spender, don't play golf, not into clothes or shoes, but...

I LOVE TOYS!

My pattern is to wait until after Christmas, review my mental list and go buy something outrageous. That is how I got the $200 rice cooker. (It does have a retractable cord so that is something redeeming.) When I started cooking again a few years ago I was following the same pattern. That is how I got my knives, good pots, etc. Now that the basics have been taken care of, I tend toward the outrageous. A mandoline will probably bubble up to the top of the list after Christmas this year.

I do indulge in smaller treats along the way. Microplanes fall into that category. If I ever run into the perfect cherry pitter, it is mine!

Most of my toys are food related. But I did blow my tax refund on a really nifty remote solar powered weather station that I will install in the new house.

Books are different. They are a necessity of life like food and do NOT count. But my stingy side does wish that Amazon didn't have that "people who bought this book also bought...". :smile:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

It depends on my mood and my pocketbook :biggrin:

If I am browsing Amazon just after payday and see a book that sounds interesting I buy it with one-click, no thinking whatsoever.

If we are getting close to payday, I avoid Amazon all together............

As to bigger purchases, I mull over it for a really long time and research all the possiblities, before I actually make the purchase.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Usually, when i see something I want, i will either buy it or wait till next month (this is for books and CDs - most of what I spend extra money on). I budget it in, if I buy a $20 book, I spend $20 less at the grocery store that week or I don't buy a bottle or two of wine. I've got enough kitchen stuff (although I would love a stand up mixer and a really nice saute pan)

Clothes I tend to buy when I really need them (and when they are on sale)

I've got enough kitchen stuff

Nobody ever has enough kitchen stuff!!!

As for me, I make a mental note, then come back to the store later, without my girlfriend, where I buy what I want and sneak it into the house. Just like any good addict. And like every good addict's lover, she sees right through me. Thankfully, it amuses her.

The big stuff,well, I convince her that she wants it, then I buy it for her as a gift. She received a very nice Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas this past year. Everybody's happy then.

The big stuff,well, I convince her that she wants it, then I buy it for her as a gift. She received a very nice Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas this past year. Everybody's happy then.

My husband does that. Several years ago he bought me the waffle maker he desparately wanted.

For, me it depends on the item. Small kitchen toys I run out and buy without a thought. Big purchases I tend to mull over. Plus, I have to get my husband accustomed to the idea that I'm bringing more stuff into our already over-stuffed apartment.

Books are in a category of its own. If it's something I've read about and want urgently, I go out and buy it. If it's something that I stumble upon and am intrigued by, I buy it and sneak it into the house (of course, my husband figures it out when the credit card statements come in), and for those that I want but can wait on - I keep a list and my husband gets me a bunch of books for chanukah.

For the most part, I'm all about instant gratification.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Well, yeah, but where the hell do you park it?????

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm with pattimw -- I've got so much stuff, bought when I thought I'd use it someday; well, that day hasn't come for quite a few items.

but one thing I've learned to do is keep a list of smallwares to bring to the Broadway Panhandler Yard Sale each year -- stuff like tongs, silicon spatulas, etc.

When I was young and had no money, I just waited and figured out how to do the same thing with what I had; now that I'm old and have no money, I've learned to want less, and to watch for super-sales. :raz:

Drool.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Screw subltety. I make a wish list of exactly what I'd like, affix with a magnet to our refrigerator, and reap the rewards come Christmas or birthday time. My husband will do pretty much anything to keep the great meals coming ;-)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

• 1 month later...
currently there is an order sheet from a catalog with some cool napkins, etc.;a subscription form to sante; and on the list requests for cheap champagne flutes, a meat pounder and pretty recipe cards

well, got my meat pounder and some hideous top-heavy red and clear flutes for the birthday. the meat poounder is great and it has been put to use including, when the potatoes weren't suitably soft, being used as a potato masher - something it handled tremendously.

now for christmas.....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My rule is if I am still thinking about it a month later I buy it. This rule applies to clothing, CDs, books, etc. For BIG things if I am thinking about it 6 months later I will get it. This comes in really handy because Christmas and my birthday are exactly 6 months apart. I always know what to ask for!

Thanks to this website, I've been on a cookware binge. Most of what I've been buying (Calphalon) I have to buy NOW to get the bargain price. I've also bought some duplicates to give to my brother (who also likes to cook) for his birthday and for Christmas. This is really the first time I've ever shopped this far ahead.

I use my Wish List on Amazon as kind of a "bookmark" to remind me about cookbooks and kitchen-related items that I've seen discussed here in the forums. Someday I will either get them, one at a time, or delete them depending upon my whim (and bank account).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My rule is if I am still thinking about it a month later I buy it.  This rule applies to clothing, CDs, books, etc.  For BIG things if I am thinking about it 6 months later I will get it.

that's a very good rule, and one that i definitely don't follow. i've got all kindza shit that i don't really need/use. :sad:

I tend to buy it as soon as I think about it :biggrin: . I'll usually research the item first to see which brand etc is the right one, but I tend to buy pretty quickly. the internet is a dangerous place for me :rolleyes: . If it's close to Christmas or my birthday though, I'll ask for it as a gift. Then if I don't get it, I'll go buy it :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

usually if I want something I'll confront myself with the prospect of buying it (meaning I'll be at the restaurant supply store staring at it for 10-20 minutes) then I will force myself not to buy it. A week later if the desire is still intense I will get it....

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo