• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

The Friday night menu at Chef Joe's, aka Rafaella's By Pagano's:

Proscuitto Roulade with Foie Gras Mousse and Fig Comfit

(an Art Culinaire recipe)

[i[NV Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Cava

Seafood Minestrone

(lobster, shrimp, oysters, halibut)

2002 Bertani Due Uve (Pinot Grigio - Sauvignon Blanc blend)

Pear Sorbet

(with Poire William and egg whites [italian style])

Salmon in Phyllo with Saffron Sauce

(salmon layered with seafood mousse and morel duxelles; fish-stock based sauce with tarragon)

Asparagus and Turned Carrots

2001 Argyle Pinot Noir

Peaches in Port with Chantilly Cream

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Let's hear it for meat!

i497.jpg

The prime rib after it was salted and peppered (that's a 1/2 baking sheet).

i498.jpg

Lady T blessing the beef before it hits the Weber kettle.

i508.jpg

The prime rib on a 22 1/2" Weber kettle.

i499.jpg

Heartlanders and their neighbors working in Michelle's kitchen on the upcoming feast.

i500.jpg

The artisnal bell peppers from the farmer's market.

i501.jpg

Aurora enjoying the smoked corned beef brisket.

i502.jpg

Smoked corned beef brisket, cured lamb sausage and liverwurst (later on lamb salami was added).

i503.jpg

The prime rib after 5 hours of smoking on the kettle.

i504.jpg

The in/famous wine clip. Later on there were side by side tests with freshly opened wines.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that roast boneless?

The bones were there :angry: .

My butcher was nice enough to cut them off, and then tie them back on (of you look at the picture on the sheet pan they're on the bottom.) There is a fancy French term for this that I don't know. It makes carving much easier.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that roast boneless?

The bones were there :angry: .

Don't get your little pink thong in a twist.

They're just shorter than I'm used to seeing. I was pretty sure you'd do it bone-in; that's why I asked.

I don't know what that method is called, either. It does make for easier carving. But there is something satisfyingly lavish about a bone-in hunk of prime rib on a suitably-sized plate.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

FWIW, chined or not (isn't chined a proper term?) that rib roast was . . .

The Best Beef Ever.

(As I noted to Klink, this is a fallibilistic truth-claim. Thus, the nature of the claim inherently allows for future revision. Nonetheless, we stand by the claim since the proposition captures something true, even if that "truth" remains bounded by our current experience, imagination, & knowledge.)

FWIW, chined or not (isn't chined a proper term?) that rib roast was . . .

The Best Beef Ever.

(As I noted to Klink, this is a fallibilistic truth-claim.  Thus, the nature of the claim inherently allows for future revision.  Nonetheless, we stand by the claim since the proposition captures something true, even if that "truth" remains bounded by our current experience, imagination, & knowledge.)

To expand the bounds of our experience and knowledge, I recommend additional encounters with klink's smoked prime rib.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We want to see pictures of the INSIDE of the meat!

Almost there!

But until then, here's some more:

(by the way, if there's a picture of anyone and they don't want to be pictured, let me know and I'll alter them).

i510.jpg

The liquor table.

i518.jpg

MatthewB working on some dangerous side cars. Could you post your recipe Matthew?

i519.jpg

Mr. Nero enjoying his side car with lamb salami garnish.

i513.jpg

The carved up duck (purchased live, from a Halal live poultry shop in Chicago). It was very, very lean with very little muscle tissue -- somewhat of a dissapointment despite the breast meat being tasty but not smokey.

i514.jpg

Two lamb legs and some fresh sausages on the bullet.

i515.jpg

The tray of Jim Dixon's roasted cauliflower. Of course it was finished before dinner was ready.

i516.jpg

Final preperations.

i517.jpg

Smoked legs of lamb, smoked fresh Czech sausages and lamb sausage.

i510.jpg

The liquor table.

Well, then! Glad to see you managed without me! :raz:

Now that's what I call a well stocked table... :biggrin:

Looks like boatloads of fun. Sorry I missed it!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As promised, here are some more pics:

i520.jpg

Everyone sitted for dinner.

i521.jpg

The prime rib! Behold it's magnificent glory!

i522.jpg

Guajolote's daughter Iris longing for the prime rib (apparently she ate nothing else).

i523.jpg

Two low-down G's gettin' crazy!

i524.jpg

NeroW and Maggie opening up the seriously fine cognac.

i525.jpg

Getting ready to take tasting notes on the canned wine.

i526.jpg

Lady T about to clobber Mr. Nero for attempting to put the Wine Clip on the seriously fine cognac.

i527.jpg

Alex showing off Aurora's fan-freakin'-tastic carrot cake.

:cool:

Abject apologies for using a full Maker's Mark bottle as a weapon...but I was NOT letting Matthew III magnetize my good cognac. Had to grab the nearest weapon that would do the job!

:raz:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Here's the last of my postable pics from the gathering. MatthewB, I'm emailing the negatives you requested shortly. :smile:

i528.jpg

Lady T's delicious custard pie.

i529.jpg

Gothic Americans.

i530.jpg

This is from the brunch that Alex set up the morning after (thanks again!). Specifically, this is Lady T's special apple pancake.

i531.jpg

Another shot of the pancake. You're posting the recipe right?

Unfortunately I missed a great number of shots of other food and for that I'm truly sad. For instance Fresco's curried musslel potato and apple salad, Guajolote's spinach salad with bacon dressing, his beet salad or his bell pepper dish (there is a pictures of the peppers beforehand though), Alex's butternut squash with spinach, bacon and basil (please post the recipe!) or Nero's pastry pillows. Sorry folks! Hopefully others were just as busy taking pictures. It was truly amazing the amount of food presented there on Saturday and amazing how it all came together so smoothly without any tensions what so ever.

I just have to say that this was a wonderful weekend and I can't wait for the next party. I was really surprised with the friendlyness and especially the hospitality of everyone involved. Thank you so much Michelle and Matthew for hosting, thank you so much Alex for hosting and letting me crash at your house, thank you Guajolote's parents for also providing beds to other folks and thank you from the bottom of my heart Guajolote for the meat tour of Chicago -- meat rocks!

Unfortunately I missed a great number of shots of other food and for that I'm truly sad. For instance Fresco's curried muscle potato and apple salad,

I'd love to see a picture of this. What muscles are used? Or is that an expression? Or did you mean mussels?

I've already found a source for fresh goat for the next Pig Pic. . . . er, Southeast get together. I'm amazed by the copious amounts of meat. It makes me want to grab a tankard of mead and dig right in.

By the way, why does Nero always stick out her tongue when she is photographed????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

By the way, why does Nero always stick out her tongue when she is photographed????

Some instinct tells me to do it.

The later pictures probably all feature me giving the finger.

That Mr. Nero! :wub:

Noise is music. All else is food.