• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

So we beat on, boats against the current, without but a few piddlin' photos from the Heartland meatfest.

They were careless people, the Heartlanders — they smoked up butts and roasts and then retreated back into their kitchens or their vast smokers, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Thanks for sending my man back safe and sound, everybody--he had nothing but lovely things to say about you all.  And I got the bonus of a phone message from Maggie, Lady T, and Aurora--what a treat!  :wub: I can't wait to meet you all.

I saw those late-night pics, MatthewB--I'm shocked!  Shocked I say! :blink:

Did he bring you leftovers or did he eat them all in the car?

You have a great husband.

I believe he did bring some leftover prime rib--I'm looking forward to trying it.

But do keep in mind--I am married to the guy so I do have, ahem,

(slight ladylike blush)

constant access to his meat.

My apologies; how unlike me! I don't know what's come over me!

Batgrrrl

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

So we beat on, boats against the current, without but a few piddlin' photos from the Heartland meatfest.

They were careless people, the Heartlanders — they smoked up butts and roasts and then retreated back into their kitchens or their vast smokers, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.

I'm inclined to reserve all judgments.

However, should pictures not be forthcoming soon, perhaps we'll find that such tolerance has a limit.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'll be posting pictures tomorrow when I'm back to my office.

However, as I mentioned to a couple of folks early Saturday, the amount of pictures that I take is inversely portional to the amount I've drank. Thus, most of my pictures are from Friday & earlier Saturday. :laugh:

What, oh, it is really Batgrrrl?  Nevermind.

:biggrin:

Welcome home to the Heartland, lady. Women with guts and brains and sassy mouths do mighty well here.

*major grin*

They get alllllll the meat they want.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

There aren't any pictures yet (except for Maggie's :wub: ) because we didn't run out of alcohol :wink: . Varmint, I appoint MatthewB as the liquor coordinator for your next Pig Pickin'.

Edited by guajolote (log)

Varmint, I appoint  MatthewB as the liquor coordinator for your next Pig Pickin'.

He has to come to the pig pickin's in order to have such an important position bestowed upon him.

Plus, I've already done a pig pickin'. I've got to come up with something new next time. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

How about a celebration of the various styles of clambakes?

Can't wait to see some of the pics. I'll almost be able to smell those smokey meats....

And I truly believe Matthew could bartend any function better than most try to do for a living too! :raz:

Varmint, I appoint  MatthewB as the liquor coordinator for your next Pig Pickin'.

He has to come to the pig pickin's in order to have such an important position bestowed upon him.

Plus, I've already done a pig pickin'. I've got to come up with something new next time. :wink:

About the only way to top the Pig Pickin' would be an eGullet key party.

About the only way to top the Pig Pickin' would be an eGullet key party.

you volunteering?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Ahem. It's where everybody of one sex puts their keys in a bowl at the beginning of the party, and at the end of the party each member of the opposite sex pulls a key out. And whoever's keys they pull, they go home with.

See Ang Lee's excellent film of early 1970s sexual pathos, entitled The Ice Storm, for a depiction of such an event.

Me, I'm hoping he meant to say keg party.

Ahem. It's where everybody of one sex puts their keys in a bowl at the beginning of the party, and at the end of the party each member of the opposite sex pulls a key out. And whoever's keys they pull, they go home with.

See Ang Lee's excellent film of early 1970s sexual pathos, entitled The Ice Storm, for a depiction of such an event.

Me, I'm hoping he meant to say keg party.

We tried the keg theme at the pickin', but even there, we couldn't even float either of the 2 kegs. But then, liquor WAS being consumed rapidly. :wink:

Seriously, though, what other "big" shindigs could we do? A Door County fish boil (I'll bring the kerosene!)? A clam bake? An oyster roast? That crazy goat buried in the sand thingy that Bourdain did?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I like the clam bake. A restaurant my old roomie worked for did a different themed clam bake every Friday evening throughout the month of September -- Florida style, Pacific Northwest, Maine and I forgot the last one....

Meat photos will be coming shortly -- until then, enjoy these pics of Friday night's dinner at Chef Joe's:

i488.jpg

intro course of prosciutto with fig confit (and something else) on crostini with balsamic vinegar and truffle oil.

i489.jpg

spicey seafood soup with mussles, shrimp and some other seafood.

i490.jpg

Pear sorbet with mint. This was a palette cleanser.

i492.jpg

Main course of philo wrapped salmon and mushrooms with asparagus and carrots in a sauce I can't remember.

i493.jpg

Dessert - peaches and German ultra stabilized whipped cream (with which alcohol?)

i491.jpg

Mrs. Alex, Alex with tiara and Lady T

i494.jpg

Lady T with Tiara

i495.jpg

Alex, Mrs. Alex, Maggie and Lady T

i496.jpg

The table is rapt with Mrs. Guajolote's story.

Uh, I love you guys and everything, but I'm not going to an eGullet key party.

And to clarify: it was NOT me who brought up Ron Jeremy and the chocolate highway.

Saturday night will live in infamy. It was such a good time, thank you everyone.

Also, MatthewB, that case or so of beer you sent us away with was drained at the party we went to afterwards. Thanks. :smile:

Noise is music. All else is food.