• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Help Me with a Lunch Menu . . .

What should I have for lunch today?

(I just had a cannoli & I'm munching on a handful of Nero's apps.  Lunch will be around 2 pm EST today.)

A little bit of everything that's left over from Saturday (minus the bourbon, wine, sidecars, etc. :wink:), so you can relive the entire experience.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

As far as lunch . . .

No carrot cake nor custard pie are available. I finished them last night. :raz:

Aurora's carrot cake was the best I've ever had. (Note: Michele promised to make it for me if she receives the recipe.)

Lady T's custard pie was the best I've ever had. That crust!!!

Help Me with a Lunch Menu . . .

What should I have for lunch today?

(I just had a cannoli & I'm munching on a handful of Nero's apps.  Lunch will be around 2 pm EST today.)

A little bit of everything that's left over from Saturday (minus the bourbon, wine, sidecars, etc. :wink:), so you can relive the entire experience.

Remember The Police song--"The Bed's Too Big Without You"?

Well . . .

"The Food's Not the Same Without My Crew."

Waitaminute. Hello Kitty vibrator?  :unsure:

Hello Kitty Vibrator with wine clip attached :unsure:

:laugh:

Ms. Kitty:

fac6967c.jpg

Ms. Kitty with clip:

fac69684.jpg

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

And since pics are coming up . . .

Klink, Michele pleaded that you not post that late-night pic that you took of me.  :blush:

Let's hold that one off the public boards.

Not to worry, that's why they invented blackmail. :smile:

The first rash of pics are coming soon . . .

By the way, Heartlanders kick some serious ass. Hmm, ass -- I'm thinking we should think about smoking some (pork) ass up for New Year's.

I'm going to have a lamb sandwich with some horseradish mayo and sliced onion. :wub:

Guajolote, one of my favorite sandwiches to make with leftover smoked lamb is to carmelize some onions with some fresh hot peppers (red jalepenos are my cherished peppers) and when they're ready, briefly toss in thinly sliced lamb. Deglaze with dry and sweet vermouth, reduce and add butter. Throw the whole lot over a toasted hoagie and you're in heaven.

Lady T's custard pie was the best I've ever had.  That crust!!!

:blush:

Come on over for New Year's at G-man's. I'll be setting up a batch of seriously brandied mincemeat later this month (note to vegetarians: there will be meat in it) to use in pies for the holiday season.

I love making pie for this outfit.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Thanks for sending my man back safe and sound, everybody--he had nothing but lovely things to say about you all. And I got the bonus of a phone message from Maggie, Lady T, and Aurora--what a treat! :wub: I can't wait to meet you all.

I saw those late-night pics, MatthewB--I'm shocked! Shocked I say! :blink:

"Shameful or not, she harbored a secret wish

for pretty, impractical garments."

Barbara Dawson Smith

*Too Wicked to Love*

Thanks for sending my man back safe and sound, everybody--he had nothing but lovely things to say about you all.  And I got the bonus of a phone message from Maggie, Lady T, and Aurora--what a treat!  :wub:  I can't wait to meet you all.

I saw those late-night pics, MatthewB--I'm shocked!  Shocked I say! :blink:

Did he bring you leftovers or did he eat them all in the car?

You have a great husband.

Thanks for sending my man back safe and sound, everybody--he had nothing but lovely things to say about you all.  And I got the bonus of a phone message from Maggie, Lady T, and Aurora--what a treat!  :wub: I can't wait to meet you all.

I saw those late-night pics, MatthewB--I'm shocked!  Shocked I say! :blink:

Did he bring you leftovers or did he eat them all in the car?

You have a great husband.

And a great houseguest. I wish we had more time to converse, though -- both nights the routine was: come back home, brush teeth, see you in the morning, crash.

Here's the Beet Salad Recipe.

Thanks! I'm not a blue cheese fan, but thought the salad pre-Maytag addition rocked. Any thoughts on substituting another kind of cheese for the blue? Maybe some goat cheese?

I've done it with a soft goat cheese and harder aged ones. Both work well.

What about Ricotta Salata?

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thanks! I'm not a blue cheese fan, but thought the salad pre-Maytag addition rocked. Any thoughts on substituting another kind of cheese for the blue? Maybe some goat cheese?

Why not? Please try and report back.

Sure thing. I'll see what the beets look like at Whole Paycheck and report back.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Sure thing. I'll see what the beets look like at Whole Paycheck and report back.

I should add that the freshness of the beets is the most important thing. If you can, get beets with the greens attached. Sometimes I cook the greens with some bacon and serve the salad on top of the greens