• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Those Sauternes bottles are staying put! :angry:

You can share it with us, or we can steal it. If you share it, at least you'll get a taste :raz: .

I'm stealing it. Locks are of no importance. Then I'll be like, "dude, check out this Sauternes I brought. Want a sip?" :wink:

I'm going to try to make it, as I said, but my schedule this next semester is a real ballbreaker. :angry:

If I make it, it'll have to be with a friend (er, driver), and probably not for the whole weekend.

Hayride :biggrin:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Like Nero, I can't miss school on Friday, so if I'm to join the outing it will probably have to be for Saturday and/or Sunday only.

Also, since I have no income and continuing major expenses, if anyone can help me out in the transportation or lodging area I would be extremely grateful. But if I can make it, I will be bringing birthday cake at least, and probably some other goodies depending on what we're doing in school that week. :biggrin:

And Chef Laiskonis, I'm very excited about meeting you and chatting about pastry stuff, so I do hope you can make it. :smile:

On an aside, there are about a dozen copies of McGee's "On Food & Cooking" at remainder stores here. Hardcover for $12. Like new condition.

Anyone want me to get a copy for them? You can pick it up at this gathering.

The schedule is clear. I'm in.

As for lodging, if there's room somewhere, I'll take it and/or has a block of rooms in a nearby hotel been reserved in our honor somewhere?

Now, how are those of us in the Chicago Metroland area handling our travel arrangements for the journey across the pond? Our discussion about the train was a good one. That would be a ton of fun, and we will need someone to pick us up. If everyone is up for it, I will get the info.

On an aside, there are about a dozen copies of McGee's "On Food & Cooking" at remainder stores here.  Hardcover for $12.  Like new condition.

Anyone want me to get a copy for them?  You can pick it up at this gathering.

There's a new edition coming out soon so I'd wait.

On an aside, there are about a dozen copies of McGee's "On Food & Cooking" at remainder stores here.  Hardcover for $12.  Like new condition.

Anyone want me to get a copy for them?  You can pick it up at this gathering.

I'm OK with a copy of the second from last edition for $12. Remainders is all about clearing space for new stuff.

Please grab a copy for me.

I am the offical eGullet outfitter for the Midwest. You will be expected to dress in the required Midwestern uniform for the duration of this event. Those of you who are without the standard yellow polo shirt may obtain it from me. They are all 100% cotton, Lands End (go Wisconsin!) shirts. I have them in a variety of sizes. Please check that your collar is turned up before you arrive. Acceptable shoes are as follows: loafers, Docksiders, athletic shoe, or any other type of thing that makes you instantly recognizable as Midwestern. Those caught wearing socks will be sent home. :laugh:

What is the dress code for the restaurant?

Do Birkenstocks count?

Mine have a huge hole in the right-foot heel and the soles are starting to peel off. There is also a piece of dried-up gum from 2 summers ago stuck to the side of the left-foot strap.

Does that count?

:unsure:

What is the dress code for the restaurant?

Yellow polo shirt, either collar position. Loafers or boat shoes, no socks.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Do Birkenstocks count?

Mine have a huge hole in the right-foot heel and the soles are starting to peel off.  There is also a piece of dried-up gum from 2 summers ago stuck to the side of the left-foot strap.

Does that count?

:unsure:

Bierkenstocks better count because mine go with me no matter what.

The schedule is clear.  I'm in.

As for lodging, if there's room somewhere, I'll take it and/or has a block of rooms in a nearby hotel been reserved in our honor somewhere?

Now, how are those of us in the Chicago Metroland area handling our travel arrangements for the journey across the pond?  Our discussion about the train was a good one.  That would be a ton of fun, and we will need someone to pick us up.  If everyone is up for it, I will get the info.

Matthew and I haven't figured out how many in-home lodging places are available; I suspect we'll do that soon. In my house we have an extra double bed, couch, and love seat (and floor space, of course). We haven't reserved a block of rooms yet. When we know how many we'll need we can shop around for the best value.

Amtrak leaves Chicago at 5:20 p.m. Central Time, arriving at 10:16 p.m. Eastern Time. No problem picking everyone up. The direct return train leaves at 7:35 a.m. :wink: A better option is the Amtrak bus to Kalamazoo at 1:35 p.m. Eastern Time, arriving there at 2:50. A quick stop at the Kalamazoo Brewing Company (a.k.a. Bell's) pub, then the train departs at 4:15, arriving in Chicago at 5:52 Central Time. Don't forget the AAA and AARP discount!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

On the Chicago to Grand Rapids leg, we can take the train from Chicago to Kalamazoo at 9:40 AM, arrive in Kalamazoo at 12:55 PM (Eastern time), then take the Amtrak bus that departs at 2:40 PM and arrives in Grand Rapids at 3:50 PM. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom! We're in Grand Rapids two hours and forty minutes before the train directly from Chicago to Grand Rapids leaves Union Station. We'll arrive well in time for a nap and a shower before dinner minus the need to leave on Thursday to make it in time for the dinner on Friday. The cost of the full price round-trip fare is $64.00.

GOOD WORK, ALEX!

Fresser has voulunteered the Fressermobile for those, like NeroW and NSM, who plan to travel on Saturday 10/18. Fresser has also asked me to mention that his computer is on the blink, so for those who would like more information, please PM or email me, and I will be happy to provide his cell phone number so you may call him and reserve your spot in his car.

On the Chicago to Grand Rapids leg, we can take the train from Chicago to Kalamazoo at 9:40 AM, arrive in Kalamazoo at 12:55 PM (Eastern time), then take the Amtrak bus that departs at 2:40 PM and arrives in Grand Rapids at 3:50 PM.  Ba-da-bing, ba-da-boom!  We're in Grand Rapids two hours and forty minutes before the train directly from Chicago to Grand Rapids leaves Union Station.  We'll arrive well in time for a nap and a shower before dinner minus the need to leave on Thursday to make it in time for the dinner on Friday. The cost of the full price round-trip fare is $64.00. 

GOOD WORK, ALEX!

Great! Good work on you, too. And thanks.

P.S. I'll keep an eye out on eBay for Chi-GR tix.

Edited by Alex (log)

Like Nero, I can't miss school on Friday, so if I'm to join the outing it will probably have to be for Saturday and/or Sunday only.

Also, since I have no income and continuing major expenses, if anyone can help me out in the transportation or lodging area I would be extremely grateful.

Nightscotsman,

You can ride shotgun in my slick PT Cruiser if you like. Hopefully Nero can join us.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I am the offical eGullet outfitter for the Midwest.  You will be expected to dress in the required Midwestern uniform for the duration of this event.  Those of you who are without the standard yellow polo shirt may obtain it from me... Please check that your collar is turned up before you arrive.    :laugh:

I will bring a staple gun to tack down any up-turned collars. :hmmm:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I am the offical eGullet outfitter for the Midwest.  You will be expected to dress in the required Midwestern uniform for the duration of this event.  Those of you who are without the standard yellow polo shirt may obtain it from me... Please check that your collar is turned up before you arrive.    :laugh:

I will bring a staple gun to tack down any up-turned collars. :hmmm:

:laugh:

Thank you Fresser. A turned up collar smells of out east, or at least East Grand Rapids :wink: .

Now if just a part of the collar is turned up it means you are a slob and will fit right in.

Edited by guajolote (log)

Housekeeping time . . .

As far as Friday evening, do folks want to eat out? If so, please help establish a price range.

As far as Saturday day & Sunday day, what might you like to do? Scheduled activities or unscheduled?

As far as boarding, both Alex & I can put some people up. I'd like to be as fair about this as possible--i.e., those in most need get the first rooms. Help me with this?

Looking forward to this weekend!

If we go out on Friday I would prefer to spend less than 25-30 pp including beverages. We really need to know when eveyone is coming, though. I'll probably get into town w/ family at 5 or so.

Since some people are coming on Saturday, we could meet them in Saugatuck on Saturday noon or so? There's lots to do there, including a Dune Ride :smile: . Maybe a light picnic on the beach afterwords?

Housekeeping time . . .

As far as Friday evening, do folks want to eat out?  If so, please help establish a price range.

As far as Saturday day & Sunday day, what might you like to do?  Scheduled activities or unscheduled?

As far as boarding, both Alex & I can put some people up.  I'd like to be as fair about this as possible--i.e., those in most need get the first rooms.  Help me with this?

To expand on Matthew's post...

Joe Pagano, at his restaurant, can put together some prix fixe options at any price point. He also makes a pretty decent pizza. (I usually get a traditional Margharita.) There are other restaurant options, of course.

Earlier in this thread I noticed that guajolote mentioned the possibility of his parents' house for a shindig. Given that we'll be at Michelle's on Saturday, that means Friday (and a smaller gathering, since everyone won't yet be here). Mr. g, is that still an option? Do people prefer to do that rather than go out on Friday?

(from guajolote) Since some people are coming on Saturday, we could meet them in Saugatuck on Saturday noon or so? There's lots to do there, including a Dune Ride  . Maybe a light picnic on the beach afterwords?

That would be fun. Saugatuck has cute shops, art galleries, dune hiking or ride, etc. We'd have to see who's coming and when from points east of GR, though.

Another wonderful spot is Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park (really good web site). That can be a Sunday option as well.

Near Meijer Gardens is Robinette's, a crowded and kind of touristy-hokey orchard and gift shop, but they offer hay rides ($5 adults, $3 kids, ½ hour). No heirloom apples to speak of, though. For those driving to/from Chicago, though, check out this place.

There's the fish ladder, but that's a short stop and best combined with other downtown visits (Public Museum, Art Museum, Gerald R Ford Museum, etc.).

Housekeeping time . . .

As far as Friday evening, do folks want to eat out?  If so, please help establish a price range.

As far as Saturday day & Sunday day, what might you like to do?  Scheduled activities or unscheduled?

As far as boarding, both Alex & I can put some people up.  I'd like to be as fair about this as possible--i.e., those in most need get the first rooms.  Help me with this?

I'm staying with my friend, The Hobbit, whom I will also be bringing.

:biggrin:

The Masaharu Morimoto guest chef dinner at Tribute is now on the 19th.

Can we all crash this party instead? ;)

I don't think I've posted about whether I'm attending or not. Everything sounds fun and I want to go, but I won't know until late September. Finances are a bit tight due to a trip home to Vancouver and a retirement/birthday party for my dad.