• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Me and Flaca are in. Jerry, Iris, Iris, and Robert will also make an appearance.

I will let everyone follow me to Michelle's place. I think I can find it back. The problem going there is you are in the MF boonies and cell phones don't work :huh: .

Matthew and I had a long and enjoyable meeting today. Among other topics, we discussed some preliminary planning for the October gathering. Here's what we have so far:

Friday: As mentioned in some Aug. 12 posts, if there are no major dissenting votes, dinner will be at Rafaella's by Pagano's. We were thinking that a prix fixe tasting menu might be a fun way to go, with a wine option. Matthew and I will meet with Joe Pagano and his sous chef Thomas Griffin to discuss the menu, and with local wine guru Dave Russo about wine pairings. Joe's prices are pretty reasonable, but let us know anyway if you have a cost ceiling preference. Also, when you RSVP (or re-RSVP), could you mention if you'll be arriving Friday in time for dinner (as opposed to Friday after dinner or Saturday)?

Saturday day: Matthew is still researching the hayride and the heirloom apple farm. We also might organize a wine tasting or a food-related event. Or visit Saugatuck. Or maybe give everyone a list of local attractions and events, with directions. Or some combination of the above (semi-structured day, with options). Any other suggestions/desires?

Saturday evening: Party at Michelle's. Matthew can do the prime ribs, I can make my award-winning butternut squash soup and a pear/goat cheese dessert. Other contributions??

Sunday: No ideas. We ran out of lattes and couldn't think any more.

We're also working on lodging options.

Matthew, please feel free to add or edit.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

What, I've got to drive all the way to Grand Rapids for this thing? You can't all come to my restaurant and spend large sums of money? Actually, you better not... by the sounds of it, this crew might put my job in jeopardy!

So put me in the 'perhaps, possibly, maybe, at this time unconfirmed, if it doesn't conflict with something in my schedule that I don't know about yet,' category. Plan something cool and groovy for Sunday, as that is my best shot of attending.

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Attendee list so far . . .

MatthewB & SO

Guajolote & Flaca (plus the kids & G's parents)

Maggie & Mr. Handsome

Alex & spouse

fresco & spouse (& ?)

NeroW (possible)

herbacidal (on a whim)

Michael Laiskonis (possibly on Sunday)

tommy (wateva)

Who's RVSP'd that I'm missing?

Thank you for taking over the planning Matthew and Alex.

My only comment is we may want to go some inexpensive place on Friday since people are goping to have to pay for transportation and lodging. Also if people do take the train in it gets to the station at around 10, so we'll want to be there to meet them. What's the current bar scene downtown? I know Matthew has complained about bad drinks before.

I'll be bringing some sort of seafood dish.

What about the fish ladder?

I can wear my yellow (well, maize) U of M shirt.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I can wear my yellow (well, maize) U of M shirt.

Nice.

Matthew, will you be making a pate for us with your new charcuterie skills? A foie gras terrine would be nice too, I think I saw a bottle of Sauternes in your cellar.

Matthew, will you be making a pate for us with your new charcuterie skills? A foie gras terrine would be nice too, I think I saw a bottle of Sauternes in your cellar.

I think a terrine would be a good possibility.

Those Sauternes bottles are staying put! :angry:

Those Sauternes bottles are staying put! :angry:

You can share it with us, or we can steal it. If you share it, at least you'll get a taste :raz: .

Note to self: Designate one room for storing valuables October 17-19. Keep said room locked at all times.