• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

No fires on beaches.

If you pay attention to what The Man says.

Fire on beach! :angry:

If I don't see posted signs, I could reason that THE MAN would green light a nice gathering around a beach fire among friends.

If said MAN appears to lay down the word, Maggie will speak. You and I will sit quietly with our heads down and not reveal our drunken states. This will allow THE MAN to remain in good spirits, thereby eliminating the need to pose possible threats of sanction and/or confinement.

Does The Man have something to say about libations during hay rides?

Sounds like October may work. Am I hearing correctly?

Possible dates?

What would people like to do as far as food? (The SO & I discussed the possibility of something at her house. But I'm open to any possibility.)

Suggest away!

Are we shooting for one evening or a weekend (Sat/Sun, Fri/Sat/Sun, Fri/Sat)?

Matthew - how much can you handle? :unsure:

Once we determine that, we can get down to it. We already know who's on the music committee. Right?

Matthew - how much can you handle? :unsure:

Probably not what I can handle but what the SO can handle. :biggrin:

Let's toss around our ideas & then I'll discuss with her. There are lots of ways we can make this go down.

Maybe we'll have an engagement to celebrate :laugh: .

We could also have a shindig at my parents house, and a few people can crash at thir house too. Matthew, what's your take on the Schnitzelbank? If we do it the weekend of the 4th, we could celebrate my birthday :smile: .

Maybe we'll have an engagement to celebrate  :laugh: .

We could also have a shindig at my parents house, and a few people can crash at thir house too. Matthew, what's your take on the Schnitzelbank? If we do it the weekend of the 4th, we could celebrate my birthday :smile: .

Careful, tiger. :wink:

Two nights & two parties would be fun. Different venues would be most helpful. :smile:

I always enjoy the Schnitz. It would be fun. (And we're celebrating your birthday whenever it is that we do this!)

Grand Rapids would be like a 10 hour trip from Minneapolis, without gas/potty stops! Yikes! Those damned Great Lakes seem to get in the way.

I think I'll descend on Klink instead....(2+ hours, depending on how heavy the foot is).

Edited by snowangel (log)
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I'm in. I'll try to dream up a birthday cake worthy of the occasion--- Ice cream too. (And funny paper hats, Pin the Tail on the Donkey, and party favors.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Grand Rapids would be like a 10 hour trip from Minneapolis, without gas/potty stops!  Yikes!  Those damned Great Lakes seem to get in the way.

I think I'll descend on Klink instead....(2+ hours, depending on how heavy the foot is).

There's a ferry from Manitowac WI to Ludington Mi that might save you some time.

Depending on the actual days (I really can't miss class), and if there is room for me, I would love to join the expedition. Of course I would have to bum a ride from someone, but I'm willing to help pay for gas.

guajolote - think you can handle two birthday cakes? :biggrin:

Looks like I'd better firm up my October dates for Chicago. When are you guys going to MI?

Edit: I have to be in Iowa for the weekend of Oct. 17-19, so my visit to Chicago can be either before or after that.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

If said MAN appears to lay down the word, Maggie will speak.  You and I will sit quietly with our heads down and not reveal our drunken states.

Wait.

Does that mean Maggie won't be drinking?

:unsure:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Depending on the actual days (I really can't miss class), and if there is room for me, I would love to join the expedition. Of course I would have to bum a ride from someone, but I'm willing to help pay for gas.

There's always room in the Fressermobile. :smile:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Let's make a date. Vote for either October 3-5 or October 17-19 (don't worry Ms. Ramsey, we already have big plans for you). Whichever weekend has the most votes by Friday wins. I was thinking we'd go out to dinner Friday and do the hayride/apple picking party stuff on Saturday in case some people can't make it until Saturday.

I vote for the 4th.