• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

At the Heartland paella festivities, Aurora & I briefly discussed a gathering in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The intent would be to bring Heartland folks together that may not often travel to Chicago as well as provide a shorter trip for our Ontario friends. Of course, any eGulleter would be welcome.

Late August, September, or early October timeframes?

Let's hear your thoughts.

Yay!

Word.

Matthew, (or guajolote) tell us about what's happening in GR. Is there anything foodie of note coming up that we could tie this to? Not that any of us need a reason to get together and eat, drink and be merry.

Some lucky ducks of us might be going to Varmint's, so, although October is my Main Month, we might want to do something in September.

And yes, Ontarians, Grand Rapids isn't too long a poke.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

August is getting very busy--there's a trip to Alberta and a pig roast in my future. Don't know what the weather is like in Grand Rapids in October, but that month looks good.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

I gave Matthew a bunch of ideas and he didn't post them :angry:.

OK, I'll admit the fish ladder idea was kind of lame.

Here's some possibilities:

Picnic on Lake Michigan Dunes

Outing to Botanical Garden and Dinner

Apple picking and Hayride

Saugatuck / Winery Tour - There's a beuatiful winery in Fennville, 40 miles south of Grand Rapids. The wine kinda sucks though.

To bad we missed the Ionia Free Fair, I think Ted Nugent played this year.

GR Also has a great and cheap (I mean really cheap) Farmer's Market

I gave Matthew a bunch of ideas and he didn't post them :angry:.

GR Also has a great and cheap (I mean really cheap) Farmer's Market

I wanted *you* to post your ideas. Which you did. :biggrin:

On a pendantic note, there's nothing cheap about the GR Farmer's Market. Very inexpensive, yes. But not cheap. :raz:

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Saugatuck / Winery Tour - There's a beuatiful winery in Fennville, 40 miles south of Grand Rapids.

Saugatuck's great.

FWIW, if we do a winery thing, I'd vote for Tabor Hill.

Paul Landeck & his family run the vineyard & the restaurant. Paul is the leader of the Slow Food Michiana Convivium & we could probably get him to do something special for us. (And get more people signed up as Slow Food USA members!)

But that might be a different event as the destination is much closer to Chicago. (As far as time, if 94 isn't backed up.)

:biggrin:

October is a magnificent month in Michigan, with the trees in color and all. Remembering that Varmint's pig pickin' is October 11th, it'd be neighborly to schedule for any weekend but that one, though...

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

If none of the above activities are appealing, we could do like many Grand Rapidians . . .

Go to church Sunday AM & then to Russ' afterward.

Which reminds me of a joke:

"What's a Dutch girl's favorite w(h)ine?"

"Daddy, I wanna go to Russ'."

Edit: Wait, all the Russ' are closed on Sunday. :laugh:

Edited by MatthewB (log)

What's the current news on this? I've sort of run it by the SO....his only question was how far north into the "mitten" are we talking about?!

There's hope! After all I got his enthusiastic approval on Varmint's in October....

edit: sloppy proof reading -- I've been plauged with it all day! :blink:

Edited by beans (log)

I'm with Lady T on a time in October.

Perhaps we can venture to a cider mill/orchard?

Amway -- no. Hay ride, yes!

Matthew - are bonfires permitted on the beaches without bureaucratic wrangling?

Where would we stay?

Dibbs on Matthew's guest room! :biggrin: