• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Storage in NY

Creeper

I am in the process of moving to Manhattan and would appreciate any suggestions for offsite wine storage. I will be living on the UWS, so something nearby would be ideal. But I'd be open to anyplace with great facilities and decent pricing and service. Thanks.

-Steven

1. Welcome to NYC. 2. You will need to find a temperature-controlled facility, possibly self-storage. If you have a lot of wine, say upwards of 50-100 cases or more, give the auction houses a call and see what they recommend. They have a staff on hand that evaluates collections and they are sure to know several facilities that their clients have used. They will not store the wine for you themselves, mind you. But they could be very helpful. You might also call some of the larger, prestigious wine stores (Zachy's, et al) and ask for a recommendation.

Good luck!

Zachys charges $1.95/case/month with a minimum charge of $19.50 a month. They require 48 hour notice to retrieve wines and though the site is in White Plains, (for a fee) Z's will pick up and deliver in Manhattan.

While their website seems to indicate that their refridgerated 15,000 square foot New York Fine Wine storage facility may be full :blink: I'd ask: CustomerService@zachys.com or (914) 723-5798.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Thanks for the responses. Zachy's doesn't sound too bad, especially if they have space in their Manhattan facility. I've heard good things about Chelsea Wine Vault as well. And that erobertparker link is definitely worth looking into. Of course, maybe I should just look at moving into a small Manhattan apartment as a way to cut down on my wine expenses. :shock:

You might want to check out Morgan Manhattan in Long Island CIty. They charge by the case to store and will pick up in Manhattan as well as deliver from storage to you. The phone # is 718-786-3304.

My brother who has an extensive cellar stores his wine there. He's pleased with them.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs