• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fantasy sandwich

SobaAddict70

I read somewhere that some versions of Cuban sandwiches have strawberry jam. Like a Monte Cristo, I guess.

One of my comfort foods is a sandwich my father regularly made. Whole grain bread, lightly toasted. Fried egg, yolk poked and released. Ketchup, generous amount. Sharp cheddar, mostly melted. It's the only time I have ketchup with eggs. Something about that exact combo is magical. It even works cold; I'd often get them in my lunchbox. Friends would squeal and grimace but when I got them to try a bite, that would be what they brought the next day.

When I think of favorite sandwich cravings a few come to mind, bear w/ me please.

Grouper Sandwich,

Pan seared grouper on lightly toasted simply kaiser roll w/ sliced red onion, tomato and bibb lettuce, w/ a smear of remoulade w/ a few capers added.

They slice there home roasted turkey paper thin, on a poppi seed hard roll w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, light spread of mayo and a chopped up proscuitto and parm stuffed hot pepper for a little extra flavor. Favorite is from Rossi's deli. I think what makes this sandwich the best is the temp of the turkey. Since it's freshly roasted they keep it in a mid temperature warmer to maintain the juiciness.

Fried Soft Shell Crab Poboy on flaky French baget fully dressed w/ a few shakes of hot sauce. They best is from Parasols in New Orleans. What could be better?

Italian Beef Sandwich. Fond memories, chopped or shredded braised beaf w/ grilled onion and provolone on a Italian hoagie roll w/ extra gravy or au jus. Used to get it from a deli called Assenza's that burnt down a few years ago. Often imitated, never duplicated.

Chicken Parm from Ronzoni's, my buddies pizza joint.

Da best!

Vietnamese sandwich flaky light French bread

Slicked smoked texas brisket on thick white bread w/ some spicy sauce

And of course a basic BLT on toasted sourdough always does the trick.

I could be totally satisfied w/ a sandwich for every meal!

I'll toss in our household favorites:

Lump crabcake sandwich, with a little tabasco.

Thinly sliced country ham from Virginia, slice of onion, hot mustard, on a hard roll.

And my wife's favorite--peanut butter, grape jelly, but here's the kicker......it has to be on toasted RYE bread, the stronger the better. Personally, I've never gotten used to it, but she converts the occasional visitor.

Mmmmm.....now I want lunch.

1. a "sandwich mixte" from cheap Paris cafe -- buttered baguette w/ ham & gruyere

2. variation of #1 -- canadian bacon & jarlsberg on baguette with thin smear of whole grain mustard

3. grilled cheese with sharp cheddar on oatnut bread (optional bacon/dijon mustard)

4. roast beef with horseradish sauce, from Roy Roger's or Panera (I have no shame)

5. The accidental sandwich invented by my father and me at the end of a meal I made with the leftover scraps on our plates. It was even better than the meal:

Toasted pita bread halves spread inside with hummus, with thinly sliced grilled steak, cucumbers & fennel marinated in a vinegary chile/pomegranate dressing and tabouli. Would be a great hors d'oeuvre in triangles with 1 piece of each inside.

6. The house special sandwich at Buona Pizza in Westfield: ham, cappicola, salami, provolone, oil-and-vinegar, spices on sub roll. It's definitely all about the bread (and the technique) in this case. They put the dressing in the middle instead of on the bread, so you don't get that soggy pink bread phenomenon. Instead, the dressing gently oozes out and coats the outside of the roll with a layer of olive oil. The roll itself is nice and firm and crusty, so it holds up perfectly. I always order a whole so I can keep half for the next day, when it's even better.

7. (Should be #1 or in its own category altogether) Italian sausage from the Jersey shore, Coney Island, or any street/county fair -- sweet sausage, onions & peppers, NO sauce or potatoes.

I hate mayo, regular yellow or brown mustard, shredded lettuce, onions, and tomatoes on my sandwiches, so it's much easier ordering sandwiches in a foreign country (like California) than in my native NJ. I like very spicy mustards, anything w/ horseradish, any green other than iceberg, any kind of marinated vegetable, sauteed/caramelized onions...

I am known in my circles for being "anti-wrap" -- I generally like a high proportion of bread to filling, except for something like #5. I make my sandwiches like the French, with one measly layer of cheese and one or two of meat. I could make sandwiches for a week easy with some of the swelling, overstuffed deli creations we get here. When I order grilled cheese in a diner, I specify "1 slice of cheese" -- they think I'm nuts. Besides, the "wrap thing" in the corporate lunch world is just so irritating.

That medianoche sounds delectable.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Here are some of my favourites (Bit of a UK slant, rather than NY Deli)

1 - Bacon and HP sauce. Cheap plastic presliced bread. Perfect (I'll accept a Fried egg as well)

2- Chip Butty. 'Nuff said.

3- Doorstep sized Cheddar and pickle, on Granary.

4 - Roast Veggies and Goats Cheese.

5 - Stilton and Apple, on Granary.

6 - Cold Sausage, Caramelized Onions and English Mustard, Thick white bread.

7 - Crab, on thin brown bread. Maybe a bit of watercress.

8 - Cold potato curry, wrapped in a Chapati, with a dab of spciy pickle.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Crunchy Peanut Butter with Strawberry Jam on inch-thick, farmhouse white w Ice cold milk

Baked Ham and Swiss on sourdough with lettuce, mayo, and brown mustard.

Grilled Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese with tunafish & tomato

"Day after Thanksgiving' Turkey with lettuce, tomato, mayo, s&p on a hard roll

Italian Assorted w Provolone, Lettuce & Tomato, Hot & Sweet peppers, dressing & mayo on crusty, brick oven bread.

Chicken Salad & banana, with bibb lettuce on a croissant

Applewood smoked bacon BLT with lobster meat

Peanut Butter & banana on pumpernickel

Grilled Chicken on Foccacia with tomato, artichoke, olive tapenade, carmelized onions

Italian Sausage with peppers & onions

Edited by GordonCooks (log)

ok

Breakfast: smoked whitefish, scallion cream cheese, jarlsberg & boston lettuce on a toasted buttered bialy

Retro:chinese roast pork on garlic bread w. duck sauce & chinese mustard ( an old Brooklyn Diner sandwich..anyone rememeber?)

Summer: toasted country bread w. homemade mayo & slice of heirloom tomato w. salt & pepper

Special occasion: leftover thanksgiving turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, mayo & stuffing on what ever bread is around

Hoagie/sub/hero :mortadella, fresh made mozzarella, really fruity olive oil, & fresh basil on seeded Italian bread

Meaty: rare roast beef, horseradish, mayo & sharp cheddar on grainy wheat

Dainty: sliced radishes on butter thinly sliced white bread w. salt & pepper & chive blossoms

e

Homey: Cold meatloaf on white bread w. ketchup

Hangover: 2 eggs scrambled bacon on kaiser roll

Marks & Spencer: tie btw aromatic duck & cheddar & celery

Fancy: Grilled lamb w. thin spread of homemade hummus w. preserved lemons, sliced cucumbers, fresh mint on tandoori bread

Fast food: Subway turkey w. green peppers, onions, pickles, lettuce tomato oli & vinegar sweet peppers & mayo on whole grain

Other fancy: Pate de campagne w. mango chutney & tiny bit dijon mustard on whole grain

Default: Turkey lettuce tomato & muenster cheese on kaiser roll w. mayo salt & pepper

Grandma sandwich: Chicken cutlet on ukranian bread half butter half mayo w. tomaoe & lettuce

i'm starving right now!!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Pan con bistec - mostly in cuban restaurants, toasted stick bread spread with garlicky lemon butter, then a thin thin steak, lettuce, tomato, onions, and pressed til hot and flat - then open up and add loads of tabasco and abit of lemon... Best one I have had is at Centro Latino on Bergenline Ave, for those in NJ, go try it...

Other than that, pb and red currant jelly on white toast

tuna with mayo and dijon, cukes NOT celery

ham and swiss on a plain toasted bagel

and the most embarassing one

bologna and cheese slices on white, mayo on one side, mustard on the other, I know, it's horrible, but it does have to be tried to be appreciated, that bit when you get to the last two bites and it's sliding, you don't know which side to bite!

And I agree with the whole weird wrap thing, what's up with that? Food wrapped inside a COLD flour tortilla, why??

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

bologna and cheese slices on white, mayo on one side, mustard on the other, I know, it's horrible, but it does have to be tried to be appreciated, that bit when you get to the last two bites and it's sliding, you don't know which side to bite!

That still ranks higher than baked beans on white bread.

When I was living in Astoria, there were these falafel/shish kabob sandwich carts on the corner of 34th Avenue and Steinway Street. One guy, who I can't remember his name much less if he's still there anymore, would make me a shish kabob sandwich upon request.

*sigh*

These were incredibly good.

He'd take an Italian hero and rip a bit of the interior out. He'd grill a lamb shish kabob until it was done, then take the chunks off the skewer and place them inside the hero. Then he'd proceed to stuff the sandwich with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sauteed onions and peppers, fried eggplant, a couple of french fries (for texture and flavor), maybe a couple of falafel balls, salt, pepper, zataar, hot sauce and white sauce. He'd wrap it up -- this along with a grape soda, for less than $5. Wow, I still miss that.

Soba

I find my mouth watering as I read these sandwiches.

Others that come to mind:

Left-over braised brisket on challah

Peanut butter on rye toast (with the peanut butter being all melty) with chilled iceberg lettuce. My dad would make this when I was a kid and it was so good. I loved the warm, gooey peanut butter with the cold, crisp lettuce as a counterpoint. My husband makes fun of me when I make this sandwich. He doesn't get the appeal of PB and lettuce.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Peanut butter on rye toast (with the peanut butter being all melty) with chilled iceberg lettuce.  My dad would make this when I was a kid and it was so good.  I loved the warm, gooey peanut butter with the cold, crisp lettuce as a counterpoint.

oh my god that sounds incredible!!!

but seriously, you're usually stoned when you make this sandwich, yes?

Great.

I used to love peanut butter and cheese with radish sprouts on black bread.

I'm going to try the peanut butter and lettuce on rye toast.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

He'd take an Italian hero and rip a bit of the interior out.  He'd grill a lamb shish kabob until it was done, then take the chunks off the skewer and place them inside the hero.  Then he'd proceed to stuff the sandwich with lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sauteed onions and peppers, fried eggplant, a couple of french fries (for texture and flavor), maybe a couple of falafel balls, salt, pepper, zataar, hot sauce and white sauce.  He'd wrap it up -- this along with a grape soda, for less than $5.  Wow, I still miss that.

Soba

Soba, that sounds incredible. I want one.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Lobster roll made simply with pieces of lobster, mayo or remoulade on one of those hotdog buns that looks like a folded slice of white bread.

Oyster Po' Boy.

A ladleful of Cioppino on a Kaiser roll.

Shrimps, bacon, lettuce and tomato.

Smoked salmon, onion, tomato and cornichons on a flat bagel with just a touch of cream cheese.

Ratatouille on a Portuguese roll.

Pita bread stuffed with Greek salad.

Grilled zucchini and eggplant with skordalia on any kind of bread.

Liverwurst, Muenster cheese and onion on rye toast w/ mustard.

Fresh tomato, basil and mayo on white.

Stop me! I could go on forever.

Peanut butter on rye toast (with the peanut butter being all melty) with chilled iceberg lettuce.  My dad would make this when I was a kid and it was so good.  I loved the warm, gooey peanut butter with the cold, crisp lettuce as a counterpoint.

oh my god that sounds incredible!!!

but seriously, you're usually stoned when you make this sandwich, yes?

Contrary to popular belief, I have never gotten stoned. . . . intentionally :biggrin:.

Stinckin' ass drunk is another story.

Considering how incompetant my father is in the kitchen (he can boil water, but that's about all) he'll be thrilled to know that he's made a positive contribution to the food world.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Fried Oyster BLT on soft roll with pesto mayo

A "Katie Special" from Koch's deli - Spiced Beef, Chicken Salad, Jarlsberg cheese and cole slaw on an onion roll with just a hint of Dijon mustard.

I had a smoked salmon, asparagus and brie panini for lunch today! Yum!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving take two slices of white bread, add leftover turkey and a very thin slice of dressing or stuffing (whatever you want to call it). Top w/ a heaping tablespoon of giblet gravy, some Duke's mayonnaise & the last of the tomatoes fr/ the garden. Throw some lettuce & maybe Swiss cheese onto the thing & then eat w/ abandon as the tomato juice & gravy drips down your chin.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

_yankee2.JPG

My favorite italian sub -- the Yankee Stadium, served at Mike's Deli at the Arthur Avenue Retail Market in the Bronx.

His "Albanian" which is made from dried aged Filet Mignon and mozzarella, is a very close second.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Are there any other types of po'boys, or are oyster po'boys the most common version?

Soba

Fried shrimp, catfish, other fish, crawfish tails... all of those are favorites here in Houston and New Orleans.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A good chicken salad and sprouts on 9-grain bread

Stone ground wheat , sauteed green pepper slices, red onion slices. Sprouts. Pepper jack cheese, avacado. Mayo.

Toasted regular white bread, bologna, american cheese, dressing of a salsa/mayo mix. Was my fav. craving fix during a pregnancy :unsure:

Edited by bloomingonion (log)