• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fantasy sandwich

SobaAddict70

1. grilled meunster with tomato and bacon on sourdough

2. tuna melt (swiss or cheddar) on a sesame bagel

3. peanut butter and honey on wheat bread (the honey has to have soaked into the bread and formed a bit of a crust), sometimes with sliced apple, sometimes not.

4. grilled brie & raspberry jam

:wub:

Softshell Crab poboy -

Deep Fried Softshell Crab served on Zip po boy loaf with spicy mustard and tartar sauce.........eaten while listening to Los Lobos at the New Orleans Fairgrounds

Hey, I 've had my fantasy sandwich. :shock: I guess my fantasy invloves a repeat. :biggrin:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

yum.jpg

ETA - I guess I should have added that's the remains of a run of the mill, but oh so yummy, tuna salad sandwich that I had to go make after reading this thread.

Edited by megaira (log)

". . . if waters are still, then they can't run at all, deep or shallow."

I can't believe the ever unholy FLUFFERNUTTER has not yet reared its gooey face on this list. When I need to have one, there is nothing else in the world that can replace it.

The Big D Veggie Delight : mozzarella, artichokes, roasted peppers, tomato, thinly sliced roasted eggplant and pesto grilled on a baugette. (I don't remember the name of the restaurant where I had this, but I think the only change I would make to it would be the occasional addition of goat cheese.)

Grilled portabella and swiss on a roll, a bit of worchestershire.

Grilled cheese

Goat cheese, sun dried tomato, cucumber and lettuce drizzled with balsamic on multigrain bread

Scrambled egg, cheese and salsa on a bagel or english muffin

Tuna melt with swiss

Oyster and soft shelled crab po'boy

Lobster or crab roll

When I still ate meat, pastrami reuben (aka the Rachel in some circles) with mustard, not russian dressing. It was so number one I feel the need to include it here.

Oh yeah, and will everyone in Chicago please stop looking at me funny when I call it a grinder? :)

--adoxograph

brisket with hellman’s on challah

chopped liver with lots o’ hellman’s, thick juicy tomato on challah or martin’s potato bread

sun-dried tomato bagel with scallion & chive cream cheese, tomato & lox or sable

plain gently toasted bagel with both sides mayo, one side kalamata tapenade, smoke turkey, lots of sprouts (clover that is).

and there is no way I would eat anything with miracle whip, that’s just gross, sorry if I offend.

sure it isn't healthy, but why deny oneslf?

Whenever they have breakfast burritos here at work -- which is practically every day -- I'm on the lookout for sausage/X/scrambled egg wraps, where X is either roasted peppers, roasted tomatoes or mushrooms. I rarely eat sausage, but today's wrap made me gain a newfound appreciation for all things consisting of porky goodness.

Kielbasa/roasted peppers/scrambled eggs wrap.

:wub:

Soba

Cubano. Thinly sliced roast pork, ham, swiss, pickle, mustard on French bread, heavily buttered, heavily weighted, and grilled. Extra pickles on the side.

Beer.  :smile:

OH YEAH!! WITH ABOUT FORTY DEVIL CRABS AND MORE BEER! :biggrin:

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Soba, thanks for starting this thread! Kebab sandwich! Chip butty! Many brilliant combos. Anyway, a few of my favorites:

-Pork sandwich from Cozy Corner in Memphis - spicy and smoky sliced pork (not chopped-IMHO, ungood), with coleslaw. Sweet tea.

-NC style pork sandwich, lots of smoky bark, sliced (not chopped), with coleslaw, on simple bun. Sweet tea.

-pastrami reuben, soft rye (not griddled), strong swiss, mustard, sauerkraut, half-sour pickles. Maybe just a little Russian dressing every few bites for variety. Take home and drink a Marzen with it.

-cemita - Oaxacan sandwich on a chewy/crispy roll - beef milanesa, string cheese, herbs and chipotle sauce. Jamaica.

-prosciutto, bufalo mozzarella, paperthin onions, coarse cracked pepper on chewy/crunchy filone roll. Olives on the side. Orangina.

-ham and sharp cheddar melt on sourdough, pressed well enough to tear up the roof of your mouth.

-fried salami and egg on lightly toasted white bread. Coke.

-teriyaki beef or fatty shoyu pork, lettuce, lotsa mayo, on a hamburger bun. Fruit punch.

-grilled cheese, ginger marmalade, lotsa butter - made in one of these gizmos, over a campfire. Gooood livin'.

-Really Nice's Ultimate BLT with the bordeaux, please...

fantasy sando: french dip made from homemade prime rib leftovers, horseradish, and salty, rich au jus. Frites. Nice glass of zin. (a decent facsimile is served at Houston's).

~Tad

here's the weird family recipe, but i lived on these things at the beach when i was a kid...

crunchy peanut butter

lettuce

thin sliced vidalia onion

duke's mayo

combine above in no particular order on merita white bread

if you're inclined to eat peanut butter with a spoon out of the jar, try this sammich with a big glass of milk! :biggrin:

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

So many sandwiches, so little time....

I gotta get me to Arthur Ave apparently. Italian deli is one of my favorite things in the world.

1) 3 slices freshly baked rye cut paper thing on a slicer (Buttered)

2) Homemade cole slaw and swiss one one piece

3) Turkey and swiss on second piece of rye, top with a little cole slaw also

4) Rub homemade russian dressing into the cole slaw on top of the cheese and the turkey.

5) Salt and pepper to taste.

6) Construct the 3 tier Sloppy Joe sandwich from heaven, cut into thirds.

The Millburn Deli, in Millburn NJ makes the best one of these ever.

Msk

A lot of my favorites are mentioned here already and here are a few more I like to make:

Toasted wheat with bacon and peanut butter.

Chived egg salad(put through a food mill so there aren't any big hunks) with marinated white anchovies on white bread.

Deep fried chipotle crabcakes on a soft grinder roll with chipotle mayo, bacon, mashed avocado, swiss cheese, green leaf lettuce and tomato.

Steak la pizzaiole...grilled thin sirloin with provolone and tomato sauce on a good crunchy Italian bread.

Warm leftover meatloaf with melted swiss on toasted wheat with lettuce, tomatoes, dill pickles and Miracle Whip(has to be Miracle whip for this one)

Rosemary Ham with Gruyere on grilled country baguette that has been rubbed with garlic, brushed with white wine and butter( a small modification of a Girardet recipe).

Great.

I used to love peanut butter and cheese with radish sprouts on black bread.

I'm going to try the peanut butter and lettuce on rye toast.

peanut butter on toasted bagel w. sharp chedder & cold vlasic pickles sliced thin.

LOVE peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Everyone thinks I'm bonkers but I don't care.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

• 1 year later...

Time to bump this one up for our newer members.

If you ever thought of building your fantasy sandwich, what would it be?

For some reason, lately I've been having a craving of shredded pork with plum sauce....in a pita. Yes, not quite a fantasy sandwich but it's where Chinese takeout dare not go. :wink:

Soba

Existing sandwhiches I adore:

Classic Reuben plus mayo and extra carraway seed

Liverwurst, soy nut butter, harsh onion, spicey mustard, swiss, and spicey mustard on rye

Da Bomb (local deli specialty): buffalo chicken strips, french fries, mozzerella sticks, hot sauce, blue cheese dressing, and marinara on a hoagie roll (haven't had one in forever though, I miss these)

The Bear Burger (another local deli sandwhich): Ground beef, chopped pepperoni, chopped sausage, jalepenos, cheddar and american cheese, fried onions, mayo, mustard, and this super duper hot sauce on a sub-roll

Fantasy Sandwich:

Lobster, bacon, gruyere, broccoli rabe, crushed red pepper, melted butter, mayo, fried onions, roasted garlic, and a little dill on a sub roll.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

stick with me on this one.

lightly toast some sage in butter. remove sage. cook perfect chopped tomatoes in said butter drain a bit, remove from pan. cook some bacon till crisp. have some day before roasted chicken on hand (I prefer dark meat. also have some roast garlic. swiss. havarti. ripe, soft, avocado. cuban or similarly soft bread.

slice bread, toast a little inside down in more sage butter. fill with beforementioned ingredents, including toasted sage, cheese closest to the bread add a smidge of cayenne and salt. wrap in tinfoil, toast under some sort of weight.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.