• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fantasy sandwich

SobaAddict70

I think the name says it all. This is the sister thread to the "build a better burger" thread.

What's your ultimate sandwich, or sandwiches?

Bread? Filling(s)? Spread? Method of creation? Service? Garnish? Accompaniament? Drink to go along with it?

Style (wet or dry)?

The gate's wide open, so....

Soba

Here's my all-time favorite...

Take one crusty Italian roll. Split it and slather both sides with good garlicky pesto. Fill with a generous amount of proscuitto and freshly-made mozzarella (buffalo if you can get it, of course). Find someplace where you won't be disturbed, and eat with abandon.

Personally, with just a handful of exceptions (such as banh mi), I can't abide cold sandwiches. So give me something like hot pastrami or croque monsieur.

Cubano. Thinly sliced roast pork, ham, swiss, pickle, mustard on French bread, heavily buttered, heavily weighted, and grilled. Extra pickles on the side.

Beer. :smile:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My standard one-liner, when people ask me for my "professional restaurant reviewer's opinion" of a dish at a fancy restaurant, is, "This would make a nice sandwich."

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What are the other numbers in the NJ deli scheme?

#3 is a #2 without hot ham. #7 is turkey.

jersey mike's is the benchmark to me. they started in Point Pleasant Beach in 1956. it was owner operated well into the 80's. he then (i think it was the same guy) opened another 1 or 2 in the surrounding area. he then franchised the place. i remember driving around whatever hiway it is that circles cincinnati and seeing one, much to my surprise. anyone in cincinnati should give it a shot.

Edited by tommy (log)

This (hot) time of year, dinner is frequently Ellen's version of a sloppy joe. Or is it Rachel? Sorry. Both blue/yellow/cheery. Pastrami, swiss, russian dressing, cole slaw. Mmmm. Hotwise, I like the scrambled egg with banana peppers and provolone hoagies.

Pastrami, swiss, russian dressing, cole slaw.  Mmmm.

I like this with turkey instead of pastrami.

Classic reuben - so hard to find done well. I hate soggy reubens! :angry:

Hot pastrami on a hard roll with deli mustard.

Meatball sub, oozing provolone, extra sauce. This is one I wouldn't dare eat in the car.

Oyster po'boy, dressed.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

It's a toss-up between corned beef on rye with mustard or whitefish salad on an onion bagel. Sable on an onion roll with lettuce is pretty good too.

I like my smelly fishes. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Don't know how popular these are in other parts, but there are a couple of places in Toronto that are quite famous for their breaded, pan fried veal sandwiches. They're pretty terrific.

Another sort of regional specialty--churrasco chicken sandwiches (barbecued with I think piri piri hot sauce)--in Portuguese joints around town.

Edited by fresco (log)
Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

It's a toss-up between corned beef on rye with mustard or whitefish salad on an onion bagel.  Sable on an onion roll with lettuce is pretty good too.

Oooh, that's right. Smoked whitefish salad, toasted bagel, capers, red onion, tomato, sometimes cucumber. Oh I'm hungry.

Pastrami, swiss, russian dressing, cole slaw.  Mmmm.

I like this with turkey instead of pastrami.

Classic reuben - so hard to find done well. I hate soggy reubens! :angry:

Oyster po'boy, dressed.

been lucky enough to avoid the soggy problem.

not sure about swiss, as far as cheese, i think i'm ambivalent.

don't like 'em open faced, though, and often they don't have enough russian.

they have turkey reubens down in DC? hafta try that sometime.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Love sarnies.

Sardines on toast with butter, mustard, cress.

Grilled cheese with ham, mushrooms, onion, jalapeno.

Kimchi and roast pork.

Smoked chicken salad with scallions and tahini on fresh soft sourdough with crispy crust.

Egg salad with Dijon and cheap lumpfish roe on same bread.

Tuna salad made from ahi steaks, same bread.

Tomato and hot double smoked lardons with much pepper and cold butter in a baguette.

Hot leberkasse in a kaiser with mustard and romaine and gherkins on the side.

Salumi surprise (whatever is around) with provolone crammed into a crusty roll, pressed, wrapped in foil, heated in oven.

Sliced scallop and chopped shrimp salad with daikon greens piled open face onto black bread.

...Uh... I'd better stop.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Welcome to eGullet KAPDADDY.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My all time favorite is the Mufaletta (sp? one f or two?) from Central Grocery in New Orleans, at least the ones they made 35 years ago. It was a perfect balance of meat, cheese, olive salad and the wonderful bread. It was all about the bread. The meat and cheese was in condiment proportions to the bread with a generous serving of olive salad for kick. I haven't been back there in many years. I only hope they haven't succumbed to the trend to pile on lots of meat and cheese. That is like our American tendency to over-sauce pasta. It misses the whole point.

Ripe avocado, lentil sprouts, maybe some real bacon crumbles, good mayo, Jane's Crazy Salt, on slices of good wheat berry bread.

Very thinly sliced sweet onion, lots of Hellman's mayo, s&p, a spritz of lime juice, on a good soft white bread. (I will bake homemade bread for this.) Drink a beer or two and you are in nap time. Somebody told me that there is something in onions that combined with beer is a sedative. :huh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Corned beef and cheese from Primanti's in Pittsburgh. Grilled corned beef, cheese, tomato, vinagrette coleslaw and french fries sandwiched between 2 slices of thick italian bread. A 'Burgh tradition that tastes even better after and with a few cold brews.

Ooooo KAPDADDY... You are talkin' my language.

Welcome to eGullet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

way early childhood fave: peanut butter and clover honey on good old white bread

later childhood fave: crushed meatball sandwich with melted provolone, enough marinara, crunchy white roll.

avoided sandwiches for several years, sick of the fact I lived in a deli...

now: cuban "medianoche": ham, lechon asado (roasted pork), swiss cheese, pickles, "sweet" roll; toasted HOT fresh off a sandwich press

hot pastrami on rye, dry (yep, no mustard). my bro likes pastrami with mayo, but I bet he'd get his ass kicked in NY for that one. :raz:

hot pastrami on rye, dry (yep, no mustard).  my bro likes pastrami with mayo, but I bet he'd get his ass kicked in NY for that one.  :raz:

He'd get his ass kicked in California for that...