• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you eat on your wedding night?

tommy

So we spent tons of time planning the menu, mostly paying attention to the hors d'oeuvres (175 hungry Jews need lots of hors d'oeuvres!).  But at the wedding neither my husband nor I ever even saw the pigs in a blanket.  I know that they were there because I saw my father collecting them for my 5 year old niece (and himself)!

A question for the ages....What is it about jews and pigs in blankets? :unsure:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

My husband is Serbian Orthodox and is first generation Serbian-American, so we had the whole orthodox wedding including the Serbian band. Did I mention I was raised Southern Baptist? :biggrin:

The church has its own hall and the women all cook. We had sarma (cabbage rolls made with pickled cabbage), pork chops, roast beef, some kind of pasta - probably rigatoni, potatoes, green beans, salad, the best fresh baked bread, probably another veggie I can't remember, and delicious plates of sweets all served family style. All that, plus beer and wash for the bar, linens and silver for only $10 a plate. In 1996.

For the rehearsal dinner, there was roast pig, potato salad, lots of feta, roasted peppers and I can't remember what else. My MIL kept complaining because whenever she left the kitchen, I covered up the pig's head.

A question for the ages....What is it about jews and pigs in blankets?  :unsure:

I just attended the very fancy (and large) wedding of a cousin at the Rainbow Room and sure enough they had pigs in blankets. In case you're wondering, they're pigs in name only - Hebrew National makes a damn fine pig in a blanket. The shrimp, on the other hand, wouldn't have passed muster with Rabbi Tibor H. Stern.

In case you're wondering, they're pigs in name only - Hebrew National makes a damn fine pig in a blanket.

What is it, then?

Michael aka "Pan"

Yeah, mini beef hotdogs (although our wedding was far from kosher).

My father-in-law grew up in an Orthodox home (but my husband was raised far from Orthodox), and when it came time to choose a location, my father-in-law requested that we have the wedding in a temple.

My parents were like "yeah right, then we can't have shrimp". And since my in-laws didn't offer to contribute a penny to the wedding, you can see how seriously we took his request!

Buffalo wings. We got married on my lunch hour, and there was a hurricane coming. So I picked up wings on the way home (the bartender gave me a Fosters on the house while I was waiting) and anybody who made it through the storm got to join the party.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

It's been nearly 20 years and here's all that I can remember. When we were working with the caterer and discussing salads for the first course, my mother kept saying, "don't you have something more unusual than that?" Finally the caterer mentioned something with pomegranate seeds in it. My mom loved it. Quite frankly, I'm always happy with a plain salad with some vinaigrette or caesar dressing.

We also had carrot cake.

I do remember a wonderful dinner on our honeymoon that ended with the most marvelous port.

PS: There were pigs in blankets at my neice's Bat Mitzvah earlier this month.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

We had a huge wedding. Mrs. Varmint is from Raleigh, and her family is very active socially -- remember, this is the South. Thus, over 500 at the wedding itself. Nevertheless, we did things extremely non-traditional. No tuxes, Mrs. V. didn't walk down the aisle (popped from behind the altar), people wore jeans. It was scandalous here, but it was a blast.

We managed to eat some chicken satay at the reception. We had 5 food areas, each a different cuisine. After we danced our asses off, we went to a local hotel and ate some fruit that was in our suite. We were really too tired to eat much of that, and the Dom that was waiting for us in the room also was barely touched. The pillows were wonderful!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites