• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you eat on your wedding night?

tommy

Burgers and fries ordered via room service in the Short Hills, NJ Hilton.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wedding number 1: brought our kids to the Brooklyn Heights diner, had BLT's after being married by a judge on Court Street. David went back to work at the River Cafe. Ah, romance.

Wedding number two: married at a B and B in Lambertville, 18 guests including our own three kids , had a great catered lunch with fabulous wines.. Friends drove us to Philla airport Hilton or Hyatt, and we ordered from room service later in the evening..in thinking about it, I might have ordered a BLT... :shock: Is there a correlation between cured pork and matrimony? Lucky for me, marriage number two has already surpassed marriage number one..so I don't think its a longevity issue! :laugh:

Fun topic.

And he's still married, folks.

We were starving. The rediculous thing is people got utterly STUFFED at our wedding, we agonized over what food would be served at it. We served all our favorite things during the cocktail party and the dinner, and really didnt get to taste much of it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We snuck out of our hotel in jeans and t shirts and went to my wifes favourite burger place,West Point Northampton.We also did not eat much of our own reception meal, or drink much atall.Friends had arranged room service of delightfull nibbles, which was enjoyed, and we watched Silence of the Lambs, for the romance :biggrin:

we didn't get to taste anything either! after choosing the menu ever so carefully, i think i had a bite of caesar salad and half a glass of champagne. we had someone wrap up a whole lot of wedding cake for us and we ate that when we got to the hotel, accompanied by a bottle of champagne. monday's our first anniversary, and i'm going to make the meal we missed--chicken stuffed with spinach & fontina in mushroom sauce, roasted potatoes, and string beans. no big deal, but yummy. we have the top tier of our cake for dessert. can't wait for that cake!

We had a morning wedding in Connecticut, and had a very ambitious plan to have a late dinner at Union Square Cafe. Then all sorts of stuff started to encroach on the plan: first our friends from Vermont had car trouble and needed to be rescued from a gas station in the worst part of New Haven; then we got sidetracked because the inlaws really really wanted to witness the opening of presents; in addition we kept snacking on all the items from the wedding that we hadn't been able to eat there. Needless to say we had to cancel that reservation. We had no actual dinner.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

We went home, and I'm pretty sure we ordered a pizza. We left the next day for our honeymoon and preferred to spend the night at home rather than splurging on a hotel. There was also tons of leftover food from the rehearsal dinner (your standard Jewish dairy deli food) so we may have had some of that. We invited some of our closer friends to join us at home for dinner and rehashing the day together. We thought that would be the most fun way to spend our wedding night.

We actually did eat on our wedding day. One of our attendants brought bagels and fruit, and I brewed some coffee and had some juice for us while we got ready in the morning. After the ceremony, my partner and I did the Orthodox-style thing of 15 minutes of seclusion. I arranged for the caterer to bring a tray of the hors d'ouevres, diet coke (for him) and grapefruit juice (for me) while we were in seclusion. And then the caterer arranged for us to eat first when they opened the buffet. We didn't eat much but we managed to get down a taste of most of the goodies before we couldn't stand it anymore and got up to circulate. (We both love parties and wanted to spend all our time with people we never get to see, not at the table feeding ourselves.) I do remember a server being assigned to just the two of us while we were being served and eating, and the guy refilled my wine glass between each sip. I think I only drank about a half a glass of wine.

Well, we had a nice buffet after our wedding where I didn't eat a darned thing. However, that evening we had the Chinese banquet and by that time I was calm enough to eat. So I actually had lobster, suckling pig, shark's fin soup (or was it bird's nest?), smoked cod, etc.

We were married at the King Edward Hotel in Toronto with the reception afterwards there. I can't remember the canapes except I'm pretty sure I didn't get any. Dinner was French Onion Soup en Croute, Ceasar Salad, Prime rib with roasted garlic potatoes, and baby greens, wedding cake, (my husband's secretary made our cake and it was awesome, 3 tiered chocolate with Silver Frosting (I hate fruit cake) and creme brulee. At 11 pm we had a fruit and cheese and coffee buffet.

The best part is the King Edward invites the bride and groom and best man and best woman for dinner about a month before the reception, and they serve the exact menu that will be served at the wedding. The first time we went, it wasn't that great, so they had us back for a second taste test :smile:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We ate & drank so much at our reception! We did not have a sit down dinner, as that is all I was attending at the time, I was working PR - just a big cocktail party with one long buffet serving everything we loved from Mexican food to pastas to roast meats... and an open bar - once the bartender left for the evening, we cracked open the cases of Veuve Cliquot we had snuck in wrapped as wedding pressies and were keeping iced in the bathtubs upstairs....This was one of the penthouses at the NY Hilton and we did not feel like paying their corkage...shhhhhhh

We stayed up all night and and around 4 am, just before the car came to take us to the airport, we had chilaquiles with fried eggs...

We even had pieces of the wedding cake...I think we may have enjoyed our wedding more than the guests!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

We were married Sunday morning in a rabbi's study, then went home with our three guests for Dom Perignon, cheese, prosciutto and the cake I'd made (orange genoise w/orange butter cream). That left a long stretch until dinner, and it was -10 below outside, so we all went to see Mr. Deeds Goes to Town. Dinner was at PS 77, a long-gone little French restaurant in the neighborhood. Can't remember what we ate.

First: Roast joint of beef, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, green beans, brussel sprouts, peas, spinach, sauteed mushrooms, Yorky puddings and gravy. :smile:

Second: Bagels, lox, whitefish, cream cheese, onions, tomatoes. Seven months pregnant, I did the dishes for ten people. :angry:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

We got married at Westminster Registry office, London and afterwards had a lunch for 30. I had a quail and lentil salad followed by swordfish, and I really can't remember more than that!. In the evening we had a buffet for about 90 and the star of the show was the wedding cake -100 mulitcoloured individual iced cakes. I ate half a stick of celery and despite drinking copious amounts of wine was as sober as a judge. Next day went to Whitstable and drunk Krug with fish and chips on the beach.

KFC and we just celebrated our 41st.

Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

First wedding:

Champagne breakfast

Scotch in the limo

more champagne at the reception

2 Helpings of Prime rib

Fettucine Alfredo

More Champagne

Cake

More Champagne

More Scotch

25-30 Fig Cookies

More Champagne

More Scotch

my own bile

That night felt longer than the marriage

Crow, mainly. When news of our impending nuptials made it back to my home town, three of my friends from childhood phoned to announce they were hopping a plane, whereupon my wife-to-be burst into tears, which were entirely justified. They arrived pissed, mainly stayed pissed for three days and left pissed.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Given that she was eight months pregnant, the "champagne" was non-alcoholic.

I believe that we ate at a fish-n-chips place on the Galveston sea-wall after visiting the Justice-of-the-Peace in a town smaller than my current house... spent the night with a lovely view of the oil wells just offshore, the next morning walking on the beach before heading back to the hotel, where we scrubbed the tar-balls off our feet with a little turpintine as we had eggs from room service.

The marriage lived up to its beginning, ending much the same as it began a few years later, in a fish-n-chips place on some sea-wall somewhere on a different coast. I'm still scraping the tar off.

:wacko: McDonald's - I think I ordered Chicken McNuggets, but I wasn't hungry. The most memorable thing that happened there was that while we were standing at the counter waiting to order, I looked down and a shower of rice fell out of my hair! It was really embarrassing! At least it wasn't birdseed . . .

We eloped to the county courthouse. Wow, what a charming wedding. Montgomery County MD has an exceedingly ugly courthouse, all beige concrete. Since it's also the criminal courthouse, you have to pass through a metal detector to enter. We both set off the metal detector, oh joy (he had a foil gum wrapper in his pocket, I had cloth-covered metal buttons on my dress). The ceremony room is nice enough, but its large picture window overlooks nothing but another wing of the building and some mechanical units. I should have shopped around for courthouses, oh well.

Dinner started with mozzarella sticks at Dave & Buster's, where we killed zombies together as husband and wife. Very romantic. The real dinner was at Niwano Hana, a Japanese restaurant in Rockville MD. My new husband actually tried a tiny nibble of octopus salad and toro. That was the first and last time he's eaten anything vaguely adventurous on purpose. I once tricked him into trying grilled chicken heart, and he's never quite forgiven me. (it turns out they were overcooked, even I thought they were nasty)

We've fully intended to go back to Niwano Hana on each anniversary, but have never been back since our wedding day, two and half years ago. It's a pretty decent restaurant, but it's right next door to our favorite Thai place. Thai always wins out.

Our honeymoon started six weeks after the wedding. I chose Vancouver for the food. :wub: And it would have been a wonderful eating adventure, except I married an unadventurous diner... and he was very ill for 2/3 of the honeymoon. He lived off soup from room service. Luckily we stayed at the Wedgewood, and the soup in question was wild mushroom from Bacchus.

Edited by coastcat (log)

i think i had one shrimp cocktail and perhaps 1 crab claw. maybe a piece of sushi. our wedding was basically a huge extended cocktail hour, as we realized that very few sit down wedding dinners are memorable food-wise. i do recall drinking champagne, wine, and bud most of the night, however. that's about all i remember. had some cake the next day at home with my best man and his girlfriend, as we were told it was very good and didn't get a chance to really eat any.

wedding number 2, if it ever happens, will certainly be much cheaper. coming full circle to the White Castle thread, i'm thinking something along the lines of a few sacks and a cooler of beer. and no fucking tux.