• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The great list of burger chains

Jason Perlow

in san francisco, in 'n out or carl jr's, which one is right behind where all the chessplayers are?

whichever one that is, that's 1 of the 8.

but checkers and steak and shake, both not on the list are 2 others i've been to.

of all of them, i either like steak and shake or checkers the best.

only one data point for s+s, years ago. must return to update sample size.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Sad to say I have only been to 12 on the epinions list...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Only 10, although I've driven by 2 others, plus the unmentioned Checkers. And I've been to the also unmentioned "Steak and Shake", so that sort of makes 11. But maybe I should subtract A&W, since I've never had a burger from them but been to the locations many times.

Fuddruckers went downhill ten years ago. When they first appeared, a few years before that, they were pretty good. Then the quality control slipped ridiculously.

Hardees and Carl Jr.'s are the same ownership now, aren't they? Do we count them twice? Is the food significantly different?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Roy Rogers isn't on the list... or is that because they were either converted to Hardees and Bobs Big Boys? I used to go to Roys all the time. You could really stack those burgers up at the fixins bar.

Here's the whole sordid history:

http://www.geocities.com/roy_rogers_wb/history.htm

Apparently there are some new "recently renovated" Roy Rogers on the NJ turnpike.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I've been to In-N-Out, Fuddruckers, Culver's, Whataburger, Red Robin, Fatburger, Back Yard Burgers, Wendy's, Sonic, A & W, Jack in the Box, Arby's, Carl's Jr., White Castle, Burger King, Johnny Rockets, McDonald's, and Hardee's. Of the eighteen I've experienced, only In-N-Out is worth the trip. Everything else sucks.

Much peace,

Ian Lowe

ballast/regime

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

Actually, I think Johnny Rockets burgers are pretty decent, especially that one with the weird tomato sauce on it.

Sad to say I have only been to 12 on the epinions list...

sure, but how many times? :biggrin:

i recently stopped at a Roy Rogers on the turnpike (around new brunswick i think...on my way to baltimore. that's as far as i got before i had to eat, sad to say). it wasn't all that good, but it was nice to see the Fixin's Bar, just like when i was in high school. quite exciting indeed.

11. (Not even funny.)

I'm really surprised it's that high. Apparently Alaska gets a lot of mediocre chains.

But since when does Arby's have burgers? I've never seen burgers there. Nor on their ads.

I think mayo is a plus on a burger when the cheese is real.

Tommy - I am expecting you to get the ref.

Johnny Rockets is as mediocre as Fuddruckers or Hard Rock Cafe.  If I had to choose a second place, it would be Fat Burger, since it is the closest to In-N-Out (fries aren't as good, though).

IML

b/r

You say some of the strangest things.

Johnny Rockets is as mediocre as Fuddruckers or Hard Rock Cafe.  If I had to choose a second place, it would be Fat Burger, since it is the closest to In-N-Out (fries aren't as good, though).

IML

b/r

You say some of the strangest things.

I dunno, Stone. Sounds right to me. In its day, Hamburger Hamlet had good burgers, but that day is gone. And it's not even on the list. What are your faves?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Well obviously a lot of REALLY small local chains won't make the list. NYC has a tiny chain called "Burger Heaven", for example, with I believe 3 locations. Is that even a chain? 3 locations?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I have been to 12. We road trip from Vancouver to Palm Springs every year so the insight I can give is In and Out is the best. Islands is the worst, because they try to be more then they are and thier burgers are so dry, like eating sand from a camel's hoof.

I like the sourdough jacks at Jack in the Box and those deep fried jalopenos.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

My number is lucky 13. I want to add a vote for Steak N Shake, which just came to south Florida recently (a welcome addition.) We also have a local chain called Char Hut, which makes a great burger.

Author of the Mahu series of mystery novels set in Hawaii.

I actually agree with Jason about "Rockets". Most of the other food sucks, but the burgers are interesting becuase they get this kind of crunchy texture I find interesting. Not burnt though--it doesn't have that burnt taste. And the cocktail-like sauce they put on the "number 5" burger just works in an odd way. They aren't excellent, but its different and not at all offensive.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

They also do unlimited fountain sodas and will make you stuff like creamsicle sodas and vanilla cokes (not the disgusting vanilla coke, coke with vanilla syrup added, the classic way)

Proud to say I've been to exactly none of them. Passed by most of them and have never once been tempted.

not curious at all? i mean, it is a part of food culture afterall. why deny oneself the experience?

Nope. Got introduced to the "legendary" White Spot hamburger in Vancouver (I think) in '71, which was pretty good, then found out that the chain kinda fell apart later because of some fairly heavy health problems. Since then I figured that the risk/reward ratio wasn't worth it. Fast Food Nation backed that theory up rather well. If I'm gonna eat shit it had better be tasty shit.

They also do unlimited fountain sodas ...

Doesn't everyone do unlimited fountain sodas? Or is that a regional thing?

Being from the south, I'd always imagined that everyone served endless gallons of iced tea from jugs large enough to hold, well, gallons. Then I moved to Boston and learned differently.

Still, I thought that sodas were freely refilled everywhere.