• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The "Secret" Menu of In-N-Out Burger

Jason Perlow

I ate at an In-n-Out just two days ago, my third time in three years.

Rather, I ate in my jeep in the parking lot of the In-n-Out.

The burgers & fries are good, and cheap, no question. Unfortunately, the chaos and noise level make it absolutely impossible to enjoy the food inside.

Are they all that crazy? Or is it a location thing?

It's all location. Some In-n-Out locations are very nicely decked out, with sound baffles, decorative plants and such. Others are purist, going back to the white and red tile.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

To those who doubt the "secret" nature of the menu:

Every item on the secret menu, lingo included, was invented by actual In-N-Out customers whose preferences slowly caught on with other diners. In-N-Out decided to officially "recognize" any innovations made by their customers, to the point where they have changed their training to include these preferences. There are few examples of this in the world of chain restaurants, and I think it's pretty cool.

Much peace,

IML

ballast/regime

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

To those who doubt the "secret" nature of the menu:

Every item on the secret menu, lingo included, was invented by actual In-N-Out customers whose preferences slowly caught on with other diners.  In-N-Out decided to officially "recognize" any innovations made by their customers, to the point where they have changed their training to include these preferences.  There are few examples of this in the world of chain restaurants, and I think it's pretty cool.

Much peace,

IML

ballast/regime

Well put, b/r,

Even though I grew up in SoCal, I'm a fairly late convert to the In-N-Out chain. Never had a double-double until about two years ago and now I'm hooked.

Shakes are fine, fries are fine, long waits need improvement. :cool: