• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

US Source for tant pour tant

pim

Luck has brought me a stack of old French patisserie recipes--written in French in short-hand! It took me a long while, and a lot of effort to decode all the abbreviations. Many of these recipes ask for TPT, tant pour tant, which I finally figured out to be, literally, half and half (by weight) finely ground almond flour and icing sugar.

I have made it myself a few times, but find the process quite tedious. Does anyone know a source for it in the US? I am in the Bay Area, so local source would be great, but I am game for mail order as well.

thanks,

Pim

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Only place I know that might have it is Made in France, I think they have an SF location, maybe LA though.

Ok. Here's the site address:

www.madeinfrance.net

They are in SF.

Hope this helps.

2317/5000

I don't think I've ever noticed someone selling it (TPT) already mixed. I always buy my almond flour and mix the two myself. It's a breeze this way and you can mix together larger amount and hold it so it's always on hand when you need it. Most serious foodie places sell almond flour by mail, but I'm sorry, I'm not familar with your area.

Lucky you, how did you come across old French recipes hand written? I think I'm jealous!

P.S. TPT is still used in many modern pastry books. It's the basis of several items I know no other way of making.

I ran into this term for the very first time last week at the French Pastry School. When the recipe called for it we just mixed our own. I think it makes sense to buy the almond flour and sugar, since you need them separately in so many other reicpes anyway.

What quantities of almond flour are you looking for? Are you baking at home in small quantity, or professionally in big batches?

Thanks for all the tips. I only bake at home in small quantity. I'd love to be a profressional patissiere, but I don't think I have the skills and, more importantly, the patience. :-)

As for the provenance of the recipes, a friend who inherited them, but was unable to understand them on her own. So we came to a deal that was good for both of us, I would do the work of translation, and would get a copy for myself. :-)

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

If you're grinding the almonds yourself, I find it to be a bit of a pain, since a food processor does not do a good job of grinding the almonds into consistent small pieces.

Edited by rickster (log)

If you're grinding the almonds yourself, I find it to be a bit of a pain, since a food processor does not do a good job of graindng the almonds into consistent small pieces.

I use a kitchen aid food grinder attachment to grind nuts. Works a charm.

How do you make your almond flour, if you don't mind sharing ...:biggrin:

2317/5000

You love to bake but mixing TPT yourself is too taxing?  Are you also a waiter on "The Restaurant"???

Well have we got attitude!

No, the mixing part is not too taxing. It's the grinding the almond that's a little tedious. I used my good old food processor, which work adequately, but as Rickster kindly pointed out, the almonds were not grind to a uniform size.

I don't like it that when I make Macarons, I could still bite into chunks of nuts. I'd like to see if there's any place I could order a patisserie quality TPT, or even just almond flour so I could save myself some time.

Nope, not a waiter from The Restaurant, just someone who occasionally has better things to do than wasting an hour roasting/grinding almond.

BTW, Tan319, I will try the grinder attaching to a kitchenaid, that's an idea I haven't heard of before. Thanks.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

Interesting about the food grinder. I own one and never thought about using it, figuring it was just for meat. I folllow the amateur recipes that call for chopping the almonds in a food processor. The Bugat cake and cookie books call for chopping the almonds with the confectioners sugar and then passing the almonds through a sieve, then returning the leftovers to the food processor, chopping again and sieving them again, repeat several times until almost all the almonds go through the sieve. This can be a somewhat tedious process.

I will have to try the grinder.

Edited by rickster (log)

I use the fine grinding disc. You may want to lightly dry them out in the oven as they get a slightly wet feel.

Chefette,SteveKlc or Michael L. may want to weigh in on this too, just to give their opinon. I was just always seeing ground almonds in recipes and thought why not really grind them?

I hope it works out for you.

Still waiting for a recipe though... :biggrin: if it's more then the standard 50-50 mix, that is.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

OK. I couldn't resist testing this tonight and ground some almonds and pistachios with the KitchenAid grinder. A great improvement over the food processor. Wish I knew this before I ordered that almond flour from King Arthur :sad: . Only issue I could see is that the grind was a bit oilier than using the processor (did not see your advice on drying the nuts tan319 before trying this) and I clogged the grinder with the almonds, which I think would be remedied if I chopped them a bit more before grinding.

May need to try making some Macarons later this week.

... as they get a slightly wet feel.

My first impression when reading about using a grinder per se, was that it would release too much oil. Commercially "ground" nuts go through more of a milling process. For those who have found success, though, carry on. While it is admirable to know how to produce such products as almond paste, and even finely ground nuts, I leave it to the commercial manufacturers to give me quality, consistency, and convenience.

I guess I'm sort of with cheffette... stir together equal parts commercial almond flour and confectioner's sugar, and, well, that's it!

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

e, was that it would release too much oil. Commercially "ground" nuts go through more of a milling process. For those who have found success, though, carry on. While it is admirable to know how to produce such products as almond paste, and even finely ground nuts, I leave it to the commercial manufacturers to give me quality, consisitency, and convenience.

I as almond paste, and even finely ground nuts, I leave it to the commercial manufacturers to give me quality, consisitency, and convenience.

ISe, was that it would release too much oil. Commercially "ground" nuts go through more of a milling process. For those who have

I know what you mean, Michael.

I've just used this method more as an experiment then anything else. But, now that I think of it, I think there is an milling attachment also for the mixer.

I've also been trying to keep my inventory down on stuff I don't use all the time, to save the boss some bucks. And leave me leeway on $$$ i can use to buy stuff like chocolate.

2317/5000

I use the fine grinding disc. You may want to lightly dry them out in the oven as they get a slightly wet feel.

Chefette,SteveKlc or Michael L. may want to weigh in on this too, just to give their opinon. I was just always seeing ground almonds in recipes and thought why not really grind them?

I hope it works out for you.

Still waiting for a recipe though... :biggrin: if it's more then the standard 50-50 mix, that is.

My research led me to believe that the proportion is half and half by weight and not measure.

I would let the pros say for sure though. Am I right?

thx,

Pim

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste