• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Markets

I'd be interested in your impressions of the local Asian markets. I've shopped at a few of them, but wonder if some are better sources for Thai, some for Vietnamese, some Chinese, Japanese, etc.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I go for the big ones:

Chung May, just below 11th on Race, for Chinese

1st Oriental, at 6th & Washington, for Vietnamese

But if there are others with yet more hard to find stuff that I might want, I'd love suggestions as well...

lessee, most should have good Chinese stuff, especially Chinatown and Washington Ave areas.

In addition, the ones on Washington Ave should also have good Vietnamese stuff.

I would recommend the one on 6th St. in particular.

There's pretty good Korean markets on Route 70 in Cherry Hill and just off Old York Road in Elkins Park, owned by the same people I believe, but from the people I know, they say the one in Cherry Hill is better.

(could just be the people I know) :laugh:

That's it for anything I would consider a supermarket. Of course, don't discount the many fruit and veggie stands in Chinatown as well.

I believe there's a small market for Indonesian goods on Morris, between 17th and 18th.

There's the Midori Mart, another small market, on Chesnut just west of 21st. Japanese.

I believe there's a Thai one somewhere in West Philly, just can't say where.

There's a few South Asian ones in West Philly as well, the most well known one (ie the one that comes to mind) is on Walnut somewhere between 40th nd 43rd. Larger than the previous two, smaller than the supermarkets on Washington Ave and in Chinatown, unless my memory is failing me.

( Much like Samson, I lose my powers when my hair is cut) :laugh:

Rich?

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

There's a few South Asian ones in West Philly  as well, the most well known one (ie the one that comes to mind) is on Walnut somewhere between 40th nd 43rd.  Larger than the previous two, smaller than the supermarkets on Washington Ave and in Chinatown, unless my memory is failing me.

Isn't that just called the International Market? When I get off my ass and actually cook something out of this south indian cookbook I have, I plan on shopping there.

There's also a tiny south asian (indian? pakistani?) market on Locust between 43rd & 44th, I think--near Koch's. Someone else knows the name--I think I learned about it here.

Isn't that just called the International Market?  When I get off my ass and actually cook something out of this south indian cookbook I have,  I plan on shopping there.

I think that that's the name. It's pretty good for Indian groceries. And they even have a selection of Ethiopian products, including packaged injera.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to cook-along with the eGCI Thai course. It sounds like the best place for Thai ingredients is International on Walnut in West Phila. This will save me some of the frustration of shopping for ingredients I don't already know in a language I don't know.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

On Adams AVenue, in the NOrtheast, just off of Roosevelt Boulevard, there is a small shopping strip with an excellent Asian Market. Great selection of Vietnamese, Chinese, but other foodstuffs, china, plastic tea sets and other ware. Friendly; parking; stop in at Pho75 for fabulous soups. There is a butcher shop, fresh fish, Peking Duck, etc, etc, plus extensive frozen foods of all nationalities. A Find.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to cook-along with the eGCI Thai course. It sounds like the best place for Thai ingredients is International on Walnut in West Phila. This will save me some of the frustration of shopping for ingredients I don't already know in a language I don't know.

I thought International was more indian/pakistani than Thai? I mean, ingredient-wise, wouldn't 1st Oriental down at 6th & Washington be a much better bet?

For future reference, P & P Grocery on Locust between 44th and 45th (across the street from the Acme turned CVS)

That's the one I was trying to think of, above! Thanks gabe.

yea, thanks Gabe!

i knew there was something like that somewhere around there.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I goofed by quoting a Chowhound post about the P & P market. It had to be deleted -- I don't want to get anyone in copyright trouble.

The gist of it was, there's a hole-in-the-wall Thai grocery store in University City between 44th & 45th on Locust that should be able to fulfill your needs for Thai ingredients. Read a little more about it in this post from Deb A.