• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any info on Prugnolo Gentile?

redwinegulper

Prugnolo Gentile is the name of the sangiovese clone used in Montepulciano. Similar to Brunello is the clone used in Montalcino.

slowfood/slowwine

It is also the Sangiovese used in Vino Nobile di Montepulicano.

Yes that is what T was referring to.

Remember all - there is no Montepulciano (the vine) in Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (the wine), which as T and Carema have noted is primarily Prugnolo Gentile (sangiovese).

Montepulciano (the vine) reaches its peak of quality in Abruzzo and Le Marche and is not grown or have any part in the production of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (the wine) which is produced in Toscana.

Thanks for the insight. It certainly makes sense that the predominant grape in the Rosso is a clone of the sangiovese. What was unusual is that the wine had a very low acid level, which you would not expect with so much sangiovese.  I think I need to try another bottle!

The 30% of merlot should bury the acids of the sangiovese just fine.

Sad isn't it. :angry:

The Avignonesi Rosso 2000 is a typical example of a super-modern style that destroys the personality of the region that produces it.

Drink their Vino Nobile it is a more interesting wine.

Craig, I love their Vino Nobile. That is why I was so excited to try this Rosso...and at $10 I was so eager to have it become a house wine. But alas, I was disappointed.

For $10 the rosso is not bad. I just don't like the style.

For great house wine forget Toscana. Try Montepulciano from Abruzzo, Negroamaro from Puglia and Nero d'Avola from Sicilia.

Craig:

In order for a wine to be Brunello di Montalcino, must it be 100% sangiovese grosso? The same with Vino Nobile Montepulciano, 100% Prugnolo or can other things be added or blended with it?

slowfood/slowwine

Craig:

In order for a wine to be Brunello di Montalcino, must it be 100% sangiovese grosso? The same with Vino Nobile Montepulciano, 100% Prugnolo or can other things be added or blended with it?

Brunello has to be 100% sangiovese grosso (brunello). It is actually labeled with with a varietal by its own name Brunello di Montalcino - brunello from Montalcino. All Italian wines that are varietal labeled are 'supposed' to be 100% of that varietal. In practice small percentages of other grapes find their way into the wine for practical not mischievous reasons.

The current DOCG for Vino Nobile reads as follows:

“Vino Nobile di Montepulciano” DOCG wine must be made from the winery’s vineyards, with the following ampelographic composition: - Sangiovese (called Prugnolo Gentile in Montepulciano): minimum 70%. - Canaiolo nero may be included for a maximum of 20%, and other varieties recommended and/or authorized in the province of Siena may also be used for a maximum of 20%, provided that the percentage of white grapes does not exceed 10%. - Aromatic varieties may not be used, except Malvasia del Chianti.

The "other" varieties referred to would include all the important French varieties now commonly used in Toscana. The old law used to require a MINUMUM of white grapes to be included while this new law list a MAXIMUM of white grapes. A major difference. Most of the top producers use little or no white wine in their Vino Nobile - except where it is needed to improve the wine because of the quality of the vintage.

These are the complete DOCG rules for the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano:

Product Specifications

The Avignonesi Rosso 2000 is a typical example of a super-modern style that destroys the personality of the region that produces it.

I don't know this wine.

Super-modern style may be intended as a Supertuscan?

Aren't Supertuscans super-modern style wines?

These are the complete DOCG rules for the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano:

Product Specifications

I don't know this wine.

Super-modern style may be intended as a Supertuscan?

Aren't Supertuscans super-modern style wines?

There are many ultra-modern style wines that are not super-tuscan but are Chianti or Brunello or Vino Nobile.

There are some super-tuscans that are not ultra-modern like Montevertine and Monsanto.

There is no such thing a rule for something called super-tuscan. It is anything the producer wants it to be. Good/bad, modern/traditional, 100% sangiovese and 0% sangiovese. It is a fantasy name.