• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ojai, Santa Barbara and Cambria?

Rosie

Enough people told me to stay away from Palm Springs and Big Bear Lake in early Sept. so we have changed our vacation plans. We will be going to Ojai, Santa Barbara and if time permits Cambria. We have six days.

Any restaurant recommendations? We like everything from the little mom/pop places that locals know about to innovative cuisine. I'm a member of James Beard so I have a list of James Beard restaurants.

Also, if you have any recommendations of "must stay at" and "must see" places that would be appreciated also. Thanks.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I stayed at the Biltmore once. Like most of those grand old hotels, the lobby was drop dead gorgeous, the grounds were breathtaking, and our room was well, tired in that 70-year-old bathroom kind of way. Best to go there for a drink or a cup of tea, not the night.

I stayed at the Biltmore once. Like most of those grand old hotels, the lobby was drop dead gorgeous, the grounds were breathtaking, and our room was well, tired in that 70-year-old bathroom kind of way. Best to go there for a drink or a cup of tea, not the night.

Excellent cheese & fruit plate in the Biltmore Bar.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

In Santa Barbara, there are some lovely little hotels just a couple of blocks from the beach. I stayed here during Christmas 2001 and loved it.

http://www.marinabeachmotel.com/

I don't know what kind of swank factor you desire, but this place was so pretty and very nicely kept. They also have bicycles you can borrow to ride along the beach.

We like an Argentinian restaurant, Cafe Buenos Aires, on State St.

http://www.cafebuenosaires.com/

My dad really likes the Brown Pelican, which is right on the ocean. I've never been there, but since he plans to retire in SB, I'm sure I'll be going here frequently.

http://www.santabarbara.com/dining/a_stone...can/default.asp

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

In Montecito, just outside Santa Barbara, the Montecito Inn is very nice and their restaurant ain't bad (need reservations). Across the street, the Wine Bistro is great for all kinds of snacks and wine. You're probably aware of Downeys, the Wine Cask, and La Super Rica in Santa Barbara.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

You're killing me. Born and bred Venturan, haven't been home in 10 years.

I remember going to a sulfur-fed hot springs in Ojai, with massage facilities and a natural food restaurant next door. The food was not bad (not hay bricks on tofu squares, actually a decent caesar, at the time). But I would not go for the food, necessarily, rather for the private tubs (sulfur reeks everywhere. Wonderful) and massage. A nice retreat, sorry can't remember the name.

Chicago today is: muggy, stifling and miserable. Yippee! :sad:

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

In Santa Barbara, go to Citronelle at the Santa Barbara Inn at breakfast time for the fresh baked croissants and the fabulous view of the ocean. For a great kick-back lunch, to to Brophy's on the pier for oyster shooters, a basket of fried shrimp and cold beers.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

In Santa Barbara, go to Citronelle at the Santa Barbara Inn at breakfast time for the fresh baked croissants and the fabulous view of the ocean. For a great kick-back lunch, to to Brophy's on the pier for oyster shooters, a basket of fried shrimp and cold beers.

Citronelle is a wonderful restaurant. It's on the third floor, IIRC, and you can watch people rollerblading on the pathways by the beach, and watch the sun set over the pacific if you have dinner there. The rooms in the hotel are very reasonable, too.

Definitely agree on Wine Cask and Super Rica (Julia Child's favorite?). There are several sites which lay out tours of the Santa Ynez valley, just over the hill, literally.

Hearst Castle is just north of Cambria, we found it to be delightful and a wonderful experience

Many wineries are very helpful in providing no name, cushioned boxes to ship your "olive oil" home to NJ. The UPS store in Santa Barbara has the drill down pat. PM if you want details...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

In Ojai, two MUST places...

The Ranch House is caught in a bit of a time-warp but, finally, quite good. Very nice surroundings, loads of gardens. Menu is a bit old-fashioned but the wine list is very good and reasonable. It is - as should be expected - Central Coast and Santa Barbara centric. While this place is open for dinner it is very doable as lunch or brunch on weekends.

Suzanne's has the more ambitious kitchen and menu. Pleasant enough indoors but with a nice outdoor area this time of year. An excellent wine list though, again very Santa Barbara-oriented. Still, lots of things you'll never see in New Jersey !

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

I haven't been to SB in at least 3 years, but with that caveat, La Super-Rica is the best taqueria I've been to so far and better than all of the places I've been to in San Francisco by a significant margin. My cousins, who grew up in large part in SB, both feel the same way about the place, and so does my brother (my parents also like the place), so when any of us get to SB to visit my aunt, the first chance we get, it's off to La Super-Rica, and we usually go repeatedly on each trip. I can still remember the spicy quesadilla (I think) made with a large smoked spicy chili and beans. I really look forward to going back. Maybe I'll get to California again in January.

Michael aka "Pan"

Forgot to add that as a teenager, for an outing with my French class, went to L'Auberge Parisienne. I can't vouch for the food (going back nearly 30 years ago - god), but the setting was nice; in someone's home, or so it seemed, with a nice view of a verdant back yard and environs.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Another vote for the Wine Cask

If you find yourself in Santa Maria, 1 hour north of Santa Barbara on the 101, try Chef Rick’s Fine Foods. It is a wonderful little restaurant where Chef Rick Manson surprises guests with a creative and well executed menu.

There are also some great wineries in Paso Robles (about half way between Cambria and Santa Barbara) like Justin.......it is worth going just to check out their tasting room and Tablas Creek.

nothing to eat in cambria. but there is a nice garden store, heart's ease, if you're into that sort of thing. closest decent restaurants, probably Old Port Inn in Avila beach. pretty good fresh fish (they're on a commercial pier, so you can look at the fresh catch as an appetizer). decent local wine list. in Paso Robles, there's Bistro Laurent, which is decent french food (in honesty, a little tired), but a very good wine list that usually offers some really special things from local wineries. in santa barbara, definite yes for wine cask (you can buy the wine at their wine store next door and they charge something like $1 to pour it for you). very good food. and of course super-rica. i also like pane vino in montecito, if you're careful to ask just what is good today and show some interest, i've eaten extraordinarily well there.

If you work your way as far north as Cambria, be sure to stop along the way in San Luis Obispo to visit a fabulous winery, Claiborne & Churchill. They are not only wonderful people, they make great dry Alsatian wines. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you've never tried them before. Also, be sure to ask them about a new restaurant in the area--the winery has several private tasting dinners each year. Several have been catered by a wonderful chef--Maegan---? (sorry I can't come up with her name) and she has recently opened a restaurant in the area. However, I'm sure that if you email Claiborne & Churchill, they will be happy to let you know where it is and how to get there. Tell them Deb & Don sent you!!

Enjoy your trip!!!

Deb

Liberty, MO

Santa Barbara: La Super Rica :raz:

Montecito: Trattoria Mollie

Buellton: The Hitching Post - Retro w/ 800 deg grill!

Santa Ynez: Chef Rick's - just opened

Trasttoria Grappolo - :rolleyes: Reservations on weekend very necessary.

Los Olivos: The Brothers at Matteis Tavern, again reservations are advised. The food fabulous - the veal chop is near perfect .

Cambria - When I visit I cook at my rental, I never had a really notable meal in town.