• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Liquor

MatthewB

Somehow, somewhere whilst in Chicago over the weekend, the following issue was posed . . . (Let's blame it on the bartender at the Talbott. :laugh: )

OK, what's the best liquor to fulfill the liquid function in a water pipe?

Not only what but why, etc., please.

Well, i gotta say, ice cold water is the very best liquid, but liquor? Hmmm. Seems i remember trying it in college with cold vodka (not bad), cheap red wine (not too good) and beer (yuck).

Heather, hee hee...

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Personally I'd go with something nutty and sweet, like Amaretto or Frangelico, mixed with a lot of water and a lot of ice (because I like the smoked cooled). I've found that it does not take much liquor to influence the tastes going through the water pipe, and I certainly wouldn't want to overpower those tastes with something like straight liquer.

Obviously, no one here has had any personal experiences with water pipes.

I beg your pardon? :huh:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Personally I'd go with something nutty and sweet, like Amaretto or Frangelico, mixed with a lot of water and a lot of ice (because I like the smoked cooled). I've found that it does not take much liquor to influence the tastes going through the water pipe, and I certainly wouldn't want to overpower those tastes with something like straight liquer.

Yeah - but the cleanup after someone knocks it over and it soaks into the carpet is a nightmare...

Not that I'd know anything about that. :shock:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Scotch and ice cubes. Adds a nice earthy taste, but a little sweet, too. So I hear. Warning that you've spent too much time with the water pipe is when you begin discussing straining the scotch and drinking it.

Yeah, a "water pipe."

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Obviously, no one here has had any personal experiences with water pipes.

Um... well, it's been about 20 years. And at that time, I was filling the thing with whatever I could get my hands on. Personally, I wouldn't want to ruin any decent liquor by turning it into bong water. Although maybe bong technology has progressed greatly since the mid 80s.

--