• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bundaberg - Mixes with?

Fulcrum_29

While out of province i was liquor shopping and stocking up on rums that just are not available locally. I spied a bottle of Bundaberg, saw that it was from Australia and said to myself, "self, that australian rum could be good." Well i got it home and tried a dram of it... :wacko: what was i thinking... this is the country that makes vegimite! oh god it's terrible. So it was instantly a mixing rum... but i can't find a good mixer for it. Tried coke, pepsi, fruit jucies... no joy.

There has to be something that this stuff mixes with???

what were you thinking!!!!

never been able to drink Bundy ever since me and another had 1 litre of OP to 1.5 ltres of Coke.

Why not put it in a rum punch. I make a very simple one. Plenty of rum, gomme syrup, lime/lemon juice, bitters and a bit of orange juice with plenty of freesh ground nutmeg. Crushed ice and away you go. I managed to get shot of a bottle of Lamb's cheap stuff this way.

PS has anyone had Bundaberg Black 1987?

I've tried Bundy Black and enjoyed it - it's quite rich but pretty smooth, definitely worth a try although I haven't found very much of it in the US. If you want to try a great Aussie rum, then Inner Circle is great if you can find it

• 1 month later...

Ah yes...the ole' Bundy....I got a bottle of Bundaberg Black VAT 70 ( from 1989 ) , in Fiji ; the label spouts on about " each individually numbered bottle of VAT 70-1989 marks a moment in time that can never be repeated....." THANK GOODNESS !!!!...I wish I had bought another bottle of Bounty...now thats a tasty rum !

Vegamite indeed....Ha Ha Ha

• 4 weeks later...

I guess you have to be Aussie to appreciate Bundy. Down under they mix it with Coke and bottle it as rum and coke in cans. I don't drink Coke so I tried it with ginger ale when it was the only rum in the bar and with lime it was drinkable but the punch recipe from ctgm sounds better.

It just goes to show that people drink what they are used to, but even some of my Aussie friends can't drink Bundy once they start drinking Caribbean rums.

And Inner Circle is now imported by Spirit of Hartford.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

PS has anyone had Bundaberg Black 1987?

Yes, I have. Although warned all around not to spend money on Bundy, I did buy a bottle Bundy Black 1987. And to me, it tasted a lot like gin. It had that very recognizable flavour, and tasted in nothing like the rums I'm used to.

This is a rum I won't buy again, it was one of those rums for which any coke is too good :wacko:

Down Under Bundy is sold in a premixed can as Rum and Coke. Something that the Coca Cola company in the states doesn't seem to be interested in since they don't want the repercussions of responsible drinking affecting their established market.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Oh Ed. I take it take you are indeed a brave soul to try bundy.. :biggrin: If you do want to mix it I suggest firstly get some GINGER BEER ( D & G old Jamaican is the best) some fresh lime and a dash of Angostura bitters. This will taste very similar to Goslings " Dark n Stormy. The 2nd mixer is a bible...! But on a serious note Bunderberg and ginger beer is so popular in Austrailia that the Bundy company have now started selling Bunderberg Ginger Beer to mix especially with their 3 different rums! They also sell Bundy and Ginger in a bottle called...Dark and Stormy.

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com