• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Castle

fresh_a

Couldn't find another WC thread. Has this been discussed before?

I hear their burgers are excellent, and that they are open 24/7

Any info?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call their burgers "excellent". They are what they are. But that doesn't mean that I dont crave them at 2am.

White Castle burgers are unique in that they are steamed and are VERY small with square buns, they can be held between your forefingers and thumb. At best they are two bites. Maybe 3. Also known as the "Slyder" because of how they have this amazing ability to move through your digestive system at amazing speed.

They can also be found in the frozen foods section of most supermarkets. Not quite the same experience of going to get them at an actual WC location though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And their frozen burgers are microwavable, or for the oven?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

And their frozen burgers are microwavable, or for the oven?

Microwave.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

As I recollect, the burgers are actually cooked on a grill, covered with diced onions. But there is so much moisture from the burgers that they half steam, half grill. There are five holes, like a five on a die, drilled through each burger. Speeds the cooking I suspect. They come in boxes like blocks and fit perfectly into a bag.

My favorite - double cheese with bacon, so much grease in such a tiny box.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Excellent! Wonder if they deliver to France?

blog

Excellent! Wonder if they deliver to France?

Probably not. But I suspect White Castle would be absolutely mobbed in Paris if they opened one.

Le Castille Blanc?

Chateau Blanche

Edited by fresh_a (log)

blog

Chateau Blanche

Lol, that's what I'm gonna call it from now on.

What would you pair Les Hamburgers de Chateau Blanche with, a Petrus? Or Le Coca-Cola? Le Pepsi Free?

As I recollect, the burgers are actually cooked on a grill, covered with diced onions.  But there is so much moisture from the burgers that they half steam, half grill.  There are five holes, like a five on a die, drilled through each burger.  Speeds the cooking I suspect.  They come in boxes like blocks and fit perfectly into a bag.

The onions are directly on the griddle. The patties, 2.5" square with five holes (always been that way, as far as I know), are placed on top of the onions. The onions release water which turns into steam as they cook, thus "steam-grilling" the patties above. The holes reduce sogginess by giving the moisture an escape valve and allow the buns, which are placed on top of the patties, to absorb additional steam and flavor.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

They are wonderful -- occasionally. As the kids and I head north tomorrow for a week or two, we will leave early morning and stop in Hinckley (1 hour north of the Twin Cities) and get a 10 pack (at least) of sliders for breakfast. They can't wait! ETA in Hinkley is 9:30 am in case anyone wants to join us. They are nice because you can eat them while driving and not loose too much crap on your laps.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Couldn't find another WC thread. Has this been discussed before?

I hear their burgers are excellent, and that they are open 24/7

There have been some White Castle discussions. On this thread I commented:

White Castle produces an acceptable product, but there are several places utilizing a similar procedure that serve superior burgers. Sassy's Sliders on Third Avenue between 86th and 87th Streets (in New York City) is one.

http://www.sassyssliders.com/home.html

Another is White Manna, in Hackensack, NJ.

http://www.hollyeats.com/WhiteManna.htm

The steamed burger, by the way, is a venerable and respectable species. It reaches its pinnacle in Meriden, CT.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Review_Wri...p?Review_ID=112

White Castle was the first fast-food chain, according to its Web site.

http://www.whitecastle.com/home.asp

There are five holes in each patty.

Also:

How many burgers fit on one of those griddles?

30 at a time, and the onions are under the patties.

White Castle comes up tangentially whenever we talk about the places that are in the same genre but much better:

Sassy's Sliders thread

White Manna thread

In addition, while the burgers are tasty, be warned that everything else is awful. White Castle serves just about the worst fries in the fast-food chain-restaurant universe, for example.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

As I recollect, the burgers are actually cooked on a grill, covered with diced onions.  But there is so much moisture from the burgers that they half steam, half grill.  There are five holes, like a five on a die, drilled through each burger.  Speeds the cooking I suspect.  They come in boxes like blocks and fit perfectly into a bag.

The onions are directly on the griddle. The patties, 2.5" square with five holes (always been that way, as far as I know), are placed on top of the onions. The onions release water which turns into steam as they cook, thus "steam-grilling" the patties above. The holes reduce sogginess by giving the moisture an escape valve and allow the buns, which are placed on top of the patties, to absorb additional steam and flavor.

You're right, big guy. Philadelphia's White Castles closed down about three years ago. Been a while since I've eaten my way through a baigful. So much for my mind's eye.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Philadelphia's White Castles closed down about three years ago.  Been a while since I've eaten my way through a baigful.

Drive on over to 1505 Route 73, Pennsauken, NJ 8110.

Philadelphia's White Castles closed down about three years ago.  Been a while since I've eaten my way through a baigful.

Drive on over to 1505 Route 73, Pennsauken, NJ 8110.

I go to Jersey for a Burger, I'm not stopping til I get to White Manna.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter