• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The truth about Merlot & Bordeaux

Carema

Carema, I can forgive you for your mis-listing of Mouton, we are only human, but I would like to point out to the discussion that even in the Medoc, with the exception of the great communes Margaux, St. Julien ect., more Merlot is planted than Cabernet. In fact most "Medoc", "Haut-Medoc", Listrac and Moulis are generally 50% to 60% merlot. In these areas, that make up the the most hectarage of land in the Medoc, the well drained gravel soil that Cab needs is not present and clay, which is the soil of choice for Merlot, is dominate. Even in appellations such as Margaux where the gravel is not evenly distributed Merlot can be the highest percentage in the blend in the lesser known Chateau.

Also in Bordeaux where there are many statistics on the exact hectarage of which grapes are planted these statistics cannot be relied on to determine their cepage. Chateaus do not rely on a field blend of grapes, the very reason for Bordeaux being a blended wine is vintage variation. There for in every year the cuvee of even the great houses change. The cepage in cooler years contains more Merlot and Cab Franc, both ripen earlier, and practically zero Petite Verdot which ripens latter than Cab Sauv. And that see-saws every year with an average of only 3 to 4 vintages being very good or excellent in a decade. In fact the only Chateau that can be relied on to be 80%+ Cab every year is Mouton, and that was due to the vanity of the dead Count.

I hope this is not to long for my first response but I'll try to be back soon.

Welcome, Auxerrois. Thanks for the post, and we hope to see more of you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Because other than Petrus the most famous classified growths are from the Medoc and use predominately Cabernet Sauvignon.

Haut-Brion, La Mission-Haut-Brion, Petrus, Ausone, Le Pin, Angelus, L'Evangile, Lafleur, Clos L'Eglise, L'Eglise-Clinet, Clinet, Cheval Blanc, Figeac, La Fleur-Petrus, Smith-Haut-Lafitte, Trotanoy, La Gomerie, La Mondotte, Valandraud

Quite a list I'd say...

fanatic...

Because other than Petrus the most famous classified growths are from the Medoc and use predominately Cabernet Sauvignon.

Haut-Brion, La Mission-Haut-Brion, Petrus, Ausone, Le Pin, Angelus, L'Evangile, Lafleur, Clos L'Eglise, L'Eglise-Clinet, Clinet, Cheval Blanc, Figeac, La Fleur-Petrus, Smith-Haut-Lafitte, Trotanoy, La Gomerie, La Mondotte, Valandraud

Quite a list I'd say...

... quite a list indeed. But a list filled with names that the casual big bucks label drinker never heard of. The fame (and legend) of Bordeaux was built on Lafite, Mouton, Margaux, Latour and Haut Brion. Petrus is a newcomer compared to these. The legend of cabernet sauvignon and the reason it spread throughout the world was from these wines and a handful of other top Medoc producers.