• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer beer

tommy

Some of the Belgian wit beers are good, but they only export the dead versions.

A good lambic is perfect in the summer (nice and sour), but you can only find those in and around Brussels.

We can get most Belgian Wits here in the USA. Not just "Dead" ones:

Wittekerke, Troublette, Blanche de Bruges, Blanche de Bruxelles, ertvelds wit, Joseph Spelt, Florisgaarden.

There are also many US produced Wits that are bottle conditioned:

Allagash, Bells Oberon, Boulevard, Victory Whirlwind to name but a few

Gueuze is available all over the world. We can get Cantillon, Drei Fonteinen, Oude Beersel (even though they are no longer brewing). All good.

Girardin, Lindemans, Boon and Belle Vue are also available right here in Virginia.

Edited by theakston (log)

It's only 11:00am, so I am trying to resist opening a bottle of Anchor Summer Beer. More body than most weissbiers, but not as much as regular Anchor Steam.

Another vote also for Hoegaarden, although it seems a bit thin. Refreshing, though. And it goes nicely with steak tartare.

And a vote for Bud. Yes. Because it's cheaper than bottled water, and readily available in places with unknown water quality (or worse yet, Philadelphia :raz: ). Plus it has the delightful effect of flushing one's system.

Could I be so bold as to suggest that British adolescent favorite: a shandy?  Depending on how hot it is: pour one-half to two-thirds of a glass of good lager and top it off with 7-Up or Sprite.  I like my stouts & bitters as much as the next guy but when it's 100+ degrees, you need a break.

By all means. I like shandies with lemonade or 7up.

I'll even 'fess up to liking lager with a shot of Rose's Lime in the summer.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

A good lambic is perfect in the summer (nice and sour), but you can only find those in and around Brussels.

Wittekerke, Troublette, Blanche de Bruges, Blanche de Bruxelles, ertvelds wit, Joseph Spelt, Florisgaarden.

Gueuze is available all over the world. We can get Cantillon, Drei Fonteinen, Oude Beersel (even though they are no longer brewing). All good.

Girardin, Lindemans, Boon and Belle Vue are also available right here in Virginia.

Where? I've never seen any of those beers in a bar in the US in my life.

Must have missed a few as I reeled from the statement that Labatts was good beer.

Where? I've never seen any of those beers in a bar in the US in my life.

Must have missed a few as I reeled from the statement that Labatts was good beer.

I can get nearly all of that list at the wholefoods supermaket in Virginia.

As far as bars go that depends on where you are.

In the DC area you can get a several to most of these at RFD, Brickskeller, the new Belgian place in Adams Morgan (name escapes me) or the Belgian Resto in Occoquan.

Baltimore has the brewers art and Max's on Broadway.

Philadelphia has Monks where you can probably get them all. Plus Eulogy Bar, Standard Tap and Abbaye.

New York has several Belgian Restos (Markt, Cafe de Bruxelles) plus bars such as Blind tiger, Gingerman, DBA, Mugs and Waterfront Alehouse that would have quite a few.

No excuse for drinking dead beer anymore! :biggrin:

• 9 months later...

My personal favourite summer beers are Watou Wit, it's great on a hot summers day, or Caledonian Deuchars IPA, an IPA with a great taste which isn't too strong so it's also a great session beer

Unibroue Blanche de Chambly

Unibroue Ephemere <--*awesome*

these are tailor made for summer drinking.

Dear God,

Please don't let Sleeman take these away from me.

Amen.

(and I see there's a black currant Ephemere which I've not sampled yet...)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Strawberries, cherries, and an angel's kiss in spring.

My summer beer is really made from all these things.

Take off your silver spurs and help me pass the cheer,

And I will give to you, summer beer.

Ohh-oh-oh, summer beer.

Strawberries, cherries, and an angel's kiss in spring.

My summer beer is really made from all these things.

Take off your silver spurs and help me pass the cheer,

And I will give to you, summer beer.

Ohh-oh-oh, summer beer.

......okay :rolleyes:

Born Free, Now Expensive

My favorite summer beers (some of which you may get to sample on your visit to Philly, Mal):

Flying Fish Farmhouse

Yards Saison

Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock

Yuengling Light

Sierra Nevada Summerfest

Saranac Golden Pilsner

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

A great summer beer that I just sampled for the first time is Samuel Adams Summer Beer. A great spice mix. Light and refreshing like a good warm weather beer should be. Similar in style to a Belgian Wit.

John the hot dog guy

I recently tried Blue Paddle by New Belgium Brewing, and I think it may be my main beer for the summer. I'm ordinarily not a big pilsner fan, but this is great.

My favorite summer beers (some of which you may get to sample on your visit to Philly, Mal):

Flying Fish Farmhouse

Yards Saison

Gordon Biersch Blonde Bock

Yuengling Light

Sierra Nevada Summerfest

Saranac Golden Pilsner

What?? No Whirlwind Wit???

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.