• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summer beer

tommy

I am using quart bottles (all beer should be bottled by the quart!) and it takes roughly an hour to get enough bottles clean for one kit of beer.

Why? Wouldn't this larger bottling quantity affect the carbonation?

i'm not sure that it would. do you have any thoughts on why it might?

i have to say that cleaning the bottles is the biggest hassle of homebrewing. quart bottles are a great idea, assuming it doesn't mess with the carbonation.

It is threads like this that make me proud to be Canadian....

Lets face it. You might as well drink water if you are going to drink American or Mexican beer.

Yes. And yes.

I grew up on Molson Ex. This is a completely mainstream beer, like say, Bud. But...whassup? It actually has some taste and body. (call it skunky or funky if you like. I call it tasty.)

Jason: For that remark, the RCMP will be storming New Jersey quickerthanthis. If they find a case of Blue in the fridge, you might get a mere slap on the wrist.

Edited by maggiethecat (log)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

No. As long as you mix in the right ratio of sugar/malt/whatever to beer, you're o.k. The size of the container doesn't matter -- remember, you're supposed to get as much air out of the top as possible. As Tommy points out, the less bottles you have to clean and fill, the quicker you'll brew your next batch.

Fowke -- Oatmeal stout in the summer?

Edited by Stone (log)

Followed by shots of Lairds Vodka, from Americas oldest continuously operating distillery...

I had no idea they made vodka, I have their Apple Jack. Lairds is in Jersey, BTW.

Yeah, the Lairds distillery is about 2 miles from my house in "Scobeyville." They do all sorts of basically cheap vodka, gin and rum, pretty much all just neutral grain spirits mixed with flavorings and water like 99% of the rest of commercial spirits in the US.

The only original products are the Applejack and Apple Brandy. It's always interesting being in any bar in the country and seeing that bottle of applejack produced so close to my home, then realizing it's likely the same bottle they opened the establishment with... :hmmm::laugh:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Summer Lightning from Hopback Brewery.

Deceptively easy to drink when you get going though... watch out!  Judging by comments on web sites it's available outside the UK in bottles.

I agree here - Lovely summer day session pint (Deceptively strong though!)

Looking at the website they appear to have a new summer Ale out 'Halcyon Days'. Not seen it anywhere yet though.

But then again I normally drink Cider when it is sunny!

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I am using quart bottles (all beer should be bottled by the quart!) and it takes roughly an hour to get enough bottles clean for one kit of beer.

i'm not sure that it would. do you have any thoughts on why it might?

i have to say that cleaning the bottles is the biggest hassle of homebrewing. quart bottles are a great idea, assuming it doesn't mess with the carbonation.

Yeah, thinking it through, I guess it wouldn't affect it...but I'm a stickler for carbonation, and won't even buy 64oz bottles of diet coke..I need the fizz from the can each time...and I encourage my husband to buy the Corona nips whenever possible, it just seems colder and fresher..yesterday we set up the galvanized tub with ice and corona nips, a ziploc full of lemon and lime wedges, add some Snyder's hard pretzels, and a stack of Sunday papers, and after an hour we didn't feel too bad that it seems like the entire world is at the beach but us!

nd I encourage my husband to buy the Corona nips whenever possible,

so *you're* the one buying those.

i assume you don't buy 64 oz bottles of soda because they lose their fizz after you open them, rather than in the bottle? :blink: which isn't really the same thing as buying smaller bottles of beer, as you'll most likely finish a beer in one sitting.

Summer AND Beer:

Sierra Nevada Summerfest: Crisp, slightly fizzy, with a refreshing lightly nutty finish

Victory Prima Pils: The classic pilsner, crisp, with a good hop bite

Brooklyn Brooklynerweisse: Maybe thye best American-made German=style wheat beer, a perfect Summer quencher

Dogfish Head Aprihop: A whopping glass of sweet hop goodness, with a sneaky apricot finish that is both subtle and clever.

My current faves this summer, and I'm sure I'll find a few more.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

I had some Bass shandy this weekend. Comes in a blue can. That's pretty summer-appropriate.

What's a good summer brew if you don't like hops? Slowly and with great difficulty developing a taste for beer. For practical reasons -- can't always find cider, even now. Newcastle Brown is the most bearable thing I've found but it's a bit heavy for this weather.

which isn't really the same thing as buying smaller bottles of beer, as you'll most likely finish a beer in one sitting.

But following that train of thought, it 's going to take a while to dring a quart of beer..say 60-90 minutes. Won't the beer become warm,a nd loose its fizz? I'm just guessing here, I have absolutely no knowledge of carbonation..I will admit that the "fizz" when you open up a bottle creates a Pavlovian response in me, and perhaps is why I'm advocating the smaller bottles. :laugh:

But following that train of thought, it 's going to take a while to dring a quart of beer..say 60-90 minutes.  Won't the beer become warm,a nd loose its fizz

Well if there are two of you then share the quart - just under a pint each (if my calculations are right). Should take you under 3.9 seconds if you want to be a record holder :wink:

Had some friends over for dinner last weekend and he brought several Pinkus Pilsners and several Pinkus Hefe's. Absolutely no interest in the Hefe Weisen, but the Pilsner was totally outstanding. My beer store does not carry it, but even my wife is begging me to find a place to get a case. A really enjoyable summer brew.

Sierra Nevada always has a home in the frig here too.

Every last beer listed above is dead, and the vast majority are tasteless lagers produced by multinationals. Pathetic. It's the equivalent of saying that the ultimate in barbeque is the McRib. And this includes the piss-water known as Molson and Labatts. The Canadians do make some good beer, but their major brewers suck.

Some of the Belgian wit beers are good, but they only export the dead versions. A good lambic is perfect in the summer (nice and sour), but you can only find those in and around Brussels.

The best summer brew in my opinion is Fuller's Summer Ale. Made with the same hops that go into Czech lager, the beer has the taste notes of a great pilsner, but the depth of flavor that only a real ale can deliver. Available now in all Fuller's pubs.

I second the recommendation for Victory Prima Pils. I wouldn't call it a classic pilsner, because of the higher hopping, but if you are a hophead, this is truly a beautiful beer if you can get it fresh.

Could I be so bold as to suggest that British adolescent favorite: a shandy? Depending on how hot it is: pour one-half to two-thirds of a glass of good lager and top it off with 7-Up or Sprite. I like my stouts & bitters as much as the next guy but when it's 100+ degrees, you need a break.

If you're looking for something a little more manly, make it ale instead of lager and make the proportions 7/8 - 1/8. (Otherwise known as a "Top", as in "Lager Top" or "Bitter Top".)

Either way, it's very refreshing. No matter what you do, do NOT use Bud, Rock, Corona, or anything else that closely resembles water when unadulterated. It has to be good beer to make a good shandy or top.