• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aberlour a'bunadh

davidbdesilva

Recently purchased this single malt Scotch whisky and it is quite good. Having really enjoyed other whiskies from Aberlour (10 yr. old, 15 yr. old sherry wood finsh), I decided to try this (expensive) single malt, which is matured in Spanish oak Oloroso butts. The nose is slightly smoky with red apples and sherry character, the taste intense, buttery and creamy with good sweetness, and the finish long , mellow and slightly peaty. Being 60% abv (120 proof), this is not for the faint-hearted. :shock: I had a dram of this today with a strong cigar (Oliva "O" maduro) and it was quite the intense experience! In a neat "apothecary bottle (reminiscent of the village chemist), I would recommend this whisky to seasoned drinkers who enjoy full-bodied single malts that have tons of character and depth. :wacko:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."