• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Herbs

malcolmjolley

Even though I know better - I added a fair amount of minced fresh lovage to turkey meatballs last night, after I realized I had pulled up my parsley plants a week ago. Decidedly "celeryish", too strong a flavor to mess with like that. Happily, the fresh frozen tomato sauce from late last fall almost masked the flavor.

Herbal oils, of course. Poach herbs in good EVOO, strain, cool. \

Battered and deep-fried.

Sorrel makes a great wrap for grilled fish or tofu.

I'll sometimes use oregano almost as a salad green.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Having plenty in the garden right now, I too am trying to use them in as many ways as possible.

Thursday I made a rosemary oil/paste to marinate chicken... very tasty.

Earlier in the week I made an oregano pesto to toss with pasta.

I'm looking forward to more fresh ideas in this thread: thanks for starting it, malcomjolley. BTW, your mint and pea combination reminds me of one of my favourites: mushy peas!

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I'll sometimes use oregano almost as a salad green.

the 'rigani' (Greek oregano) we're container-growing this year seems waay too pungent to use fresh; it's almost medicinal in its taste and strength. i am told it's one of the few herbs better dried than fresh?! :blink:

nice thread, malcolmjolley! :smile:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Deep fried: sage leaves, parsley, tempura of any eatable herb

Foams: mint, parsley etc. Make a tisane, add some gelatin or cream and foam.

Lovage, especially in soups

Sorbets (Woodruff is my current favourite. Grows like a weed as well)

mint, basil, olive oil, tomatoes, garlic?

The only addition to those ingredients was fresh, grated parmesan cheese, which was mixed in with the tomatoe mixture, with extra to sprinkle on top. The cheese added a nice creaminess to the sauce.

KathyM

In past summers I've made an herbal syrup out of 1.25 cups Mint leaves, .5 cup each cilantro and basil leaves. Place in blender and cover with still hot, just made simple syrup (about 2.5 cups or two to one volume-wise with the greenery). When it cools, whirl it up until the herbs are finely chopped and the syrup is a light green, fragrant elixir. A few tablespoons of this in a highball glass with some good bourbon and topped with lemonade or bitter lemon soda is quite refreshing. I'm certain other cocktails would benefit as well, I just never got past the first recipe since I like it so much :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

the 'rigani' (Greek oregano) we're container-growing this year seems waay too pungent to use fresh; it's almost medicinal in its taste and strength. i am told it's one of the few herbs better dried than fresh?!  :blink:

I didn't realize that "Greek" oregano was a different plant. My understanding was that it was the flowers, not the leaves that were used. That seems to be true if you've seen Greek oregano packaged. It looks like little dried yellow blossoms, more suited to a potpourri or a dried flower wreath than the spice rack. But I could be wrong. Anyone else here know the answer? Any Greek chefs out there??? :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Lovage, especially in soups

I adore lovage - but why is it so hard to find? Any place in NY where I can get it?

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

the 'rigani' (Greek oregano) we're container-growing this year seems waay too pungent to use fresh; it's almost medicinal in its taste and strength. i am told it's one of the few herbs better dried than fresh?!  :blink:

I didn't realize that "Greek" oregano was a different plant. My understanding was that it was the flowers, not the leaves that were used. That seems to be true if you've seen Greek oregano packaged. It looks like little dried yellow blossoms, more suited to a potpourri or a dried flower wreath than the spice rack. But I could be wrong. Anyone else here know the answer? Any Greek chefs out there??? :smile:

I grow both Greek and Italian oregano in my garden, they were sold as seperate plants and they look a little (not much) different and there is a slight taste difference. The Greek is "stronger" but not overwhelming so.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

To make things more confusing, oregano-wise, there is also a Mexican oregano that is very important in Mexican cooking. It is TOTALLY different and you really can't substitute.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

To make things more confusing, oregano-wise, there is also a Mexican oregano that is very important in Mexican cooking. It is TOTALLY different and you really can't substitute.

Are you referring to Bee Balm? Bunch of other names as well. Really a different plant than Greek or Italian oregano - have all 3 at home!

I think bee balm is diffrent, Monarda didyma. Mexican oregano is Lipia graveolens according to one site that I googled and seemed to be somewhat authorotative. Some of the other sites that came up used different names so I am somewhat dubious.

This one seems right... http://www.davidscooking.com/ingredients/m...mexoregano.html

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here's an idea... Buy a lamb and feed it up. Bet that little sucker would taste good. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"