• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Little Towns

In Los Angeles, we have Koreatown, Little Tokyo, China Town, Thai Town, Filipinotown, Little Armenia, the Byzantine-Latino Quarter, etc. Are there foreign cities that have Little Americas? I've never heard of one. What's the deal?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

And in Salt Lake City (strange country to many eG members) there

is another Little America just outside the main  downtown area.  One of the

best hotels in town.

colestove

There are quite a few more Little America Hotels, including in Cheyenne, Flagstaff, Arizona, south of Austin.

Little America, Wyoming is actually the name of the town itself. (I think it was the site of the first of their hotels (opened in the 1930's), but I'm not sure about that.)

Not that I know of in Japan. We have China towns, Korea towns and even Spanish, German and Dutch towns (OK these last 3 are actually theme parks :blink: )

What about Main street at Disneyland?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Exactly, all I could think of was Disneyland (World?) and EuroDisney.

Tokyo Disneyland has a main street too!

Isn't having Mc Donalds, KFC, Starbucks, etc in many countries outside the US essentially what you were thinking about?

Or perhaps you're looking for some little Mom & Pop grocery and deli selling US stuff overseas?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Yes, I think they've all got Main Street USA. Somehow it seems a little different than going to a China Town, etc. Do they serve American food or native cuisine in Tokyo Disneyland?

Isn't having Mc Donalds, KFC, Starbucks, etc in many countries outside the US essentially what you were thinking about?

Or perhaps you're looking for some little Mom & Pop grocery and deli selling US stuff overseas?

I was thinking about a cluster area where expats live and American food is available.

Yes, I think they've all got Main Street USA. Somehow it seems a little different than going to a China Town, etc. Do they serve American food or native cuisine in Tokyo Disneyland?

both.

I would think that the areas around military bases might be close. Some of the accounts of Germany and S. Korea fit in a general sense.

Living hard will take its toll...

I would think that the areas around military bases might be close. Some of the accounts of Germany and S. Korea fit in a general sense.

Good point. Do you think that natives of foreign countries want to visit the areas around our bases the way we like to visit Little Tokyo, etc.?

Good point. Do you think that natives of foreign countries want to visit the areas around our bases the way we like to visit Little Tokyo, etc.?

I can only speak about the areas I have mentioned. I do have some friends in Germany I could ask. We could at least find out about there.

Living hard will take its toll...

I think there's a Little America in Beirut or one of the other middle eastern cities, maybe in Riyadh. I saw something about that on T.V., but supposedly its a ghost town now as most of the businesses have shut down.

Tel Aviv, for all practical purposes, is a microcosm of American culture, from the Jewish perspective.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

And in Salt Lake City (strange country to many eG members) there

is another Little America just outside the main  downtown area.  One of the

best hotels in town.

colestove

There are quite a few more Little America Hotels, including in Cheyenne, Flagstaff, Arizona, south of Austin.

Little America, Wyoming is actually the name of the town itself. (I think it was the site of the first of their hotels (opened in the 1930's), but I'm not sure about that.)

The Little America hotel in Little America, Wyoming is indeed their first US location. Little America is just outside green River WY, on the Union Pacific's overland train route. Cheyenne was the second site, and is also on the UP, as is Salt Lake City.

The hotel's name was drawn from the pioneering scientific site at the South Pole, established about 1932, when the South Pole was as remote as Mars is today. A small team of American scientists produced exceptional research in an exceptionally harsh climate. Scientists in the 1930s had the same public adulation as rock stars enjoy in the current era.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Every McDonald's everywhere.

Of course, their numbers are increasingly shrinking, even in America.

In Ottawa, the U.S. embassy used to face directly onto the main block of the Parliament buildings, sporting sporty Marines in dress with big guns who never waved back to me.

They've since relocated to a newly constructed fortress that looms over the Byward Market and has a direct line of fire over the canal towards the entire Parliamentary complex. It is visible from about fifteen blocks away coming down York Street from King Edward, I think it was. I was agog and properly so, I suppose, the first time I saw it. The central tower looks like a missile silo with a little cap that mocks or at least refers to the old National Library tower at the back of Parliament. There are a series of concrete barriers to prevent carbombs from hurtling into it. The Marines are not visibly out front.

KFCs seem to be doing dashing business.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I used to live in Utah (at Flaming Gorge NRA, Manila, to be precise.) 

It is not a foreign country.

It is a whole other planet.

Sounds like another section for Disneyland, possibly adjacent to Fantasyland.