• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angela Hartnett's Terrace

Angela Hartnett's Terrace is now open for business at the Connaught Hotel. Seating 35, the terrace has been constructed on the corner of Mount Street and Carlos place. The menu draws on Mediterranean influences, as you will see by clicking here. Its open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week, so what with the lovely weather and everything, you've got no excuse not to go really.

(Info courtesy of Sauce Communications)

i'd be interested to hear what people think. i wrote a longish post about my last meal here and i don't think i'd go back unless everyone got very excited :-)

although, we did go on the hottest day of the year and we were indoors so that spoiled everything. they even had screens on the windows to let less light in.

why are there so few nice places to eat outside in london?

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

From the sound of the menu, with its burgers and potted shrimps etc, it sounds like a very different ball game from the restaurant and grill room. It will also be served by it's own dedicated kitchen.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone catch Circeplum's 2 stars out of 5 review in Metro today? I assume she has now taken on a full time body guard and gone into hiding as I'm sure that it won't be long before Ramsay issues the fatwa after he reads it.

• 2 weeks later...
no fatwa, but i did receive a letter - which the paper dutifully printed this morning  :rolleyes: - suggesting that the reason i write with 'vitriol' is because i'm 'a bit of a moose looks-wise'.

So at least that proves it was written by someone who has never seen you :wink:

I can't understand the logic of comments like that (nor why your paper would print it). Incidentally, I can't get a copy of Metro so I haven't seen the review or the letter

If a reviewer pans a restaurant, it's perfectly valid for someone to say they're wrong, and give reasons to counter the criticism. For example "Plum's comment that the foie gras was not hot enough is foolish because it is supposed to be served warm" or "I disagree with Plum's description of the decor as tawdry. I found it very pleasant" or "Plum says the service was poor, but I have been twice and found the service excellent". But to criticise a review by assigning some perceived but unproven motivation to the reviewer, or simply presenting a personal insult to the reviewer, seems to me entirely idiotic.

Edited by macrosan (log)

So at least that proves it was written by someone who has never seen you  :wink:

thanks, martin :wub:

and i agree with the rest of your post, too :wink: think the writer simply came across as a complete tube (glaswegian mild invective).

made me laugh, though...

m

from one 'alfred duckham' whom we did an electoral roll search on and who - suprise! - doesn't seem to exist!  we have our suspicions ...

There was an Alfred Duckham who owned a butcher's shop in Malpas Street, Newport in the early 1900s. Maybe it was he ..... :cool:

from one 'alfred duckham' whom we did an electoral roll search on and who - suprise! - doesn't seem to exist!  we have our suspicions ...

There was an Alfred Duckham who owned a butcher's shop in Malpas Street, Newport in the early 1900s. Maybe it was he ..... :cool:

christ! i'm being dissed by spectres...

I laughed out loud on the train this morning, the other passengers must have thought I was a nutter :wacko: (don't go there anyone!)

I suppose it proves that their PR company leaves no stone unturned.

The other letter was nice though Circe, suggesting that you join the food writers guild.