• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in Paris in August?

magnolia

If you take a look HERE you will find a few threads about what is and isn't open in August. Many places close for a few weeks in August, but you won't starve :smile:

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

If you take a look HERE you will find a few threads about what is and isn't open in August.  Many places close for a few weeks in August, but you won't starve  :smile:

Host's note

As Felice pointed out, there's a lot that been written on this subject, so I've merged most threads on openings/closings.

As John Whiting pointed out, however, much upthread, double check; often new places stay open in August to boost their clientele but with the passing of time close.

That said, all the 2007 posts should reflect accurate information.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 11 months later...

I found an article online that covers a big list of restaurants, the dates of summer 2008 opening time. (or vacation time)

Here is the article

Hope it's useful for those who want to visit.

It seems one needs to sign up the site to read the page. Though I just found the page on Google and can access it without a membership.

(Source: Indagare.com, the original article has URLs for the restaurants websites)

Summer Standbys

Allard. Open all month.

Brasserie Lipp. Open all month.

Café Flore. Open all month.

Fauchon Le Café, a glamorous new cafe on the first floor of France’s most famous food hall, is open all month.

Gaya Rive Gauche. Open all month.

L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon. Open all month.

Le Cinq. One of the few three-Michelin-starred restaurants that remains open all month.

Le Comptoir du Relais. Open all month.

La Fontaine de Mars. Open all month.

Le Jules Verne. The only Ducasse outpost that remains open in August.

Pur’Grill. Another three-starred-Michelin restaurant that is open all month.

Restaurant Hélène Darroze. This two-star Michelin remains open all month.

Café Marly, in the courtyard of the Louvre, is open all year.

Venerable tea room Angelina is open in August.

Bonpoint Café , a great casual lunch or tea option, stays open all month.

The chic restaurant at the Hotel Costes is open and a good spot for lunch.

Delicabar. Open all month

Le Castiglione, a charming family-run cafe near the Hôtel Costes, is open all month.

Summer Maybes

Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée. Closed July 22 to August 27, but his restaurant in the Eiffel Tower, Le Jules Verne, remains open.

Alain Senderens. Closed August 3-27.

L’Ambroisie. Closed August 2 to September 2. Only open for lunch on August 1 and 2.

L’Avenue. Will probably close for two weeks (dates to be determined).

Caviar Kaspia. Closed August 2-18.

Dominique Bouchet. Closed August 2-25.

Le Grand Vefour. Closed July 28-August 25.

Guy Savoy. Closed August 3-27.

Il Cortile. Closed July 23-August 24.

La Cigale Récamier. Closes August 15th to end of the month.

Le Soufflé. Closed August 3-24.

Pavillon Ledoyen. Closed August 4 to end of the month.

L’Orangerie. Closed August 4 to 24.

Pierre Gagnaire. Closed July 26-August 24.

Les Bouquinistes. Closed from August 3-25.

Le Ferrandaise. Closed August 3 to 24.

Aux Lyonnais. Closed July 27-August 24.

Fish La Boisonnerie. Closed August 2-23.

L’Ami Jean. Closed July 26-August 26.

Shuttered in August

Astrance. Closed for the month.

Benoit. Closed for the month.

Chez Georges. Closed for the month.

L’Ami Louis. Closed for the month.

Le Meurice. Closed for the month.

Le Relais Plaza. Closed for the month.

Les Ambassadeurs. Closed for the month.

Le Violin d’Ingres. Closed for the month.

Le Voltaire. Closed for the month.

Taillevent. Closed for the month.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone happen to know if patisserie Arnaud Larher will be open this weekend (August 2)?

I emailed, tried calling but no answer, I guess that probably means they're closed, but, I'd love to know for sure. Also, the website says that his stuff is also sold at the Galeries Lafayette. Does this include macarons... and, does it even apply when his own store is closed??

Sorry. BE is Ducasse's and Kayser's bakery. It has some great breads, sandwiches, courses. The main shop is bd de Courcelles, closed during the holidays, but they have a branch inside the department store Le Printemps which will remain open all month.

By the way, I started my own list of foodie adresses in Paris in August and everyone is welcome to contribute: http://www.julotlespinceaux.com/2008/07/pa...vertheless.html

• 10 months later...

Today's Scope had an article on places open "during the vacation" that included:

Chalet de l'Oasis

Au Pere Lapin

Gordon Ramsay

Le 51

Le Saut du Loup

Rosa Bonheur

La Fontaine de Mars

Cafe Constant

Zinc Caius

Pere Claude

Maree Passy

Les Delices d'Aphrodite

Ratn

Zyriab

Madame Shawn

Les Cailloux

Cru

Glou

La bar terrasse de La Gare

Cantine Merci

La Terrasse BBQ du Mama Shelter

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I will be visiting Paris arriving 20th Aug (Thursday am departing Saturday pm). As you can imagine I am keen to pack in as much as possible and was wondering, bearing in mind the summer closures what would be the best options for

1: Gastronomic lunch (I am inclined towards la table Joel Robouchon because of the low cost / but are there other options offering better overall value)

2: A nice old style bistro or place with outside seating for a laid back dinner.

3: An interesting gastro bistro / 1* place for dinner on Friday.

Finally I shall be staying in Sofitel la defense so any tips for the locale gladly received.

Thanks

Martin

Martin

Tips for the locale?

There is no locale...

Hello all,

I will be visiting Paris arriving 20th Aug (Thursday am departing Saturday pm).  As you can imagine I am keen to pack in as much as possible and was wondering, bearing in mind the summer closures what would be the best options for

1: Gastronomic lunch (I am inclined towards la table Joel Robouchon because of the low cost / but are there other options offering better overall value)

2:  A nice old style bistro or place with outside seating for a laid back dinner.

3:  An interesting gastro bistro / 1* place for dinner on Friday.

Finally I shall be staying in Sofitel la defense so any tips for the locale gladly received. 

Thanks

Martin

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog