• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobel's Online Store

melkor

well, my steaks just showed up. little bit put off on the amount of blood that escaped from the cryo-vac packages of meat.

I imagine many of us who got in on the coupon deal last week will be enjoying steak tonight or tomorrow!

So, as I said earlier, I bought 2 hanger steaks, mostly from what has been mentioned here on egullet in the past. But a search of past messages doesn't really give me any ideas on how best to serve the steak.

Grilling, unfortunately, is out for me. Should I treat the steaks the same as another? (Hot cast iron, flip after 4 minutes, then into a medium oven?) Or is there a better way to treat these steaks?

Steven, how do you explain the differences in quality of the steaks at Smith & Wollensky?

Steak is by definition inconsistent. The best you can do is minimize that inconsistency by purchasing at the top of the market, maintaining relationships with suppliers, and having a keen eye and deep knowledge of the product. The farther you get from purchasing at that level, the more inconsistency you'll have. Even at Peter Luger or Lobel's, there are major variations from steak-to-steak, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

well, my steaks just showed up. little bit put off on the amount of blood that escaped from the cryo-vac packages of meat.

The best thing to do is refrigerate the steaks in their packages until about an hour before you're going to use them. Then, let them rest on the counter until they come up to room temperature. At that point, remove them from the plastic as carefully as possible.

Hanger steak is going to give off a lot of blood no matter what, but I've found that steaks handled in the manner above give off less than if you just rip off the packaging right away.

Hanger steak should be eaten as rare as you can stand it. Because it's so thin, a quick sear on each side is all you should really consider. If you cook it beyond medium-rare, it won't be good.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't think FedEx charges by distance within the continental US. Priority overnight with a lot of ice packs is just expensive.

Fedex ships everything through Memphis (they may use one other airport too). Don't stay at an airport hotel in Memphis like I did.

Did you take a picture?

The hanger steak I had a few weeks ago was excellent, as everything frol Lobel's always is, but IMO the thing is this: What you're paying for at Lobel's is the best, and you're paying a huge marginal tariff. As a result, the best ordering strategy is to focus on the cuts that offer the largest marginal difference between them and the next best thing. Those are primarily going to be the steakhouse cuts from the short-loin sub-primal: filet mignon (tenderloin), New York strip (striploin), and porterhouse (a cross-section of both). The rib I had from Lobel's, for example, was terrific, but I could have gotten almost-as-good a rib for a lot less money by picking one carefully at another butcher shop. The rib already has a lot of fat, so the improved marbling you see in the short-loin cuts doesn't have as much impact in the rib section. Indeed, the best strategy at a second-tier steakhouse is to order the rib precisely because good ribs are easier to come by.

+++

In other news. Since this has come up several times now (I've removed a few posts already), let me just say: If anybody has a scheme to double-up on this offer, please, do us a favor and keep it off the boards. We need to be able to accommodate consumer, industry, amateur, and professional users here. If you think Lobel's steak sucks, say so -- criticism is always fair game. But we'd like to draw the line at bending the rules. Thanks.

See, I never think to snap a pic. I'm too busy getting out the knife and fork...

I ordered the hanger steak because I've never, ever seen one at the places where I buy meat. And while I thought the steaks were great, I sort of figured that a dog biscuit from Loebels had darned well better taste orgasmic, considering the prices they charge.

And I'll ixnay on the orescray of another ouponcay. :wink:

tommy,

I'll have the one on the left-hand side. Medium-rare please, with a nice bit of char on the outside. You can choose the sides. :biggrin:.

Seriously, those steaks look fabulous. I'm considering placing an order when I get back from vacation at the end of next week.

bushey

i can't help but notice that one of my steaks looks different than the others.  :unsure:

The one on the right is the "loser steak" they include in every box. Forgot to tell you about that.

We ate our strips last night - grilled and very rare. They were exquisitely memorable. Unfortunately I cannot see myself paying Lobel's prices on a regular basis, but it will be some time before I have the courage to try a steak from my regular butcher (Florence) again although I always found their meat very good.

Ruth Friedman

We had two 8oz. Wagyu sirloins last night. I bought this cut because it is what I make most often at home. There wasn't very much marbling. I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the taste. It was good, but the $7.99/lb prime sirloin I get in Chicago was better.

I don't think FedEx charges by distance within the continental US. Priority overnight with a lot of ice packs is just expensive.

Fedex ships everything through Memphis (they may use one other airport too).

I did notice on the FedEx tracking website that my steaks are coming from New York to Maryland by way of Memphis.

I also noticed that the origin was Rochester, NY. Is this an additional location? I thought it was a NYC butcher... :huh:

I'm your only friend

I'm not your only friend

But I'm a little glowing friend

But really I'm not actually your friend

But I am

The one on the right has been exposed to oxygen. The other ones will turn red as soon as you open them.

i don't know if i should feel better about it. :unsure:

Just eat the damn things.

And, be sure to tell us if you get ill. :laugh:

any more reports on these steak dinners?

also, should i trim the fat from my strip?  i generally like a nicely trimmed steak, but will leave it on if it helps.

Trim it *after* you cook it.

Nicely trimmed before is, uh, well, that's a different subject.

also, should i trim the fat from my strip?

Yes, when you eat the steak, if you don't like to eat the fat. But you should cook the steak with the fat on because the fat serves a basting function of sorts.

the best ordering strategy is to focus on the cuts that offer the largest marginal difference between them and the next best thing. Those are primarily going to be the steakhouse cuts from the short-loin sub-primal: filet mignon (tenderloin), New York strip (striploin), and porterhouse (a cross-section of both). The rib I had from Lobel's, for example, was terrific, but I could have gotten almost-as-good a rib for a lot less money by picking one carefully at another butcher shop. The rib already has a lot of fat, so the improved marbling you see in the short-loin cuts doesn't have as much impact in the rib section. Indeed, the best strategy at a second-tier steakhouse is to order the rib precisely because good ribs are easier to come by.

This is great advice.....I just wish I had it before I placed my order :biggrin:

My husband and I shared a 16 ounce bone in rib steak for dinner last night. Brought it to room temperature, salt and peppered it, then grilled it on high heat to get a nice sear on both sides. Lowered the heat source and cooked it until it was on the rare side of medium rare. I would have to say that this was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. The flavor and texture was fabulous. But, at $52.93, not something I will be able to enjoy regularly. I now know what I am going to ask all my friends from NY to bring me when they come visit though!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

any more reports on these steak dinners?

also, should i trim the fat from my strip?  i generally like a nicely trimmed steak, but will leave it on if it helps.

I'll take the middle steak. Personally I love the fat on the lobel steaks. Just be sure to make several slits in the fat, almost to the meat, this will prevent the steak from curling when cooking. At the retail location they will do this for you.

I prefer buying from their retail shop rather than their mail order as I can pick my steak personally (at these prices I like to see what I'm getting). I don't get into the city as much as I like though and have used their mail order a few times. I always put in the comments section from the ordering page to pick me out steaks with a lot of extra fat on the outside or a porterhouse with fullest size filet they have (I like the strip, wife likes the filet, so this works out perfect for us). They seem to listen to the comments and have never been disappointed with an order.

They are extremely friendly at the retail location. When I buy a porterhouse they will pull out all they have and let me pick one out. Their porterhouse has the largest filets I have seen from a butcher shop. Of course thats what a porterhouse is supposed to be but isn't always the case at other shops. If I don't see a strip I like (they have them on several sheet pans already cut underneath the counter) they are always willing to cut me one. I love going to the shop and talking with all of them, they are extremely helpful.

I buy the 16oz strips and large 36oz porterhouses. Preferred cooking method is cast iron pan on grill (could do this inside but our oven vent cant handle the smoke produced using this method). After the pan is nice-n-smoking, throw the room temperature steaks on until nice crust on both sides. Then put the steak on a rack over the pan and close the lid until nice and MR. Wish I were rich so I could do this all the time although Tommy is my friend.....maybe he will buy me some lobel steak?

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

I also took advantage of the Lobels offer. Many thanks to mamster, the PNWers, melkor and tommy, FG, for either turning me onto this or helping me to prepare it properly. I was glad to read that the other strip steaks came with a thin strip of fat and what to do about it so that I knew it wasnt just mine!

My boneless 12 oz. Lobel NY strip steak was the best steak I think I have ever eaten in my life (for $1.63 incl shipping to Seattle). I grilled it to what I thought would be MR, but because the steak was so thick it actually turned out rare inside. But it was a blessing in disguise as rare was absolutely perfect for both my hubby and myself. We both declared it the best darn steak we've ever eaten. I'm hooked. This is the good life.

I also took pictures before and after grilling and will try to post.

I also took pictures before and after grilling and will try to post.

that would be awesome blue. i was so wrapped up in cooking these things just right, i couldn't be bothered with a camera. my 10 oz strips turned out perfectly r-m/r. i grilled them. they could have used a *bit* more crust, but the grill just can't do that in 2 minutes on each side.

good stuff.