• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobel's Online Store

melkor

Morrell (the wine shop) seems to be running a program with lobels where they send you occational spam and in exchange they give you a $50 gift certificate at lobels to use in their online shop. It's still brutally expensive (I got 2lbs of short ribs with my $50 and it only cost me an extra $12.98). It's worth checking out - the link to the sign up page is

here.

edit: it seems you need to use this link and click the lobels offer at the bottom of the page for this to work.

Edited by melkor (log)

Lobel's prices are insane, outrageous, the highest imaginable. And the quality of product is insane, outrageous, the highest imaginable. Lobel's is the only butcher shop I know of where you can get a steak as good as a Peter Luger steak. And it will cost you as much (maybe more) as it would cost to go to Peter Luger and eat the steak there. Whether it's worth it to you depends on how much money you have and how much you value the improvement over the next best thing (which may cost half as much).

Lobel's is now selling Australian Wagyu as well as USDA Prime, and I plan to compare a New York Strip cut of each. I'll let you know what I learn. My suggestion, however, if you order from Lobels, is to stick with steaks and particularly the New York Strip or shell. This is the best cut in my opinion and benefits the most from being Lobel's-level Prime or Wagyu. Although all cuts from an excellent carcass will be excellent, the quality is going to be less apparent in, for example, the braising cuts.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Morrell (the wine shop) seems to be running a program with lobels where they send you occational spam and in exchange they give you a $50 gift certificate at lobels to use in their online shop.  It's still brutally expensive (I got 2lbs of short ribs with my $50 and it only cost me an extra $12.98).  It's worth checking out - the link to the sign up page is

here.

Short ribs of what? Snow leopard? :rolleyes:

sparrowgrass

I signed up and they never sent the confirmation e-mail.  Has anybody else tried this?

Ben

I never did anything with the e-mail they sent me, it took me to a page where you can click to start shopping and you start with a total of -$50. See if thats what you get when you look at the site.

I hesitate to ask this, but how do they know you are you? I mean, couldn't you create a bunch of Hotmail email addresses or Sneakemail forwarding addresses and take the $50 discount multiple times?

--

Most of these places compare the database entries by shipping address and credit card information.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steve, how is Lobels' lamb?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Most of these places compare the database entries by shipping address and credit card information. So if you want to get the discount multiple times, you have to find alternates for both. And if you're that determined, I'm sure the Lobels will happily give you the discount twice!

Free Steak can drive a man to desperate measures.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Woo hoo! It worked! I should be getting two boneless strip steaks (8 oz. each) for a grand total of $10.93. Is that a deal or what?! They're supposed to be delivered on the 22nd. Now, what is the absolute best way to cook these in a way that will show off their wondrousness?

The Lobels recommend grilling or broiling. That makes sense if you have a grill, or if you have a good strong broiler.

http://lobels.com/recipe/index.htm#grill

If not, a good alternate strategy is to pre-heat the oven to around 400-degrees F and get a cast-iron or other heavy skillet cranked up very hot for several minutes on the stovetop. Salt and pepper the steak and rub with a little vegetable oil, then sear in the pan for about a minute on each side, then stick it in the oven for maybe 7-8 minutes -- it really depends on a lot of factors, including desired level of doneness and the properties of your pan and oven. You either will want to test with a temperature probe or you'll want to have some confidence in your ability to ascertain doneness by touch.

With a larger, thicker steak I'd recommend a lower temperature, slower roast, but with the strips, which are not huge, you'll want to use one of the above methods.

Yeah, but I live about 10 blocks from the store

I wonder if they will let you pick up your order... $50 buys a lot more if you don't have to spend half of it on shipping.