• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: 1998 Rosemount Estates Cabernet Mudgee (?)

tjaehnigen

3/29/03

TJ Rating 86

(my notes are a little cryptic on the name of this so this is a guess)

Had this at the VC Rocks @Equinox event on 3/29/03.

Medium, to medium dark color. I got the sense of cherries jubilee -- why I thought this was California wine, I do not know but that is what was scribbled on my TN sheet. This wine was fairly 'thick' and, at first I could not sense this descriptior (cough syrup), but once I had some food with it, I could see it. Pretty nice finish to wrap things up.

Try the Ruthbery Estate Mudgee.

It will be interesting to compare.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

tj,

how was the '98 holding up? also, have you had the '99? i've got some of the '99 and '00 (6 btls of each) in my 'cellar', and have stayed away from them......at last taste, they were over-the-top tannic. i'm also not sure about vintage variances, but i'm just trying to get a sense for how the rosemont mudgee 'style' translates into drinkability.

thanks for any thoughts,

matt

ps: thanks for the tn's!

Not that I know a damn thing about wine, but back in the stone ages when I was dating a wine collector, he used to serve Rosement is great quantities whenever we have large parties because it really has a great taste for the price.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

bond girl,

the wine you're referring to is (probably) the 'basic' rosemont shiraz black label. i've enjoyed this wine for quite a while, but in the more recent vintages, i've not been as happy with it. one thing i WAS happy with was about 2 years ago, when i 'discovered' 6 bottles of '94 or '95 that i'd forgotten about in my 'cellar'. i opened one, thinking i was about to find out it was well past its prime, but instead, had a very lovely, very drinkable wine. don't know how much longer it'd have gone, but the 4 years or so didn't hurt it.

the wine i THINK tj's talking about is the 'one step up' mudgee ('hills of gold', i think?). whereas the regular black-label is about 8 bucks, this runs between 15 and 20. when i bought the '99, i enjoyed it, but the tannins were really strong, so i put it away.

matt

.......who also doesn't know a damn about wine, other than i like it!

edit: to my shame, i also realize now we're talking about the cab, not the shiraz. sorry......

Edited by hotle (log)