• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palena

You have an excellent boss. Will you tell him to call mine? Can't wait to hear about your dinner. Are you going to do the multi course in the back or the cafe in the front?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Run do not walk to Palena Café for the Roman bread and tomato soup, which is topped with a coddled (or poached?) egg and fried sage. Dip your soup into the perfectly cooked egg, and the creamy yolk slowly spreads through the bowl, blending with the diced tomatoes, small chunks of bread, and rich broth.

Other highlights from our dinner:

Boudin blanc, housemade with chicken and foie gras and pink turnips and apples, served in its own little pan. Heavenly.

Sweet corn raviolini with large chunks of tender, juicy crab in a light butter sauce - as good, if not better, than the last time we had it a couple of weeks ago, .

The cheese plate and the wine pairings with the meal and the cheese were excellent. I also tried my first Sidecar. I’m a pretty lightweight drinker, but I could get used to this cocktail. :cool: So, for others, like me, who can’t handle stronger drinks, like martinis, but would like to try something different, the Palena Sidecar is a good choice. The service was outstanding. Many thanks to Evan, our waiter, and to Derek - they were both friendly, professional and gracious on a very busy Friday night with all the tables in the cafe, inside and out, filled much of the evening.

Boudin blanc, housemade with chicken and foie gras and pink turnips and apples, served in its own little pan. Heavenly. 

The boudin blanc is spectacular. So so so tender.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Run do not walk to Palena Café for the Roman bread and tomato soup, which is topped with a coddled (or poached?) egg and fried sage. Dip your soup into the perfectly cooked egg, and the creamy yolk slowly spreads through the bowl, blending with the diced tomatoes, small chunks of bread, and rich broth.

I liiiiiike!!!

Ate at at the bar tonight accompanied by some other perpetrators. Among us, most of the bar menu was smashed out, including that dope fresh soup. I love the simplicity... I mean a hearty chicken broth base with the tomato and bread added... then that perfectly poached egg!!! Supersize me on my next visit which will be soon.

Other highlights included some exceptional wines -- but I'll defer to some of the other peeps there tonight!

A big "chen-cui" to Derek and the gang!!!!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis

It's like Jaws or somefink, me old mucker.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back and fry lemons." Three words: Stuffed pig. Unbelievable.

(Edited to add: Try a Bronx or two -- it's the 19th Century Gin and Juice.)

Edited by iamthestretch (log)

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

It's like Jaws or somefink, me old mucker.

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back and fry lemons." Three words: Stuffed pig. Unbelievable.

(Edited to add: Try a Bronx or two -- it's the 19th Century Gin and Juice.)

Stuffed young pig most certainly turned me into a stuffed mid-to-late thirties pig.

Just another chapter in the book of Palena beatdown issuances.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I choose to BIKE to Palena last night, cursing each hurried being in his fancy car and breaking all the basic laws of traffic along the way. I was mean and clown-like, but I needed soup with an egg (rhodegirl, you inspired me).

And the trip was well worth every last ounce of effort, every single drop of sweat. That soup is brilliant.

A lemon yellow broth and the floating pillow of a poached egg,

that with one little pierce glistens

like bright sunshine burning out the morning haze.

In my mouth, the oldest of flavors.

A simply smooth broth and rich tomato.

Spoon to tongue, that regal egg.

The yoke, soft and balancing,

coating like a cleanest piece of toro may.

...and the lone fried sage leaf floating about,

in itself,

is worth a whole other festival of my nonsensical words.

I can't say much more that hasn't been said.

I love that Ruta bread that comes with the cheese plate; maybe my favorite bread in the whole wide world.

Companions, do tell the others about the Chateau du Ruta Zin, so specially labeled with a mere strip of masking tape. A heavenly treat from the cellar, I have to say.

I can't wait to return with an even emptier stomach.

in itself,

Morela, your poem should be printed on the menu. How could anyone resist ordering soup that inspires poetry? :smile: Now you're inspiring me to come up with an excuse to go back to Palena as soon as possible...

In the middle of winter

when it is dark and gray

and it has been way too long since I last had a fresh tomato

I am going to dream of Chef Ruta's

Roman bread and tomato soup

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Palena last night was sweet. I went with my boyfriend (PLM) who had never been and my good friend whom I shall call Faux-Veg. Faux-Veg was in the group that went with me the first time. Needless to say, she too enjoyed her second visit much more than the first. Last night's meal was first rate.

Faux-Veg had the pasta alla chittarra with rabbit ragu (see why I call her that??), I had a burger (again, I am hooked), and PLM, a hearty eater, indulged in the tuna followed by a burger.

It was all fabulous, but what made the meal so enjoyable was 1. the service (hello to Evan and Derek) and 2. the wonderful cocktails. Faux-Veg had a sweet version of Derek's Copenhagen Citroen (aquavit, lemon juice, simple syrup). I had the famous Sidecar. For seconds, we both had some wonderful concoction with gin, dry vermouth, sweet vermouth, anise-flavored bitters and fresh orange juice. Awesome.

PLM stuck with the Sidecar--and loved it once it was transfered to a highball glass. He's a pain in the ass sometimes. Sound like anyone you know? :blink:

Good times...

Evan was kind enough to point out the presence of Mr. Jarad Slipp. I didn't interrupt his meal to introduce myself though.

Oh, and this part amused me: PLM is unaware of egullet. I prefer to keep this great little world to myself so before he arrived, I asked Derek and Evan to ixnay on the egullet mentions. They were discreet, but when I got the check, I noted on the bottom "Reference: JUptown." PLM did not notice, but it made me smile.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

I choose to BIKE to Palena last night, cursing each hurried being in his fancy car and breaking all the basic laws of traffic along the way.  I was mean and clown-like, but I needed soup with an egg (rhodegirl, you inspired me).

And the trip was well worth every last ounce of effort, every single drop of sweat.  That soup is brilliant.

in itself,

I can't say much more that hasn't been said.

I love that Ruta bread that comes with the cheese plate; maybe my favorite bread in the whole wide world.

Companions, do tell the others about the Chateau du Ruta Zin, so specially labeled with a mere strip of masking tape. A heavenly treat from the cellar, I have to say.

I can't wait to return with an even emptier stomach.

you've inspired my new signature line. love it.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

If you’ve had a bad day, or week, or for that matter, month, go to Palena Café and order the gnocchi.

These fluffy, cloud-like golden little dumplings will melt in your mouth and make you smile. When I had the dish the other night, it was served in a sauce of mushrooms (hen o' the woods, I believe), butter and other delectable ingredients that escape me at the moment. I’m pretty sure pancetta was involved. It’s hard to say because I tend to fall into a daze whenever I’m eating the gnocchi at Palena Café. Details fall by the wayside. So do life’s annoyances, such as the vexing question as to why the Red Sox are yet again frittering away their chance to win the pennant.

But I digress.

I believe the gnocchi is almost always on the menu. The sauce changes depending on the season.

To guarantee the evening’s success, bring along a couple of loved ones and, in addition to the gnocchi, order the Roman-bread-and-tomato-soup-that-inspires-poetry, the boudin blanc, the caeser salad, and the pasta alla chitarra with rabbit ragu. (Noodles made on the 'chitarra', or guitar, a frame strung with music wire, used to cut fresh pasta into strands.)

But even if you order just the gnocchi and a glass of wine, I promise, at least for that evening, all will seem right in the world again.

And as you leave, you'll find yourself thinking 'hey, there's always the wild card'. :cool:

Glad you enjoyed it, eunny! (While at Straits, mdt and I strongly encouraged her to RUN, not walk, to Palena and spend, spend, spend that gift certificate).

I myself finally made it there last week... what a wonderful experience to have after a long Friday at work. I sunk into one of the Cafe's banquettes, then proceeded to be thoroughly charmed by the ambiance and the music. I did not mind waiting for a friend delayed on the Metro one bit... no, sir. Especially not after I requested a gin and tonic and was encouraged by Derek to try the pickled martini instead! I'm now a Hendricks (gin) fan. So delicate, but still packs a punch.

Between my friend and I, we had the gorgonzola dolce plate, the regular cheese plate, the fries, the tuna, and the chicken. And more drinks, of course (wine for her, a Sidecar for me). Finished with the chocolate/toffee dessert. I'm not going to echo previous posters' spot-on comments on the food, except to second (tenth?) that the Cafe menu is such a wonderful value. I can't believe that the chicken is only $9! It was such a large portion that I took most of it home and was inspired to make a stir-fry with the leftovers--to me they were crying out for a Chinese treatment, I think because of the star anise (?).

Carolyn and Derek get mad props for being so all-around good at what they do. I very much appreciated Derek's friendly welcome and Carolyn's willingness to track down a couple of caramels--in the middle of the dinner rush--so that my friend could try them for the first time.

Erin

[heresy]

You know, I actually didn't love that pappa. The egg was the teensiest bit overdone - the bread wads and tomato bits were such separate, distinct things, just hanging out in the same broth - a creamier yolk, broken and swirled about, would have done wonders towards coherence.

[/heresy]

The bacon was excellent, crisp and melting - the fries (oh, those lemons, some traced a little with juice-gone-caramel showing through the batter) were delicious - and the tuna was beatiful, so startlingly of the sea, so clearly fish, with some tapenade to give it fishy emphasis with no hint of fishiness.

I never, ever, ever eat dessert - can't abide gloppy sweet things - but when shown the dessert menu, the pear tart stood out immediately. The passionfruit sorbet, puckeringly tart and crunchy with seeds, against the shattering tart shell and the silky custard and those pearly, pristine pear slices - how do they cook those pears? They're soft and yielding with just a little snap - goodness me. My boyfriend got some chocolate toffee thing that I didn't even bother to taste, as I was busy licking my plate.

And that Derek is some bartender. Though clearly slammed with things in the back, the front, and outside, he was kind and thoughtful - and he didn't make me feel like a wine idiot, pouring glasses for me that were like loupes for the thing the plate, bringing out unnoticed details and blooming subtler tastes.

Dug it - and how.

Glad you enjoyed it, eunny!  (While at Straits, mdt and I strongly encouraged her to RUN, not walk, to Palena and spend, spend, spend that gift certificate).

Ahh. We went "just to have a drink and scope it out" - didn't even use it. And actually, the bill was a LOT gentler than I expected, which is wonderful, since it means I'm going to deposit my broke butt on those stools as often as possible going forward.