• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bakersfield

malachi

C'mon you all! Bakersfield isn't all that bad! Well, maybe I shoulda stopped at "isn't all that" :wink: . But there's a shopping center I believe off Ming Ave (which is like a main exit off the highway) called The Marketplace. There are several places to eat in there, one being called I THINK Mama Gina's. We had a couple of great meals there and it's a pretty nice place. They've also got a little place that's some sort of diner type thing...it might be Johnny Rocket's that's just next to the theater in there. There is also a little gas station place somewhere in that area that has a little store associated with it and they make the best prime rib sandwiches. Sorry I can't think of the name of it, but if you were to go into the Marketplace and ask someone they'd probably know..the place is family owned and has a little gift shop inside it too. We have friends who live at some country club down the street there; I will call them and find out the name of the place and the street it's on.

Sorry, just checked out Hollywood's link...the deli I am pretty sure is the Brookside and I'm sure it was on Coffee Rd. Also, the Italian restaurant isn't Mama Gina's ...it's Mama Toscas and I just remembered that the Tahoe Joes is in that same shopping center(The Marketplace). It's a very pretty place and I was shocked that it was in Bakersfield. Also, there's some GREAT clothing stores in there. Sorry you have to be there for so long.we were just there for a couple of days :smile:

You can still get an amazing house in Bakersfield for little moolah, but what's the point?

No kidding, cmv! Our friends have a gorgeous home at the country club there on a really lovely golf course and I don't think they paid over $250K for it. It was looking sort of enticing to me until I realized that I'd have to live in Bakersfield....NO THANK YOU! :raz: