• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Hooters

Fat Guy

the place was very bright and looked more like a diner than a sleazy joint.  i found it odd that the place was filled with families with small children, and this was 10 PM on a saturday night.  very odd indeed.  although, the menu, TVs, and music suggest that it's a place that you could certainly bring your family, or where young people might bring dates.  both of those groups seemed well represented.

Families -- wow. I've never been in the Hooters in Cleveland's westside suburbia before it closed (it was very short lived), so I would imagine that would be the case too. The one I've been to was not at all in a family friendly place -- Cleveland's Flats -- the "entertaiment complex" of downtown. They were almost always groups of guys. My temporary roomie paid her month's rent to me after three days at work and found an apartment that she was able to plop a deposit and first month's rent in no time. She always seemed to have fun at work and never came home crabby.

Sleazy no. It was always bright with attractive polished oak woodwork gleaming. Honestly, probably the cleanest restaurant on the entire eastbank....but you gotta know Cleveland!

due to my never-ending quest to further discussion on egullet, and for chicken wings, i found myself at Hooters the other night.

Thanks for the, uh, research. I admire your dedication to the quest for knowledge. :wink:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I can understand having a Hooters in San Francisco.  I can understand having a Hooters in Buffalo.  I can understand having a Hooters in all sorts of places.

But a Hooters in REHOBOTH BEACH, DELAWARE?

I noted this while visiting Rehoboth last weekend for my annual summertime beach vacation. They didn't look too busy. Compared to, say, the Frog Pond around the corner with its lines out the door.

Maybe they'll open in Washington's Dupont Circle next. :blink:

• 1 month later...

There was an article in the paper about the Hooters airline. One passenger interviewed was on the flight because his wife booked it. He's a self-described "white knuckle flier" and she figured the distraction would help.

I have a question for the ladies out there.  Would you rather go to a strip club featuring women, or men?

Why pick one?

Seriously, the one and only such club I went to was something rather unusual -- it was run by this German expatriate whose taste was considerably closer to CABARET than to Hooters. So there was a "performance" aspect to the acts that I haven't seen from the more stereotypical places. So I, as a woman, felt comfortable there.

As for the acts, there were mostly women, but there were a couple men too (there was a fire eater who entered clad only in a leather loincloth, but then after a few minutes he dropped that to do some VERY interesting things involving a chain, a match, and something pierced on his person). The performance aspect was entertainng enough, and when it wasn't, I was also amused watching the reactions of the guys in the group.

Edited by Callipygos (log)

• 1 year later...

:raz: Celery Jenga :huh:

My apologies on bumping this topic - but I've had a couple of the most hysterically funny times at the Hooters here in Austin recently and well, I can't help myself.

My hub & I have terrifc friends from Scotland we hang with. They love Hooters (ok I think he loves it more but whatever) and take their kids too. They go on and on about the wings. Right.

One night after many beers at a local sports bar, our friends talked us into going to Hooters. I had never been and was shocked to see how bright it was inside.

My second shock was the IQ level of our waitress. Now granted I wasn't the sharpest either having consumed quantities of beer. Our friends took over on ordering the wings, but I was adamant that we should have enough celery and ordered 2 for every person. Since there were 5 of us - to me that meant 10 pieces of celery. After about 20 minutes we got our beer. 20 minutes later the wings. Getting a picture here of the service?

10 minutes later our waitron appears with another waitron carrying two giant platters of celery. Oh boy!

I got roundly razzed for the mis-order and banned from talking to the waitress ( :wacko: ) However I redeemed myself by finding a use for all that celery. Celery Jenga.

We had lots of fun with that and finally it was time to go home. Our waitron was truly dissappointed that we did not want to take all the extra celery home in a doggy bag and just couldn't understand why we would leave it.

Cindy G.

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

Since this thread has been bumped:

The DE locations are not limited to Rehoboth Beach, there is another somewhere in the mid-state area, and another couple up in the northern part of the state. I have personally visited the one on US Route 40 a couple times, with the following being my experience:

General crowd (at this location) tends to be a couple families, a bunch of 20 something guys, and then a good amount of Bikers/Truckers. In fact, I can't recall a time I have ever been there and there hasn't been a line of Harleys parked out front.

In general the service is fine, and friendly, and the atmosphere is bright and cheery. They have good drink and food specials on NFL game-days, and a couple big TVs if you lack one of your own. As per the wings: I am an avid consumer of buffalo wings. I used to really enjoy the breaded wings with 3-mile island sauce (I believe 911 sauce is Cluck-U's hottest, btw, but maybe Hooters in different areas use different names for their heat levels). Since having to swear off of the breaded wings, and go 'naked' I have been much less impressed. The huge amount of breading really makes the wings seem much larger and meatier. When you get down to the skin/mean/bones of it the wings Hooters uses are pretty dinky. So, for my tastes now, there are better places to get wings, but hey, the atmosphere isn't bad, and when just out with a bunch of the guys looking to drink a bit, grab a bite to eat, watch someone hitting someone else on TV, and possibly get flirted with at the same time, Hooters it he place to be.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Good spot Al Some excellent info there!

One way that I choose my spots is to make sure that I can dine while

Oldies blare away in the background

Blaring is something that I always look for first!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The SF Hooters really cracks me up. IMHO probably only tourists go there. I lived in SF many many moons ago. I would have loved to work there too (if it existed way back then) just to get some boy action - but that's another story.

My second story for Hooter's is second hand - and really involves another stellar establishment - Bone Daddy's.

When evaluating Hooter's waitresses, my married male friends (and my hub) use the gold standard value of "the waitress at Bone Daddy's whose ear you could blow through (to the other side)".

Said waitress remarked upon my Scottish friend's accent wondering where he was from. After hints such as, "kilts", "bagpipes" and "Scottie dogs", she replied, "oooh, I know where you are from, Switzerland!".

I don't think I would eat the wings there without the breading though..... ick. :raz:

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~