• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All About Hooters

Fat Guy

I have a fur jockstrap. In fact I bought three of them in Alaska. On our honeymoon. So there.

:blush: Ohhhhhh! The men of eG come clean and specify personal undergarments here! :blink:

Steven you bought one of those things!? I've seen them in my homestate, but always wondered ..... :laugh:

Sam! Did it help with the high notes? Sort of Cirque du Soleil-ish artsy revealing? :raz:

edit: sorry folks, I was laughing too hard to think straight. Visuals, oh the visuals!

Edited by beans (log)

Steven you bought one of those things!?

No.

I bought three.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I have a fur jockstrap. In fact I bought three of them in Alaska. On our honeymoon. So there.

Ellen? Backup? Commentary? Anything????

Is the fur on the inside or the outside? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ellen? Backup? Commentary? Anything????

Is the fur on the inside or the outside? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are those crickets I hear?

--

Right of passage, of sorts,  for teenage boys and their dads.

A former coworker and temporary roommate worked there as a manager. Teenage boys with their dads were few and far between. A guy seeking a pretty girl serving them draft and wings while watching the football game was just about par for the course. (Fill in appropriate sporting event as needed).

Sex appeal sells, but no! That's not news, is it? (toothpaste, mouthwash, mints, clothing, hair styling products, shaving products....)

edit: I have to accept I can't type! :hmmm:

Edited by beans (log)

it's not as though guys are rushing off to the restrooms to rub one out halfway through their chicken wings and buds.

Now that's a picture... :blink:

Funny, as a woman I would feel more comfortable in a strip club than I would in Hooters. Not sure why.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Funny, as a woman I would feel more comfortable in a strip club than I would in Hooters.  Not sure why.

you've been to both? or is this just speculation.

as a man i feel more comfortable at Hooters for sure. i think it's probably due to the fact that i feel uncomfortable around the people who hang out in strip clubs. i try to go to the "high class" strip clubs for that reason. they keep the riff-raff out.

Funny, as a woman I would feel more comfortable in a strip club than I would in Hooters.  Not sure why.

I've been to strip clubs. Never been to Hooters, and feel really weird about even going in.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I've been to strip clubs. Never been to Hooters, and feel really weird about even going in.

The Wayne NJ Hooters is quite pleasant, and not at all sleazy. It's basically a restaurant / bar with waitresses in orange hot pants or skorts and tight shirts, and a few guy waiters in orange slacks and white, somewhat tight shirts. The waitstaff is perfectly adequate, and not unattractive to view. Burgers are better than average, beer is beer.

My wife has been in many more Hooters than I have. She has visited several Hooters when she travels to pick up T-shirts for me. It's like any other bar, really.

Hooters sells the sizzle of sex, not the steak of contact. They do a good job of it, move a lot of product. One of the guys in the office reminded me "the girls of Hooters" have done at least one feature photo selection in Playboy magazine.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Ehh.

While I've never been to a strip club, I have a relative who has worked at one (just say no and don't ask), and I HAVE been to Hooters on several occasions, because I used to work as a waitress at a Chi-chi's (the horror! and YES, I KNOW that Chi-chi's is crude colloquial Mex Spanish for "hooters") in Overland Park, Kansas, and Hooters, across the street, was the only place open for a drink after a long Saturday night shift. They used to comp us wings because we tipped well.

As a woman, and quite apart from the mediocre wings and fairly decent (for KC) frozen orange margaritas, I am far more comfortable going inside a Hooters than I would be going to a strip club, and I really don't give that much of a damn about strip clubs. The relative who worked there had one boss who hit on everyone, was subsequently fired and replaced by a very businesslike guy, she got in fantastic shape from the dancing, but it wasn't a healthy place for her to work from the standpoint of her self-esteem and I'm very glad she quit.

Hooters just feels like a different animal to me--we'd sit around and talk biz with the waitrons when things cleared out and they were always pretty happy with their situations job-wise--they knew they were hired for their looks, but as someone else mentioned further back, Hooters trained them well for future waitron jobs and the "sex sells" aspect meant big, er, tips.

K, who probably would have worked there herself had she the necessary physique.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The relative who worked there had one boss who hit on everyone, was subsequently fired and replaced by a very businesslike guy, she got in fantastic shape from the dancing, but it wasn't a healthy place for her to work from the standpoint of her self-esteem and I'm very glad she quit.

That isn't always the case for entertainers in a strip club. More than half of the girls that worked in the club I bartended at were very calculating business women. They often have a target figure they were aiming for to earn that night and were quite comfortable that they weren't totally nude, and actually with themselves on the whole. We had med, law and undergrad college students as well as a few professional types -- a realtor, photographer and a financial analyist. They never viewed that they were kowtowing to exploitation nor degrading themselves to the desires of men, quite the opposite. They were in control and enticed a repeat business of regulars, exploiting mens' desires and earning a hefty income. One of the many aspects I found interesting as I observed while I was busy pouring their cocktails and fetching their ice waters....

Since I bartended in one, I'm never squeemish about going to one. We've taken our expo there for an impromptu bachelor night out after work one night and running into some familiar faces catching up on chit chat has been fun. Hooters isn't much different than any of the current trendy bars in the chic warehouse district clubs -- the female barstaff are usually in tank tops and minis or shorts. Where I work, we are in either choice of shorts or tennis skirts and fitted baby tees.

The Hooters across the river were in tank tops and orange shiny gym like shorts. Just a different promotion doing the same thing we are doing at my place of employ or any of the busy clubs. Handsome guys, lovely women, all young people selling food and drink busy making a living to pay their bills!

When my parents first retired and moved down to Florida, we ate at Hooter's a few times during my visits. The food was ok, about on par with the other places they chose. There was something we liked on the menu, oysters or clams? I forget exactly what now.

Being served by nubile young things didn't bother me so much as the idea that management had to have refused to hire anyone that didn't look good in crop tops and short gym shorts.

Being served by nubile young things didn't bother me so much as the idea that management had to have refused to hire anyone that didn't look good in crop tops and short gym shorts.

but katherine, don't you think that's the unwritten policy for many many bars/restaurants that cater to a youngish male clientele?

Edited by tommy (log)

That concept is hardly limited to Hooters! It is all about image, and that was stressed when I was hired by Disney, Ann Taylor and by The Ritz Carlton. Those positions that are in the public eye and in direct contact with guests/customers, thus directly affecting business, image is quite important.

but katherine, don't you think that's the unwritten policy for many many bars/restaurants that cater to a youngish male clientele?

It just seemed that the range of types of females I saw serving there was much narrower than any place I'd seen before. In most places they seem to self-select, but here it was clear that a good-looking good worker might not be hired. That and the fact that it wasn't a bar, as much as you may feel it was, it was a restaurant, with a full menu, and drinks on the side.

a tied up bag of ice to put in your pitcher if for some reason you are not drinking beer quickly enough.

That would totally gross me out.

I'm assuming the ice is in a plastic (or leakproof) bag so that it cools without watering down the cerveza.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.