• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Newcomers to Add Spice to DC Area

vengroff

I've recently been hearing about two new Mexican restaurant projects that sound intriguing. First, Jose Andres plans to open a Mexican restaurant in Virginia. Second, New York's high-end Mexican stalwart Rosa Mexicano plans to open a branch office in Jose's current backyard in the Penn Quarter. I've heard no dates for the former, but I've heard the latter is expected some time this fall.

Does anyone have any further information on these two projects? I really look forward to trying both of them when they open.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

There was an in depth article in the Post Business section not too long ago on the revitalization of Crystal City which focused on the new Mexican restaurant catty corner I believe to another Jaleo branch. I thought I read late summer 2004.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Don't forget Jeff Tunk's new place downtown (I think) too.

Right, it is downtown; I saw a sign in the window a couple of weeks ago. Ceiba or something like that is the name. Is it Mexican too? For some reason I was thinking Caribbean, but I could be 100% wrong.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

I think it's going to encompass Carribbean, Mexican, and South American cuisines. I really can't remember my last discussion with Tunks, but I remember a lot of talk about ceviches.

What was the address approximately?

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

What was the address approximately?

I just saw it out the window while driving by. I'd say F or G and somewhere between 11th and 13th or so. Just east of the White House.

MadVal, Seattle, WA