• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Supply in LA

Hollywood farmers market fish??? Really? I always find John ( petes dad) to be rude and his fish to be just comercially bought and resold, not fresh catch. So many times they have fish like farmed salmon or african lobster tail, or chilean seabass, that I am sure do not come from waters anywhere near San Pedro. I prefer Anjin II at the Santa monica markets on Weds and Sat. Local fish and when its not they tell you where it is from. Also the shrimp people from Santa Barbara at S.M. markets seasonaly. I second 99 ranch market too.

Harveys Guss Meats is about the best LA has to offer unless you want to order whole shells of beef or whole ribroasts. For the individual who wants a steak or 2 or 5 Harvey is the way to go. I do not believe it is KOSHER though.

Veggies = Any farmers market and there are lots.

When at surfas try to press them for a 5 or 10 pct. industry discount if you work in food biz.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

• 2 months later...

Can someone inform me where exactly is the Santa Monica Farmer's Market? I'm a transported New Yorker recently relocated to West L.A. It's not easy finding wild salmon in this town nor affordable organic produce (besides Whole Foods, Ralph Fresh Fare).

Arizona between 2nd & 4th today and Saturday. Also, isn't there another Saturday market on Cloverfield and a Sunday one somewhere around Ocean Park. There are others in West LA. The LA Times Food section web site lists them all. Here's the link.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Can someone inform me where exactly is the Santa Monica Farmer's Market?  I'm a transported New Yorker recently relocated to West L.A.  It's not easy finding wild salmon in this town nor affordable organic produce (besides Whole Foods, Ralph Fresh Fare).

JFLinLA answered your question about the Wed. farmers market in Santa Monica. I believe it's from about 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. If you're looking for organic, the Wed. farmers market in Santa Monica is the place to go. The Sat. market at the same location (from about 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.) is probably the next best thing, but it is smaller than the Wed. market. The Hollywood farmers market (Sundays) also has a fair amount of organic produce.

The Sun. farmers market in Santa Monica is on Main and Ocean Park. It has some organic produce, but not more than most other farmers markets.

The other Saturday farmers market in Santa Monica is (or was) on Cloverfield and Pico. (I heard they moved it to the Santa Monica airport a couple months ago. I don't know if this was temporary or permanent.) It doesn't have very much organic stuff.

As for markets, aside from Whole Foods, there is a decent selection of organic stuff at the Coop in Santa Monica and Erewhon on Beverly, a little east of Fairfax. If you're near a Wild Oats, you can check them out as well.

Thanks JFLinLA and Arkestra I finally checked out the Santa Monica Arizona Blvd. location. Splendid organic produce selection with attractive prices to boot. I'll have to drive to Wild Oats tomorrow for more affordable grocery shopping than Whole Foods (Santa Monica/ Wilshire Blvd.). Btw, am I the only one who get a tad nervous driving to their underground garage. Talk about abusing your car if you're not careful.

Can anyone recommend a fish market for wild salmon in Santa Monica/ West L.A. area. Thanks.

Check out my weekly LA Times Digests on the Media Board. Last week Russ did sardines but a few weeks prior he had a whole article on all the great places to get seafood around town. On the westside, that means everthing from Santa Monica Seafood to Japanese places on Sawtelle.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 1 month later...

New to this forum, glad I found it!

Is there anyplace in LA where I can get a goose at a reasonable price? When I lived in Minneapolis, I could buy game and lamb at the farmer's market, but no such opportunity exists here. I suppose an alternative would be to drive down to San Gabriel/Monterey Park and pick up a duck at Ranch 99...

Thanks!