• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Supply in LA

have you tried santa monica seafood? haven't been there in some time, as i'm now east of there, here "fish king" in glendale RULES, but they used to be super.

(i second the surfas suggestion, and they have "fancier" and hard to find items, at great prices.)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Whole Foods has great seafood but their prices tend to be rather outrageous ($14.95 per lb for hailbut tho it was really good). Fish King in Glendale is a wonderful market, and they do have a wider selection including a number of whole fish that they will clean for you, but their prices are not that much less than WF. Have you tried any of the Asian markets? I'm rather partial to the 99 ranch on Sepulveda in Van Nuys. Live lobsters @ $7.99 per lb, they will also cook whatever fish you buy if you like. Other option is the fish guy at the farmer's mrkt in Hollywood on Sunday. He sells out of a lunch truck, with a pretty good selection of super fresh fish (he's located in San Pedro), but you need to get there somewhat early as he tends to sell out pretty fast. He also sells at the West Hollywood farmer's mrkt on Monday at Plummer Park, in case you can't get it together on Sunday morning (like me), to do your shopping. Hope this helps.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Other option is the fish guy at the farmer's mrkt in Hollywood on Sunday. He sells out of a lunch truck, with a pretty good selection of super fresh fish (he's located in San Pedro), but you need to get there somewhat early as he tends to sell out pretty fast. He also sells  at the West Hollywood farmer's mrkt on Monday at Plummer Park, in case you can't get it together on Sunday morning (like me), to do your shopping. Hope this helps.

I think he's also in Westwood on Thursday afternoon.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Naw man, he's good. Stuff I've gotten from him was super fresh and he's charming as well, especially if you're a regular. Sure beats the holier than thou attitude at WF.

Russ, thanks so much, Pete's name momentarily escaped me - I've bought fantastic tuna and swordfish from him. BTW I enjoy reading your stuff in the Times - have you ever done an article on Pete and his dad?

They have a very cool scene with that truck.

For the more high-end meats, my partner and I usually head over to Bristol Farms. Good fresh produce, on the other hand, can be found at any of the farmer's markets.

We'll not discriminate great from small.

No, we'll serve anyone - meaning anyone -

And to anyone at all!

Just a few thoughts. Beverly Hills Cheese store for cheese. Must ask for Tony. Taste your way through your selections. For meats I go to different places depending on the cut I want. Ventura Kosher for veal shoulder which I have them trim a particular way. I also get the same part in grown beef. For lamb I go to Cost co. For regular steaks I go to Bristol Farms. For fish I go to Gelsons. For the small tomatoes Bristol Farms. For mushrooms Plaza Market on Western ( Korean). For the rest of the green grocery Gelsons or Tiera Rejada farms or the markets in Santa Monica or?

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

i moved back to la from ny a year ago and have come to the conclusion: the la food supply sucks*. the * being maybe for fish and definitely for produce, which is about as good as it gets anywhere. i see no reason to go to over-priced, usually subpar grocery stores (e.g., bristol, whole foods, gelsons) for produce when every day of the week you can find plenty of farmer's markets around the city (santa monica wed/sat and hwood sun being 2 of the best). as for fish, i live too far from santa monica to make it a regular stop. fish king in glendale, however, is top notch. as for meat, let's just say a real butcher does not exist in la. someone please prove me wrong. i'd love nothing more than to find one, but so far nothing. the place in the old farmer's market is weak at best. and as for specialty items, well i've given up just about. foie gras is difficult to find, but there is a french wholesaler in the valley (made in france) that sells flash frozen from france. they even sell pre-sliced in packs of 2 slices if the full lobe is too much. quality olive oil is another problem area for me. even when i find good stuff, which is very rare, it's usually been sitting on the shelf for too long (i.e., 2001 harvest at best being sold now at extremely high prices). surfas is decent for supplies (but prices nowhere near what broadway panhandler used to do for me) and the food is just fair, but overpriced in my opinion.

just my 2 cents. i'd be glad for people to tell me i'm nuts and suggest places to go, specifically for meat, olive oil, poultry.

as for meat, let's just say a real butcher does not exist in la.  someone please prove me wrong

Here you go: Harvey's Guss Meat Co 949 S Ogden Dr Los Angeles CA (323) 937-4622. Too late to call now until Monday.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

hollywood,

thnx. is guss kosher?

btw, i did get some very good veal loin at bel air meat market (which oddly sported a "b" rating in the window at the time) a few months ago, but at close to $30/lb. it's hard to justify on a regular basis.

hollywood,

thx again, but i doubt the salting process to "kosher" the meat will get me where i want to be

Harvey's cool Don't write him off. His meat is really good. And maybe I'm wrong. He just doesn't cut meat on Saturday, that's all.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 2 weeks later...

Just held a "cofit confab" last night to teach some friends the technique--got 15 lbs of great duck legs/thighs for $1.29 lb at 99 Ranch Market (the one I go to is at Valley and Del Mar (in San Gabriel). MMMMMMMmmmmmm, duck legs!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook