• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

LA Dumpling lunch

tissue

I'm the redhead, second from the left. My sister, Laurel, is to the left of me - she came along for the ride once she heard dumplings were on the menu :biggrin: Thanks to tissue for organizing the lunch, and to everyone for the wonderful company.

I'm still laughing at the number of times the waitresses commented on how much food we had ordered. Not a problem, when it was all so good!

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Today's eGulleteers:  Table for 10, please!  Please identify yourselves if you wish - I'm horrible at names and nicknames.

Well, I can tell you are LA people by the 40% sunglass population. But which one is Tissue?

I'm hopeful of finally checking out the xiaolong bao at a DTF when I get back to Shanghai in October (what was that about "coals to Newcastle"?) and then I'll know how envious to be of youse guys.

BTW, is there a Jerome in that lineup?

Tissue is the third girl from the left, and I'm the one standing behind her. Hope everyone had a good meal. There's definitely a big difference from our previous dinner and this meal. It was frantic bordering on chaos for those that aren't use to it. That's pretty standard for Chinese restaurants though, so I'm sure it didn't surprise anyone. Hope to see everyone soon at another egullet GTG!

I would like to thank everyone for coming out to Arcadia. It was so nice to meet the new people and to see mixmaster and beachfan again.

Thanks to foodzealot for the pictures. They came out great.

This was so much fun--the dumplings were amazing! I loved the classic pork dumplings with the hot broth inside, and also the soup dumplings. They were all so perfectly pleated--just beautiful, like tiny pieces of couture!

Today's eGulleteers:  Table for 10, please!  Please identify yourselves if you wish - I'm horrible at names and nicknames.

group_shot.jpg

I am third from the right, my fiance Trevor is at far right.

Many thanks to tissue and zephyr for hosting, and also to food zealot for the pix. (We should have made one of the non-e-gulleters take the pix so you could have been in the line-up!) :smile:

Many thanks to tissue and zephyr for hosting, and also to food zealot for the pix.  (We should have made one of the non-e-gulleters take the pix so you could have been in the line-up!) :smile:

I'm perfectly happy being anonymous... [grin] and you're welcome for the pix.

I was really intrigued by the Shanghai style - most of what I'm used to eating in terms of dumplings and dim sum is from Hong Kong, I believe. Overall, seems to be a bit more in the savory direction than Hong Kong. Comments?

I guess a question about Hakka restaurants belongs in it's own thread, yes?

~Tad