• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

teaNY

zilla369

Has anyone eaten at teaNY on Rivington in NYC? I'm a big Moby fan and not from NY, just curious if any e-gullet people have eaten there and what their take on it is. Of course all the teeny boppers at Moby's fansite love it, but i was hoping for a more objective opinion. I think it has a "mostly" vegetarian menu, and about a million different varieties of tea.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

By now, I wouldn't be sticking my neck out too far to say that no eGulleteers have eaten at this place. I've had some snack food at the former Saint's Alp, now Tea & Tea, on Mott St., and I don't think there's much reason to do so. At bubble tea places, stick to the tea: That's what they specialize in.

But what's Moby?

Michael aka "Pan"

I've known a few people that have eaten there, all with mediocre to semi-favorable reviews. My vegan brother has yet to go, but I can't imagine it displacing any of his favorite veggie restaurants in NYC (Vegetarian Paradise 2 is one, and I'd have to agree).

Moby stops in the restaurant nearly every day, and it's a great way to meet him, other than his infamous rooftop afterhours parties that he throws (I've been to one briefly). I'd be interested to see teaNY for reasons other than food or drink, since I can't imagine it being that good. Not that I dislike veggie restaurants -- I don't.

Much peace,

Ian Lowe

ballast/regime

"Get yourself in trouble."

--Chuck Close

Actually, TeaNY is fine and has none of the "Moby owns this place" attitude some might expect. In fact, the woman who runs it (one of moby's good friends) is nice and genuinely puts cares into the place and her food. I last went over a year ago so I can't vouch if things have changed. At the time (my haircutter was around the block) I was always served fresh, simple salads (a bit much at $9) but never ventured further into the menu.

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali

I like Teany a lot: the lists of teas are overwhelming, but if you go for something simple, it can be great.

I hear the vegan cheesecake is supposed to be one of the best cakes in the city--who knows, but I've been curious to try it. And, the turkey club (I think that's what I got) is good, fake bacon and all. :-)

There's a very good possibility that Moby will be around if one happens to walk in... just the other day, I saw him with a bee-autiful lady, and an injured dog (one with those plastic funnels around its neck). It's a pretty chill place.