• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good fish markets?

I live in Ocean Grove and wish there was a first class fish market or even a supermarket with a quality fish department nearby, but if there is, I haven't found it.

The best I've been able to find is Esposito's fish market on Monmouth Road in Oakhurst, and I would say it's good but not great. I can usually find something decent at the retail stores at Havens and Hamptons, and Kleins, both in Belmar.

I think there's a Wegman's in Manlapan, but that's pretty far from the water...

I think there's a Wegman's in Manlapan, but that's pretty far from the water...

Before the Wegman's opened in Manalapan -- the proverbial stone's throw from my house -- I would never ever buy fish in a supermarket. However, Wegman's fish and seafood department is, in a word, extraordinary. They carry a very wide variety of items, and all their fish and seafood is as fresh and pristine as can be. Now, it's the only place I go to for fish. :smile:

If you are coming from a distance, the friendly and knowledgeable folks behind the counter will pack your fish in ice for the trip home.

When I lived down at the shore for a while in the '80s, the place for fish was Frazee's in Point Pleasant Beach. Right on the junction where 35 and 88 come together, opposite jenkinson's.

Does it even exist anymore? It was very local, you could see fishermen delivering their stuff in the back

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

The retail fishmarket at The Lobster House in Cape May houses, I believe, the second largest fishing fleet on the eastern seaboard. You can see the boats unloading their catch right behind the restaurant & market. Good selection, lots 'o lobsters sorted by size in their own tanks, etc. I'd go down and eat on the dock in the sunshine from the take out window (I just did this a couple of weekends ago {sigh}), then go into the market and buy whatever you like and have them pack it in a cooler for you. Apparently, they also ship everywhere Lobster House, so if you'd like, you don't even have to leave home.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'd recommend Jody's in Neptune and Spikes in Pt Pleasant Beach. If you are near the fishing boats, such as the Dauntless in Pt. Pleasant Beach where I fish and work from time to time, around 3:30 pm, you can also buy fresh caught fish, such as sea bass, for around $2 a lb whole, from the crew, who can also fillet it for you.

I'll second Spikes in Pt. Pleasant. They also cook & sell some of their catch on premisis, and have benches & tables so it can be a destination. Ray's Seafood in Little Silver is a good seafood store, and has a small storefront restaurant next door.

My only gripe about Wegmans is their prepared seafood prices. They'll roll a piece of salmon in slivered almonds and such, then double the price per pound...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Not near the shore but on Rte 17 South in the Hasbrouck Heights area just before the crest of the hill where the Crow's Nest Restaurant is.... there's a farm/vegetable market with a Hispanic name (sorry the name escapes me). There's a small flower shop attached to the front.... the produce is very good and prices low but best of all is the fish counter - not a huge selection but really fresh and the prices are good. I was pointed towards it by a friend whose GF is Brazilian - she cooks fish almost every night and they were living in Hasbrouck Heights for awhile. She swears by it. I've only been once but the monkfish I got was excellent and the truly colossal shrimp were phenomenal (and cheap at $11.99 lb).

Oceangroveguy, do you have any specific problems with Klein's? I've been happy, but mostly with fluke, tuna, clams and grouper. I have my Fridays when a trip to Kleins is part of the start of a great (Irish/Catholic) weekend. I somehow became friendly with a very cranky fishmonger at Havens& Hamptons, who would look at me like he hated me, then tell me what was the freshest, or offer to clean my crabs. He was a pretty scary guy, but when he left, I converted to Klein's. There's nothing better, for me, than sitting on their back deck, watching the party boats go by, and eating a fried scallop sandwich. In fact, we had my daughter's 11th birthday party there two years ago, and her music teacher at St. Rose Grammar School was the entertainment. He sang "Happy Birthday" in a totally embarrassing Springsteenesque manner. But Italian ices at Strollo's seemed to help her recover. So, from your kinda lukewarm response, what should I avoid? Am I enjoying Klein's just out of sentiment?

Mikes on 37W in Toms River comes to mind. Right off of 35 south on Mantoloking (county 528) is good. Sorry I don’t recall the name. Another place on Monmouth road in West Long Branch just north of Park Av. Off of 35 had great fish.

Living hard will take its toll...

Hot Canary-

My choice between Havens and Kleins often comes down to cash/check or credit card - Havens takes plastic and Kleins doesn't. I think the fish at both places is about equal quality, and the prices are about the same, too. Yesterday we went to Havens for steamers, last weekend we bought striper at Kleins. As we were leaving Havens yesterday my wife said she had a yen for dinner at Kleins before the weather changed, so I imagine we'll do that fairly soon, too.

Tautog, thanks for location of Jody's.

In the shopping center on 35 south at Sunset, there is now a sign inviting commercial tenants to "join Wegman's, summer 2004". I hope it's true.....