• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic Deliveries

I've been using Abel and Cole for a while now for a weekly fruit and veg delivery but I've been wondering if there's anything any better out there. Does anyone use anyone of note?

Abel and Cole are great: they deliver ontime and the variety is good but we've just moved from a portered building and i am a bit worried my veg might be stolen from my doorstep :-) (they can't deliver after work...)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I have been using Abel and Cole too, but there's also Simply Organic. They deliver on Saturdays, but have minimum order values of £35 for weekday deliveries and £45 for Saturday deliveries.

Edit to say:

Apparently these people can deliver between 5pm-10pm in London. The Organic Delivery Company

Edited by reddevil (log)

snap, snap and snap! I use Abel and Cole and really do believe that they are one of the best; great variety and nearly always excellent quality. I have seen others who deliver stinking, rotten veg in a brown paper sack :sad: . However, like you we are just moving out of a flat with a porter so I've just had to cancel the Abel and Cole order as I don't fancy leaving my spuds out all day, hopefully Egullet can help...

Hmm, we had a 'trial run' with Farmaround (yep, those big brown sacks) and were disappointed - the fruit was imported from far flung places when we were expecting if not local, at least British farm produced fruit and veg - I didn't really want a long-travelled pineapple when 6 apples would have been great! The veg was pretty poor quality as well.

They did leave it outside the door and it was perfectly safe and I've seen other people in our street with their delivery outside the door and it never seems to be touched (and this is in 'ackney).

Not that this is helpful to you as it is by no means a recommendation - but maybe I'll have a look at Abel and Cole now...

having just had a sneeky peek at the other providers, i am thinking that abel and cole win hands down for choice and variety. simple organics don't seem to tell you what the weekly selection is, for example.

i don't know if it's just me and my obsessive compulsive disorder, but i ration myself to not looking online at what's in my weekly box until tuesday and then i plan from there. this has become an important part of my week.

i hear what you say about supermarkets but i am really, really trying not to use them unless in dire circumstances. this is for both ethical and seasonal reasons: how can you know what's fresh and in season if you're constantly distracted by green beans from kenya?

where's that high horse? :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

They did leave it outside the door and it was perfectly safe and I've seen other people in our street with their delivery outside the door and it never seems to be touched (and this is in 'ackney).

Yeah but it was fruit n veg. Now if it had been a Mcdonald's delivery............(and before ye start. i was born and brung up in 'ackney)

We could always try these, although not too sure if they all deliver in London.

Organic Food Awards

i went back through the years and there was one in london (the fresh food company) but i called the number and they'd never heard of them.

abel and cole suggested that we get a spare green bin (islington council gives them out, i believe) and they would just upend it over the veggies. i can see this working, my only concern is that in the summer, my soft fruits may perish.

still, if anyone finds a good company, keen to hear reports.

suzi

Edited by tarka (log)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

Blogito ergo sum

Yeah but it was fruit n veg. Now if it had been a Mcdonald's delivery............(and before ye start. i was born and brung up in 'ackney)

On the contrary, people share their takeaways round here these days - many a time I've woken up to find a gift of last night's left over chips on my doorstep...

not directly on topic, but I think last week's Time Out referenced a delivery company that would deliver from the Borough Market food stalls. They deliver Friday evenings or Saturday mornings. Unfortunately I dont remember the name of the company (wasnt that interested because for me the primary pleasure of Borough lies in the going; although as it gets more crowded ......)

Thomas Secor