• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what's your favorite rum

twynn5586

Among readily available, affordable rums (or should I say rhums) I like Barbancourt, all qualities, from Haiti. They still use pure sugar cane juice, no blends, and it's a nice medium between a sugary, heavy dark and a clean light rum.

• 1 month later...

Pyrat xo favorite by far, but Barbancourt 3 star and 5 star age great too, Whalers Rare Dark is wonderful and not expensive, like Bacardi 8,Appleton Extra,Cruzan- all the Cruzans so far, Gosling Black Seal, - I dont own a rum I dont like so far, but I still havent found a great way to mix them- coke is ok- but too sweet for me for more than one drink- well not sweet really- too syrupy i wish coke tasted like it used to.

For high end: Havana Club 15yrs

For middle ground: Cuban Matusalem

For mixers: Havana Club anejo reserva

For a floater: Myers dark

For the sweeter side: Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 is impossible to beat

Edited by richl2214 (log)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

For me I would have to say the newest rum I have tried: Pyrat XO. Other than that my "go to" (Pyrat is not to be found in Jacksonville :sad: ) is Appleton's Extra and I love HC7 as well.

Oh yeah! Can't forget Ron Del Barrilito either! :smile:

Are you sure it can't be special ordered in Jacksonville?

I bought some Pyrat Pistol and XO from a little store just between Seaside and Panama City a few years ago. I believe the name of the store is Margaux. If he sells it, someone in Florida has to distribute it, right?

Do whatever you have to to get your hands on a bottle of Pyrat. It's worth the effort.

"Enjoy every sandwich."

Warren Zevon, 10/30/02

Hi,

My favorite is by far the El Dorado 25 yo. Extremely smooth with complex aromas. Not quite as heavy as the 15 yo but more balanced. Really great stuff!!!!!

After this I'd go for the Pyrat Cask 23. Much more intense and complex than the Pyrat XO. But you have to like this heavy orange aroma, which is even stronger than the XO. After getting used to it I really like it now.

The third place goes to Zacapa XO which is even (slightly) better than the regular Zacapa.

Bye

Markus

I hope you'll help me out. SO's favorite rum is Zaya (I'm pretty sure, but it might be with a "g"). It's around $40. I've tried other rums in this range, and he didn't like them as much. The problem is that Zaya is sold out a lot. Are there rums similar to it in terms of quality and taste? That is even though I don't know anything about rum, I'm sure it has different qualities. Something similar, please...

Thanks!

Hi,

There is only one answer to your question: Ron Zacapa Centenario!!!

It comes from the same destillery, has more or less the same aromas but it is even better than Zaya (but also slightly more expensive).

I would consider the Zaya as the "little brother" of Zacapa.

If he likes Zaya he will love Zacapa.

Bye

Markus

Edited by Markus Lewalski (log)