• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what's your favorite rum

twynn5586

Well, for the longest time I never really found my drink. I've had just about every type of alcohol (except rum until a few months ago) but I finally had some Captain Morgan Private Stock and It's the only thing I enjoy drinking straight. I also got a bottle of Bacardi Select, I can drink it straight but it's one of those "If it's the only thing I got left" things. Since I've been introduced to rum I've been looking in the internet for some quality stuff. I've been eyeing a bottle of Pyrat XO Reserve but I can't decide if I want to take the chance of spending forty some odd dollars on something I might not even like. Anyway, what could you suggest? Lastly, Captain Morgan Private Stock doesn't cost that much and it's my favorite choice right now but how would you rate it compared to lets say Pyrat XO Reserve?

Pyrat XO reserve is a very fine super premium rum and very limited production. Captain Morgan Private Stock really doesnt compare to it at all, thats a mass production rum.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I used to think captain morgan private stock was "The Good Stuff". Then I stumbled into the REAL Good Stuff. I haven't had Pyrat X.O. Reserve, but I have had Pyrat Pistol and the captain doesn't even come close.

There are plenty of rums that don't cost too much more than C.M.P.S. and taste much better. El Dorado Superior 12 yrs is $20 (plus Shipping @ Samswine.com) and in my opinion blows the captain out of the water. Pun intended.

Good luck and Salud!

I personally find Captain Morgan Private Stock to be very artificial tasting and very very sweet, with an added vanilla flavor. If you like sweeter rums I would try Ron Zacapa, which is a very fine rum.

Two rums I would try right off the bat if you are just getting started would be Appleton VX and Barbancourt Estate Reserve, these are fairly easy to find.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Before you spend a bundle on a bottle of expensive rum you owe it to yourself to try some of the rums that are bottled by the distiller for under $35.

Barbancourt 8 year old five star.

Pampero Anniversario

Ron Zacapa or look at some of the other threads on this forum. But if you are new to rum the best suggestion is to look for rums distilled and bottled by the distiller but having said that Montecristo is very good and it is a private label.

I finally opened a bottle of Captain Morgan Private Stock last week and couldn't get past the second sip. Oh well.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

My problem is that I don't buy rum in the U. S. anymore, perhaps partly because the Pa. state stores don't have it all. I usually bring enough back from cruises to keep me happy. Must admit to being partial to visiting certain islands, Barbados for Mount Gay Extra Old, Bermuda for Gosling's Black Seal, Tortola for Pusser's, and Puerto Rico for Bacardi 1873. While in San Juan last, was recommended El Dorado 5 yr. Demerara by the salesman. It was cheap and I now am awaiting my next trip to try and locate more of it and/or some of the higher priced varieties.

The next time you are in Puerto Rico, pick up some Ron Del Barrilito, it is one of my favorites and a bargain (even in the airport you can get it for less than $15). I haven't been able to find it in the U.S.

Since it's summertime here in Texas, rum and cokes are a common evening libation along with a Habano. The Capt Morgan makes an inexpensive and decent R&C. Mojitos made with HC3 are also nice, but the supply of HC3 is necessarily limited.

My premuims I still enjoy ocassionally; usually with friends. They include Ron Zacapa, HC Anejo Reserva, HC 15, and on special ocassions I'll tip the Matusalem 15 (Cuban). Having tried most of the others, I've 'distilled' my choices to these.

Given the limited selection of rums that I've had a chance to sip, I've thus far liked Doorly's XO the best. It was a great mix of some of the better qualities of Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva 15 Solera and Cruzan Single Barrel. Still, I've got a long way to go to get a chance to sip some other great rums mentioned here...

My favourite rumS are those from the Bristol Classic Rum range.

I like them all but my favourite is the Monymusk 21/23/25 (all from the same batch but bottled 2 years apart).

Also very partial to their Versailles 18yo.

• 1 month later...

To Jackal10

i read your posting with interest and would recomend to everyone Jack Iron Rum from Grenada and the companys more recent addition for those with more refined palletes White Jack.

on a more personal note, you say that Lemon Hart was a distant relative of yours, i have been trying to research his family because i live in london on a piece of land that was once reputed to be where The Lemon Hart family lived when they moved from Penzance, do you have any more information regarding the family, i would be really greatful for any help

Its gotta be Appleton Extra (12yrs old), Neisson xo from martinique, El dorado 15yr oldand if you can get a bottle then try the new Appleton 8 year old reserve...

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

• 4 weeks later...
The next time you are in Puerto Rico, pick up some Ron Del Barrilito, it is one of my favorites and a bargain (even in the airport you can get it for less than $15).  I haven't been able to find it in the U.S.

Ron Del Barrilito is fairly well distributed in NYC, although I don't recall if I've seen the gold, or just the silver label.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 weeks later...

For me I would have to say the newest rum I have tried: Pyrat XO. Other than that my "go to" (Pyrat is not to be found in Jacksonville :sad: ) is Appleton's Extra and I love HC7 as well.

Oh yeah! Can't forget Ron Del Barrilito either! :smile:

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

-- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC)